Rant Thread - Get it all out here

My hamster died yesterday :( He was old and he's been slow recently so we knew it was coming, but I didn't expect it to make me so sad :( He's the first pet I've had die since being in my own house (I've had other hamsters/fish die but when I was a kid and my parents would look after them). We got him a few months after moving in together, and bought him a big fancy cage with levels and tubes. He got little presents at Christmas and he only bit me and my OH a couple times when we first got him, since then he's been the lovliest, softest hamster. My OH is going to bury him in the garden later. I feel guilty for not wanting to look at him but I can't.

His cage is still in the living room, I don't know if the empty space would feel worse. This feeling has completely taken me off guard. I feel so sad

1 Like

Sorry for your loss LittleMugs. All animals right down to the smallest bugs have their own characters. I have never had the pleasure of taking care of a pet hamster but have seen that they are all very individual and their own ‘person’, i’m sure he gave you lots of joy in return for the love you gave him.

Slightly different situation but when my previous cat baby got run over my sister found her and wouldn’t allow me to see her. This was probably wise, sometimes it’s better to remember them as they were so try not to feel guilty about not wanting to see him.

Safe travels little hammie and love to you littlemugs.

1 Like

Thanks Amy, he was very much his own 'person' - everyone loved him loads.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat :( Yeah, I think you're probably right, I'll try not to feel too bad about it.

It's so weird, he was tiny and quiet but the house feels empty and silent without him, and I keep randomly crying. I'm an emotional person generally but I didn't expect to feel like this even in the slightest.

Thank you <3

LittleMugs wrote:

My hamster died yesterday :( He was old and he's been slow recently so we knew it was coming, but I didn't expect it to make me so sad :( He's the first pet I've had die since being in my own house (I've had other hamsters/fish die but when I was a kid and my parents would look after them). We got him a few months after moving in together, and bought him a big fancy cage with levels and tubes. He got little presents at Christmas and he only bit me and my OH a couple times when we first got him, since then he's been the lovliest, softest hamster. My OH is going to bury him in the garden later. I feel guilty for not wanting to look at him but I can't.

His cage is still in the living room, I don't know if the empty space would feel worse. This feeling has completely taken me off guard. I feel so sad

Oh LittleMugs! It doesn’t matter how small a pet is or how old they are, if you love them they become family. Thing about love is is squashes up into nothing so takes no space, you can love anything in equal measures because of this so a small pet can be as full of love as the biggest creature you can think of, maybe more.

Thinking of you hon X

Thank you Mr Pheebs, you explained the love perfectly.

Thank you, it means a lot to me x

LittleMugs wrote:

I'm so sorry for your loss - sending you lots of hugs xx

Oh little mugs that's really sad.

Oil the wheel, change the bedding and go rescue a new one from the RSPCA. Not to replace your hamster but to allow you to love another one.

Littlemugs - much love 💖💖

Ok, so this might be me working on for a bit, feel free to skip on by.

My OH has been unwell, breathlessness, coughing, very tired etc. Now it comes to light there was an episode of "gripping chest pain, that took him to all fours, unable to get his breath". So I was in the house at the time, in bed asleep, but not only did he get up and go downstairs, but he didn't tell me he had this episode. . . 2 weeks ago!

When I asked, he said he thought he was going to die. When he didn't and the pain subsided, he just wanted to move on. Didn't go to hospital, or anything, and went to see Dr 2 weeks after the event. Blood tests are inconclusive but after such a period of time that's not surprising.

On the plus side OH has decided to make some changes. He has stopped drinking. (He would drink 3-4 times a week, up to 5 times recently, of around 12-16 pints per time). He has not had an alcoholic drink in 2 weeks. He has been eating healthier, and been on a few small walks with Mutley and myself. So it might be "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted", but it can't be a bad thing.

Thanks for your patience, I know I have not been here much, but I have been very worried.

Oh LittleMugs, I agree with everyone else who's said he was clearly very special to you and there's nothing silly at all about feeling sad. He sounds like a really lovely pet. Size doesn't matter when it comes to love. It's totally understandable the way you're feeling. Please don't feel guilty about not wanting to see him now, though. You're remembering him as he was in his happiest way and that's OK.

Massive hugs for you ❤

FL - not surprised you have been worried. Good to hear he is making some changes.

Thinking of you both and hope all turns out well x

FunLouise you posted while I was writing my last message. It sounds like such a stressful time for you and your OH. I'm really glad to hear he is making some healthier changes, though! That's great and I hope it starts helping him and you feel better soon xx

Fun Louise wrote:

My OH has been unwell, breathlessness, coughing, very tired etc. Now it comes to light there was an episode of "gripping chest pain, that took him to all fours, unable to get his breath". So I was in the house at the time, in bed asleep, but not only did he get up and go downstairs, but he didn't tell me he had this episode. . . 2 weeks ago!

When I asked, he said he thought he was going to die. When he didn't and the pain subsided, he just wanted to move on. Didn't go to hospital, or anything, and went to see Dr 2 weeks after the event. Blood tests are inconclusive but after such a period of time that's not surprising.

On the plus side OH has decided to make some changes. He has stopped drinking. (He would drink 3-4 times a week, up to 5 times recently, of around 12-16 pints per time). He has not had an alcoholic drink in 2 weeks. He has been eating healthier, and been on a few small walks with Mutley and myself. So it might be "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted", but it can't be a bad thing.

Thanks for your patience, I know I have not been here much, but I have been very worried.

Totally understand why you have been so worried... It is good that he has made these changes, and I hope he is ok - sending you lots of hugs xx

Fun Louise wrote:

Hey Fun Louise, I can completely understand where you are at with this. I am a bit like your husband and this has happened a few times. I suffer from re-occuring chronic pericarditus and cardio tamponade. Which has caused my heart to fail a couple of times. Pericarditus is often caused by an infection/illness maybe a few weeks before the attack, the blood tests they would of been looking for sommething called troponin. Which highlights damage to the heart wall. The problem is the troponin levels are quick to go down and mine went down to normal after a week or so. Once the attack has happened you feel completely zapped for a month or two afterwards. Smaller occassions have zapped me for a couple of weeks. The bonus is that mostly this will only happen to a person once, i think i am pretty unlucky that i have the chronic version. Has he had a ECG? If it's all clear i would say carry on as normal but if he gets pain in the chest again to go straight to A&E and get one straight away as it will show up and then they can start a proper medication plan for him. To start with it will be steriods, NIADS and strong ass pain killers. Something to look out for is a fever, sweating buckets for no apparent reason and shortness of breath. As well as the obvious chest pain (my pain also goes into my shoulder and neck). He may also notice that his ankles and hands are a little swollen. The best way to ease the pain yourself is to raise your sholders when lying down. Keep cool (heat for some reason bothers me when i am going through an episode) and sleep lots. I found myself napping a few times a day for half an hour. I wish him the best and if it sounds familiar to you and your hubby then by all means shoot me any questions you may have.

Aww mugs I'm sorry.

So, this is a short rant but. Why is "tranny" still flung around in people's lingo? WTF people Why? I have a cousin who is transitioning and I was looking at my comments the other day and someone said I looked like a tranny. Gosh I hate that bloody word. Ugh

Thank you Scorpius, Louise, LNT, Bees and Nikita

All your kind words mean a lot to me.

My OH buried him last night, so he's been put to rest :(

I'm still sad, but I have decided I want a new pet to love and to add some life and happiness back into the house, I'm not completely sure if it'll be another hamster yet...his life seemed to pass so quickly.

Ideally, I'd love a dog, but my OH doesn't seem too keen on the idea so I'm still unsure of what we're going to do

Thanks again everyone <3

1 Like

Nikita - I'm sorry you had to deal with that, it's a gross word. Everyone deserves to be the person they truly are without ignorant comments.

Louise - sorry to hear about that, it must be really stressful. I hope he continues looking after himself, and I hope he lets you take care of him when he needs it

I hope everyone else going through things are doing okay <3

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes for OH.

K&C30's my OH has had an ECG and there were changes shown. The bold tests were not for tripod in as its too late for that but DDimers, instead, very similar but these were almost normal. He doesn't sweat and has "normal ancle swelling" and has had for years but nothing different. He expected to die when he had the pain, and when he didn't and the pain subsided he chose to ignore the problem, and nit seek medical help, not even tell me. I find out 2 weeks after the event! But on the plus side he seems to be making some changes.

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes for OH.

K&C30's my OH has had an ECG and there were changes shown. The bold tests were not for tripod in as its too late for that but DDimers, instead, very similar but these were almost normal. He doesn't sweat and has "normal ancle swelling" and has had for years but nothing different. He expected to die when he had the pain, and when he didn't and the pain subsided he chose to ignore the problem, and nit seek medical help, not even tell me. I find out 2 weeks after the event! But on the plus side he seems to be making some changes.

1 Like