Rant Thread (Jan11-Feb15)

sweetlove666 wrote:

i'm so lucky that my mate fixes computers and did all the work for free :)

Ecksvie wrote:

Well, this is going great. They were supposed to be ringing me between 2 and 4...

i might be best to ring them? dell's customer service isn't great unfortunatley. hope you get it sorted soon

I originally went with Dell because I thought their customer service would be better. I had a few laptops from PC World in the past but wouldn't touch them with a bargepole now as they're absolute pants when something goes wrong. I reasoned that if I bought direct from the manufacturer I'd easily be able to talk to the right person if something went wrong and they'd know what they were talking about.

I don't really want to ring them. I expect it'll cost a fortune especially since I'm on mobile. I much prefer email but they said they wanted to ring me so I agreed to it.

sweetlove666 wrote:

i'm so lucky that my mate fixes computers and did all the work for free :)

Ecksvie wrote:

Well, this is going great. They were supposed to be ringing me between 2 and 4...

i might be best to ring them? dell's customer service isn't great unfortunatley. hope you get it sorted soon

I originally went with Dell because I thought their customer service would be better. I had a few laptops from PC World in the past but wouldn't touch them with a bargepole now as they're absolute pants when something goes wrong. I reasoned that if I bought direct from the manufacturer I'd easily be able to talk to the right person if something went wrong and they'd know what they were talking about.

I don't really want to ring them. I expect it'll cost a fortune especially since I'm on mobile. I much prefer email but they said they wanted to ring me so I agreed to it.

I got my call from Dell today. After about an hour or so (half an hour for the initial call then they had to call me back a few times) the issue seems sorted.

They need to replace the CD drive. I could either send it back for free but be without my laptop for 5-7 business days or pay £29 for an engineer to come here and fix it. I ended up paying the money - I just can't do without my laptop for a week or more.

Ecksvie wrote:

I got my call from Dell today. After about an hour or so (half an hour for the initial call then they had to call me back a few times) the issue seems sorted.

They need to replace the CD drive. I could either send it back for free but be without my laptop for 5-7 business days or pay £29 for an engineer to come here and fix it. I ended up paying the money - I just can't do without my laptop for a week or more.

good at least it will get sorted for ya

Ecksvie wrote:

Is there no way you could replace it yourself?

sounds a cheap option and you might like the engineer too

Peachy keen wrote:

Ecksvie wrote:

No, the original plan was that they were going to send me the parts I needed to replace it myself, but upon further inspection it seemed they were gonna have to do it.

Ecksvie wrote:

Peachy keen wrote:

Ecksvie wrote:

No, the original plan was that they were going to send me the parts I needed to replace it myself, but upon further inspection it seemed they were gonna have to do it.

Guh. That's complicated. This is why they should make everything hot-swap-able!

Peachy keen wrote:

Ecksvie wrote:

Peachy keen wrote:

Ecksvie wrote:

Guh. That's complicated. This is why they should make everything hot-swap-able!

actualy its not there will be 1 may be 2 screws under neath laptop make sure tray is ejected befor undoing screws then pull it out, thnen push new on in and rep[lace screws. simples lol

My CD drive is the type with the slot rather than a pull out tray. It seems some parts are hot-swap-able, others not.

rlc321 wrote:

BlankExpression wrote:

rlc321 wrote:

ok blank how would get that os in your car does it have an excisiting os allready?

Replace the car radio with a touchscreen controlled PC

I am geek - hear me mumble

sound good mate if it works let me know, never thought of puting any kind of os in a car windows or linux, may be even have it hooked up to all the cars eletrics to see how much petrol oil etc you have left, intresting. lol

sorry for goin off topic guys lol

It actually works quite well from the playing round I have done but i never have enough spare computer bits at one time to do it

ok i am so pissed off with people telling me "oh dont do that, its dangours, oh u can't do that, u might hurt yourself" seriously, those people can actualy fuck off and get a porpper job

rant over, and sry if my language offends anyone (sarcastic btw)

Doug wrote:

ok i am so pissed off with people telling me "oh dont do that, its dangours, oh u can't do that, u might hurt yourself" seriously, those people can actualy fuck off and get a porpper job

rant over, and sry if my language offends anyone (sarcastic btw)

What have you been doing D:

trying to tell my mate the joy of sailing and skiing and this time when i went walking in spain with a group of friends and explaining some of the things that i have done and all he could do was say that it was too dangours (btw never hut myself badly, i.e broken anything) and it just pissed me off soo much that i wanted to punch him in the face. it was just his attitude cos i can understand that some of what i do is a bit 1 brick short a full wall kinda think but it was the way he said it like that cos he thought it was dangours noone should be allowed to di it. Oh and his comment of "so if u hurt yourself, who do u sue?" hacked me off no end. not my mate any more thats for sure

Good thing you didn't, he mighta sued you.

true that

not sure if this is a general rant thread, but since i sure as hell need one right now, here goes...

our new housemate is a freakin nightmare.

he moved in all of a WEEK ago, and has already managed to upset everyone else in the house. jamba and i live in a shared house - all together there're two double room and one single - this guy (let's call him T) moved in to the single room.. he's quite young, gay, and this is his first time living away from home (so he's understandably REALLY excited about being out from under the parent's wings and being able to be himself)

the only problem is that himself is a bit of a dick.

he's ridiculously loud - he talks like his volume setting is broken, like he's talking to us from across a crowded room. and he will NOT shut up about himself, how clever he was to move to london all by himself without many problems (how do you think WE got here, dude?) how he and his lesbian boss get on well 'cause she's a lesbian. EVERYTHING is about him, he'll take any conversation you try and start and turn it into an anecdote about himself... and he repeats his boring stories about himself over and over and over again.

he seems to have a thing about christians. he was telling us about his brother, who's a born again christian - now i'm very "each to their own/live and let live" so i don't really care if T doesn't chose to particularly like christians or not, but he got really weird about it. made a cross in the air with his finger and then punched his fist as he described his brother as a "pentecostal fucking bible basher fucker". a lot of our friends/neighbours are practicing christians and i absolutely will not tolerate him being rude to them about it...

for some bizarre reason he almost completely ignores the other couple that live with us ~ to such an extent that i was sat int he living room talking to one half of the couple the other day and T walks in and starts talking over our conversation AT me, completely ignoring the other guy.

he locked himself out of his room the other night, jamba and i came back with a friend to find T in the living room unapologetically claiming the sofa for himself (we HAD previously said that we had a friend staying, and guests normally get a bed set up for them in the living room... so it was kinda rude) but that wasn't a big deal, we just cleared the dining room up and my friend slept there... what WAS a big deal was that he'd been using my laptop - which i'd left in the living room. everyone in the house has a laptop, everyone leaves them laying around and up till now i've never been worried that anyone would be so inconsiderate of my privacy... his excuse was that his phone had died and his laptop was in his room and he couldnt go without facebook.

what? for a couple of HOURS?! no. not cool. to make matters worse, i had lovehoney pages open - which he had the fucking nerve to comment on quite publicly the next morning when jamba and i, AND MY FRIEND were having breakfast. now i'm hardly a prude but i don't want my sex toy purchases discussed over wakey-wakey-egg-and-bakey!!!

and the straw that broke my back? i've been awake since 4am, when he (and what i guess is some random he picked up from his night out) came home, slammed his bedroom door a few times and stood around talking at full volume in the landing and bathroom.

W.

T.

F.

tl;dr = just read the bolded text, you'll get the general idea... >__>

I have already read the whole part before reaching "just read the bolded text", lol.

Well, there are some people that are just a pain in the ass (in my country we say: a hedgehog in the pants or a thorn in the ass - which are more vivid explanations of the "pain in the ass" thing, lol.

But, it could always be worse.

About facebook. Before, I used to play a game through facebook and sometimes a few hours meant quite a lot to me - I was even trying to use my cell phone to get into it, or asking relatives to do something for me through my account whie I was out. So, if I was somewhere with a PC or laptop and internet connection, I would have been tempted to use it. Now - I am not even logging into facebook anymore.

Also - a lot of people like talking about themselves - that wouldn't bother me much if it is in the normal range.

And he's been there for just a week. Maybe he is not that bad... Maybe if you just tell him that when living with other people he has to pay attention to their needs, to be quiet during night time, to ask for permission to use other people's personal belongings (and to have a good reason for it, since it is not good that to be a habit)... Things like that.

hedgehog in the pants is my new favourite saying ^__^

menyanthe wrote:

Also - a lot of people like talking about themselves - that wouldn't bother me much if it is in the normal range.

it's not what i'd call the "normal" range though... for example, jamba's been having some worries with his job (as he's stated in a thread on the forums..) and he was talking with my friend about it in the living room. T was hanging around in the living room ('cause he couldnt get into his locked room) and butted in with "OH yeah this is like the time when i *insert situation that's in no way comparable to what jamba's going through right now* blah blah blah" External Media

OMG Nifty that sounds like a complete nightmare I would be mortified if anyone in RL saw what I had been buying and the guy sounds like an imature, loud arse.

Fiingers crossed he moves out quick

xGGx