Rant Thread (Jan11-Feb15)

While I'm ranting about technology, my CD drive in my laptop has buggered. For some reason, it keeps ejecting when I power it down, and it doesnt read any CD or DVD I put in the drive. Doesnt even spin it around like it's trying, but the eject button still works so I know it's not gone from the computer completely.

Luckily it's still under warranty and I'm waiting for a reply from Dell tech support, so I'm hoping they're going to work some magic. Hopefully some magic that wont involve me having to send my laptop off.

Fingers crossed Ecks x

I love technology me, it pretty much always works

I want Ubuntu in my cars dashboard (if you are geeky enough to know what Ubuntu is welcome brothers and sisters)

ok blank how would get that os in your car does it have an excisiting os allready?

rlc321 wrote:

ok blank how would get that os in your car does it have an excisiting os allready?

Replace the car radio with a touchscreen controlled PC

I am geek - hear me mumble

the only option i have at the moment is an internet dongle and it is absolute rubbish. £15 a month and theres a download limit of 2mb. so if you watch iplayer online or anything on youtube you can blow through that in a matter of 2 days. then the "fair use policy" throttle kicks in stating that you won't be able to do anyhting like watch vidoes from 4pm to 12 midnight. fine as long as it meant no high bandwith stuff. as it is it takes half an hour to load facebook or bbc news! two sites they specifically mention will work fine.

i'm stuck cause virgin never came and installed my landline, tv and phone as they said they would and it meant i only had 6 months left in my flat by the time they rang me! plua i have to go through such a long process to claim my £30 deposit back it'd cost that much to ring them off of my mobile!

BlankExpression wrote:

rlc321 wrote:

Replace the car radio with a touchscreen controlled PC

I am geek - hear me mumble

sound good mate if it works let me know, never thought of puting any kind of os in a car windows or linux, may be even have it hooked up to all the cars eletrics to see how much petrol oil etc you have left, intresting. lol

sorry for goin off topic guys lol

sweetlove666 wrote:

the only option i have at the moment is an internet dongle and it is absolute rubbish. £15 a month and theres a download limit of 2mb. so if you watch iplayer online or anything on youtube you can blow through that in a matter of 2 days. then the "fair use policy" throttle kicks in stating that you won't be able to do anyhting like watch vidoes from 4pm to 12 midnight. fine as long as it meant no high bandwith stuff. as it is it takes half an hour to load facebook or bbc news! two sites they specifically mention will work fine.

i'm stuck cause virgin never came and installed my landline, tv and phone as they said they would and it meant i only had 6 months left in my flat by the time they rang me! plua i have to go through such a long process to claim my £30 deposit back it'd cost that much to ring them off of my mobile!

sweet love try vodafone you get 3gb a month download llimit, and its £15 a month, only problem is if you dont use all the 3gb you have to get another £15 next month to get new 3gb as its not tranferd over. but is still way better than what you got now hunni.

rlc321 wrote:

sweet love try vodafone you get 3gb a month download llimit, and its £15 a month, only problem is if you dont use all the 3gb you have to get another £15 next month to get new 3gb as its not tranferd over. but is still way better than what you got now hunni.

It also depends if its pay as you go? i cant get contracts cause i am a student with no credit rating yet.

sweetlove666 wrote:

rlc321 wrote:

It also depends if its pay as you go? i cant get contracts cause i am a student with no credit rating yet.

yes its a pay as you go and teh actual usb stick only cost £20 withyour first £15 included here is the link for ya. http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband-devices/usb-modem-stick-topup-and-go-white?compatible=false

rob

Ecksvie wrote:

While I'm ranting about technology, my CD drive in my laptop has buggered. For some reason, it keeps ejecting when I power it down, and it doesnt read any CD or DVD I put in the drive. Doesnt even spin it around like it's trying, but the eject button still works so I know it's not gone from the computer completely.

Luckily it's still under warranty and I'm waiting for a reply from Dell tech support, so I'm hoping they're going to work some magic. Hopefully some magic that wont involve me having to send my laptop off.

Ecksvie i am afraid they will want the laptop back as they will need to replace the dvd drive for a new one

BlankExpression wrote:

I want Ubuntu in my cars dashboard

Be more specific - it's also the name of a fairtrade cola, and you don't want that in your dashboard... External Media

rlc321 wrote:

Ecksvie wrote:

Ecksvie i am afraid they will want the laptop back as they will need to replace the dvd drive for a new one

Well, I got an email from them telling me to do a complete power down rather than just a normal one, and I had to reinstall the BIOS, but that didn't seem to make a difference. They're supposed to be ringing me this afternoon to talk about it with me.

Fingers crossed there's still something else that might work that's too complicated for email, else they would have just said there and then send it back.

Fingers crossed, anyway.

Ugh, make sure you get hassley with them if they don't: have seen a few folk buy stuff from Dell and then fail to get help from their support services other than the copy-pasted troubleshoot e-mails.

Well, they're phoning me rather than me phoning them, so they must have something planned to help me with.

Still got 3 months left on the warranty, so plenty of time to get hassley if they dont fix it.

Just threaten them with watchdog. ive had to do this before with a comp company not only did they fix it they gave me 30% back

from fixing loads of pc and laptops it is my job you know lol it sounds as if the motor that drives the dvd is knackerd so they will probly have to replace the whole dvd drive, just make sure they do it befor the warrenty runs out, they may try and keep you goin till then

sounds familiar that one .

Well, this is going great. They were supposed to be ringing me between 2 and 4...

i'm so lucky that my mate fixes computers and did all the work for free :)

Ecksvie wrote:

Well, this is going great. They were supposed to be ringing me between 2 and 4...

i might be best to ring them? dell's customer service isn't great unfortunatley. hope you get it sorted soon