Ridiculous waist sizing?

I have problems too..

I wear a size 24 but my waist isnt that big just my belly and my hips are near non existant and my bum isnt huge either.. so its just my belly and everything I buy looks awfull on me and falls down constantly because there so baggy on my hips and bum they just slide down off my belly lol

Oh and I sent a photo of me in the one I am keeping to my OH and he said something about it not staying on long if he had the chance Guess I am in a trouble tomorrow

XXXGXSTRINGXXX wrote:

I have problems too..

I wear a size 24 but my waist isnt that big just my belly and my hips are near non existant and my bum isnt huge either.. so its just my belly and everything I buy looks awfull on me and falls down constantly because there so baggy on my hips and bum they just slide down off my belly lol

Interesting. Sort of thought bigger belly tends to go with wider waist, but if you lack bottom, I do see your problem with clothing. I am currently trying to shape myself bit more by exercise. So far not working too much on my hips and bottom.

Bugger, according to this I am size 22?!

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=17009

Just put me to heavy depression

You sound to me like you have a gorgeous hourglass figure, one that falls outside clothes manufacturers' typical "block" for a given size.As most do once on a human being instead of a hanger.

The problem is easily solved - it's to get the larger size, and find yourself (or learn) a decent alteration tailor.

Few people are off the peg proportions, but most people are happy to wear the closest approximation to their size and proportions accepting that it's a bit tight here, or a bit loose there.

You can't add more cloth where there isn't any, but you can always take in and adjust the rest from the smallest size that fits the largest part of you comfortably.

The priciples are as applicable to men's suits (where my knowledge and experience stems from) as they are to womenswear and lingerie. We sold men and womenswear and I dealt with both and their alterations and built up good relationships awith the customers.

After a little while they were pleased enough with the change in their work and daywear that they started bringing in the odd evening gown or casual items, then lingerie and so on.

It's not particularly cheap as it is time-consuming and requires a lot of skill, but the ends justify the means.

Don;t put yourself down because of what shape somebody in China thinks an average British woman is. Clothes are made in mass quantities to fit all the various different permutations of someone who is roughly speaking a Size XYZ.

Adjust your clothes to you. You'd be surprised, a £100 suit jacket with £30 of alteration work carried out can then look like something made to measure or bespoke when on you. It's a subtle difference - but people notice.

Make the most of a figure like that, some women would kill for it and some guys love it like little else.

The problem is I am student and even when working, I will never earn enough to get myself a tailor (not from archaeological salary, especially considering I may not be so lucky to have work all year round). So I resigned myself and I wear cloths which completely hide my figure and make me look fatter, as I always go 1 size up, which hides my waist as its extremely loose round it, or the belt rolls extra cloth to the front and gives me "belly".

Btw. I am not British. I am Czech, actually although many would say Irish, with my creamy skin, bright red hair and blue/green/grey eyes. And I blame my slavonic heritage for this figure, which tends to be wider round hips and bottom and often bigger breasts. But with slimmer waist. Even if I left the smaller sizes behind. But I know I need to loose some weight and size. For sure.

Apologies for the assumption, but the point remains that few people fit a clothes manufacturer's sizing template perfectly and adjustments here and there can make a world of difference to the fit and look.

As you say, getting rid of the extra fabric that produces a "belly" when you don't have one but the sizing block mandates that you end up with one to avoid the garment being too tight around your hips/bum/bust which can also be deeply unflattering and make you look bigger than you actually are.

I know it means adding cost to your clothing budget, if all that is required is cinching in the waist of a few garments - that's a fairly basic alteration to the majority of garments as there's only two seams that run vertically at each side - as such, it's not dear.

Adjusting backs/shoulders and particularly the "rise" (the difference in inches between the inside leg and outside leg or "crotch to waist") of trousers are more involved and requiring of skill, so they're a bit dearer.

Maybe set aside a little extra for your more special clothing where you want to feel and look your best/sexiest as a compromise. The trouble is that once you have some clothes that fit properly and flatter - you'll want them all to...

Although I understand your argument, that few people fit the sizes, most of those, who dont, just resigned to the fact the cloths will never work for them, but tailors are very expensive. I could actually stop buying clothes in the shops and on top of that to pay for adjustments and get it tailored already! Would cost the same. Meaning far more than what I can pay for cloths most of the time. So as I said, I resigned myself to looking fat, loosing my waist etc. And another problem is the fabric stretches anyway, so getting anything fit its pretty pointless... My summer trousers dont fit me anymore. I can take them off without bothering to open the button. And yes, it is very unflattering, but nothing I can do, just get used to the fact it makes me look fatter, as even washing does not help anymore. And this is a problem I have with all trousers, so even tailoring would not save me, just cost me money.

And yes, I am very negative about cloths. I always end up in deep depression after trying to buy new cloths and I avoid it as much as I can to the last minute as I know I will be choosing lesser evil in the end in the shop.