Scared to be home?

Wednesday night our neighbour accross the street got broken into, he wasnt hurt and some of his stuff was recovered. We thought nothing of it but last night hubby was in bed sleeping and i was downstairs, the dog got off the sofa and started noisily walking round and eating his food out of his bowl. I thought i heard our back gate open or close but rationized my thoughts to thinking it was the dog knocking his bowl against the radiator. I waited about half an hour and woke hubby up and told him of it. Then about 2pm our neighbour knocked on the door saying that around the time i thought i heard the gate she say someone with a torch walk down our alley. When he went to check the gate and shed my OH noticed that the bolt which is always locked was actually open on the gate. The police wont do anything because our neighbour didnt ring 999 and we cant prove that anyone was in the garden. How are we meant to feel safe, i have an 18 month old son!. Oh and the plus side for any would-be burglars i have an empty house on either side of my house! :-/ xx

report it anyway. The police probably won't do anything however it should still be noted.. With an actual burgulary across the road they may patrol the area. Make sure when you leave your home that nothing valuable is on show. It has been known for burglars to swipe keys pinching cars so make sure their not in sight. You could get a security light which could ward intruders away. I hope this helps and it doesn't happen again x

We have a pix axe handle near us

stuball wrote:

KF i no what u mean hun the police aint gonna do nothing so u gotta protect ursef xx

The axe is obversily missing but it has some weight in it

stuball wrote:

i got a big axe in the back room hun as long as it protects ur family hun.

what u mean its missing?

Its just the handle part of a pix axe handle no axe on the pole

I throw a good punch dont worry

KinkyFuckery wrote:

We have a pix axe handle near us

hehehe I know someone that has a pick axe handle under his bed...!!

the best items for self defences are sporting equipment like golf clubs etc, as they not made as an offensive weapon.

of course anyone with a pick axe handle under their bed could be class as premeditated attack !

I do have a heavy motorcycle lock & chain which well hurt if I club them by swing the chain with the lock on the end!

however the law state youcan use reasonable force as self-defence in you home if fearing for you life or other members of your family!

However you are only allow to use min force, you can chase them off your propery but NOT on the road or allyways etc because then your not acting in self defence!

also the law states anything adapted to cause harm is then classed as an offensive weapon.. like someone being attack with a claw-hammer then is an offensive weapon. but made offensive weapons, like flick knife,handclaws,asp batons etc are offensive weapons regardless!! its illegal to buy offensive weapons but owning one in your property is not. but using it on someone is a "grey area"!!

also stun guns & CS spray are come under Section 5 which contains the list of banned firearms, like machinegun,rocket, handguns etc!

So when they say are police are NOT armed then that bullshit, CS spray is controlled under the section 5(1)(b) of the Firearms Act as a weapon designed or adapted to discharge a noxious liquid gas or other thing! even an alien plama gun is subject to this section!!!

It worth remembering an Air gun is classed as a firearm, but is not controlled by an FAC unless in has the power of 12ft for a rifle, and 6ft for a pistol then its subjected to the firearm certificate delt with you local police force! brocock self-contain cart air guns are now Section 5!! but users did had a choice before the ban to apply for a certificate!

And having a loaded air gun is a public place is an offence under section 19 of the firearms act 1968! and trespassing with an airgun is classed as armed trespessing!

And the new law is you MUST lock or take reason step to make sure you air weapons are secure from theif as practical it can be,so having a loading air gun behind you door could be an offence now. and is an offence if you have children in the house that can access it!

I did remember one of my mate mates, had an odd cold caller, some he pick up has tourch which he uses for work, open the door and had a brick thrown in his face!!! but he gave them a good going over with the torch!! it turned out next door left out a box in the rubbish for a new flatscreen TV!!!

I wonder if a glass dildo make a good truchon... :) or break then could be used then to stab.

you could buy a defence spray which is UK legal, its a red spray which stayson the offender for 5-7day and can't be washed off the skin after those days are up!!! bright red face they the offender!!!

but thats more likey make them more aggressive.. just stick to a cricket bat! or chili sauce!

Or say fuk the law and get hold of some CS spray or a mobile which is really a 800,000v stun gun!

To the original poster : tell the cops

She did... but the police couldn't prove someone was in her garden, even if she knows the gate bolt is aways locked at night, so someone has opened which "proves" someone was lerking about! its simple someone was there.. gate bolts don't open themselves!

And don't wire the back door handle with the 30amp cooker mains! the offender would be dancing & pop a fuse before that 30amp does!

I have a great big alsation with a not so nice temperment towards people he doesnt know, and Stuball you are going to ruin the springs on you're air rifles mate, by being loaded and sprung you will just stretch the springs so much that they will lose power and you will be lucky if the pellets come out of the barrel mate lol :)

Years ago, when I lived alone, I used to worry about intruders. The best thing for calm peace of mind is to make your house secure. Check that you have good locks and security lights. It will make you feel safer knowing that they cannot get in than having something handy if they do.

my dads house was broken into a few years ago and he was robbed while he slept. He now has the place alarmed up. I have a sword in my bedroom in case of emergencies but with the automatic lights in the back garden and several 'booby traps' (loose tiles, stones, things that will make lots of noise) in our front garden I would be able to suss out if anybody was checking out the house at 4 in the morning.

Thanks everyone i was up til 2am last night night thinking id heard noises every 2 mins, looking round our room i noticed the only thing i could use if anyone did get it would be my red stilleto's :-/ may have to invest in a couple bits n bobs to help protect us. All of our doors on the downstairs already have bolts on as our dogs know how to use door handles, unfortunately they are both quiet and dont bark and so stupid they would assume they are here for fusses! hubbys decided camera's are the way he wants to go aswell xx

I always sleep with a metal bar beside my bed...

If I was in the army it would be my rifle, you have to be ready to defend yourself

Rather than buying things to protect yourself if someone gets in, use your money to get things that will stop people getting in in the first place. As people have suggested, security lights, cameras. You can even buy fake CCTV cameras now that obviously wont record anything but people may be cautious of breaking in if they can see them. Or maybe even an alarm system or something.

You need to be really careful regarding hitting or attacking someone who breaks into your house. It's against the law, which I know if stupid, but you will probably end up in as much, if not more, trouble than the people who have broken into your home. I studied burglarly law for a whole year and you wouldn't believe the stories. One of the most memorable cases I ever came across was of a guy who was breaking into an old ladies kitchen, fell through the window and landed on a knife, which got stuck in his leg and left him with permenant damage. He sued the poor woman who then went to jail. We live in a fucked up world. Be careful x

You must report it ! A friend of ours had a similar experience with somone entering their back garden; nothing was taken but after reporting it she heard that there were a number of similar occurances in the local area which happened around the same time in the early hours over a week. Result was that a car was stopped a few days later at 2am with a boot full of stolen property and tools of the trade, billy burglar got 3yrs.

Ok so the police may not send anyone round, but most forces will look at trends in a local area and direct resources if it becomes a hot spot. They also offer free crime prevention surveys on your property so an officer will attend and you can discuss any issues/fears.My force (Norfolk) as part of the survey provide "smart water" kits to mark your valuables (http://www.selectadna.co.uk/?gclid=CMWZmbmC8LICFQ_MtAodAlMARg)

Also check out the METs crime prevention site for useful tips: http://content.met.police.uk/Site/crimepreventionbumblebee