Scared to start over

I’ve recently found out I’m top of the housing list which is awesome however I’m terrified of starting over. When I walked out on my ex husband it was just me and my new boyfriend who went into a fully furnished homeless flat. When he passed away i couldn’t stay there anymore so walked out and never looked back. I’m currently staying with my bff which is awesome, permanent company and he helps me out with everything.

Moving on, two places have came up and i know I’m going to get one of them being top of the list. Ive got absolutely nothing at all, no possessions bar a few clothes I’ve managed to build up. How on earth do I furnish and carpet this place when I’m not working? Honestly I’m scared shitless of the future and what’s to come, any advice?

7 Likes

@Alyssa_2.0 bless you, change is scary.

I have recently donated items to a lady starting again. I saw a post by a friend of hers explaining the ladies situation but not naming her (on Facebook).

There was a list of items needed and lots of people were offering items.

Is there someone who could do this for you?

6 Likes

If you can pick up the furniture yourself, theres often alot of stuff going for free or very cheaply on facebook and ebay. Free to collect stuff can often sit on sites for a long time, especially if its big items. Your local Free cycle group is also a good option. Join all your local sale groups on facebook and keep and eye on the market section

Like @Mrs.John said, putting up requests for things is also a good idea. Its the time of year everyone is spring cleaning and getting rid of things, so now is a good time to ask if anyone has a bed etc they want shot of

6 Likes

@Alyssa_2.0 great news but as you say a challenge to make that leap, does the council provide any additional support have you asked enquired about something like furniture finders ( we have this in our town ) where donated furniture is sold cheaply or the credit union they provide additional support by very low interest loans that may help support if you need it . Hope you things sorted :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

I understand how scary it must seem. But once the first few days/weeks go by, it’ll feel like home. Maybe have someone stay with you a bit.
Like has been said, try freecycle and places. We have a Christian centre by us called loaves and fishes who help set up people like yourselves with the basics.
edited

3 Likes

Can you do an online search for local homeless charities that may be able to help with items of furniture or maybe try asking nicely at charity shops? I wish you all the best.

2 Likes

Great that you will have your own place. Free-cycle is a great place to try. Over the years we have donated lots of items. Good luck and stay positive, you will soon turn the flat/house into a home.

1 Like

@Alyssa_2.0

There has been some great advice already and it’s wonderful that you have this new opportunity. “Grab it by the balls” and run with it. Stay positive and you will get there. Just get the basics at first, from friends, Freecycle or homeless charities. I lost my wife 9 yrs ago and when I moved house I gave a lot of furniture to an organisation run by our local council. They in turn move it or sell it on to the less fortunate people. Perhaps you have something similar that exists where you are?
You’ll need to do a bit of online searching, but you’ll find something. Hang in there girl :hugs:

P.S. I have been following your other thread about losing your partner. In time things get better. You never forget, but as you get stronger, you are more able to cope. I can look at videos and photos of my wife now and remember the good times and feel happy I was able to share those with her xx

1 Like

You are going throught alot of heart ache at the morment and you have to stay strong take everyday as it comes .its going to take time to get over your loss but i know if you focus on moving froward in time you will get there :heart: big hugs :heart:

There is loads of of great information from the lovely people on this fourm .i hope you get sorted with all the advice given :heart:

1 Like

Maybe charity shops might be able to help @Alyssa_2.0, they offer quite a lot of furniture items at very cheap prices. Wishing you the very best, take care :hugs::hugs::hugs:

1 Like

There is stuff being given away all the time you just have to know where to look not sure its allowed to mention where facecloth could be worth a look too on a local page ? hope you settle in well soon and move forwards too xx

1 Like

The nice thing of having a new house is there’s no rush to do it up. Try looking on Facebook market or gumtree even to see if anyone local is giving away stuff. Also charity shops sell cheaper things too that you could up-cycle to look brand new and even better :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you for all of your suggestions, support and advise. Charity shops are definitely a good source, unfortunately where i live is between Stranraer and Dumfries so unfortunately theres no charities available here (unless I’ve missed something.) Its so overwhelming, knowing I’ll most likely be given the keys tomorrow and have absolutely nothing at all.

The free adds and gumtree are great suggestions. Fb I’ve been checking regularly and as soon as something comes up it’s gone so its hard going.

I do love the posts saying this is the new start and something to look forward to and take the constant brain ache away, so true.

I’ll get there its just completely overwhelming right now. Thank you again for all who’ve posted here, all great ideas etc :heart:

4 Likes

See if maybe some one you know will lend you something in the meantime. Even if its just a sleeping bag, blow up mattress and a microwave/primus stove + electric kettle setup its something.

I would but everyone’s turned on me, its like i walked out on my marriage 4 this guy then he passed now ive only got 3 people in this place who are friends, one true not sure of the others :thinking: the one who is has hos own place to do up so i can’t ask him, I’ll speak to the homeless officer im working with tomorrow to see if there’s any support. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I’m looking at getting the hell out of here, moving upto one of the cities with my friend cos the abuse and greif I’m getting is beyond disgusting :expressionless:

2 Likes

that really sucks. Youve got enough on you plate without people making it worse.
:hugs: hang in there, ok. At least you can always vent here.

2 Likes

How awful for you keep smiling one foot in front of the other … baby steps :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

1 Like

@Alyssa_2.0 I do hope you get things sorted out it is so isolated where you are and having recently returned back to work in the area it has changed not necessarily for the better! You will get it together eventually good luck hun hang on in there :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Yeah people are so mean at times, its crippling to pretend that their comments don’t bother me when they really do.

On the upside, I’ve been looking at moving into a furnished place in Glasgow. My bbf wants to move (I’m homeless from his address,) and I think we’d be alot better in the city. We’re going up for the weekend, my x husband never took me anywhere and my bf never got chance so hes taking us, can’t wait to get out this goldfish bowl.

No way @gazza didnt know you worked around here. You’re spot on its not like it used to be, no leaving doors unlocked now! X

2 Likes

@Alyssa_2.0 ooo I get about hun all over the place me lol :kissing_heart:

1 Like