Scientific Question #1

WandA wrote:

Does one not watch the Jeremy Kyle show Wilk?External Media

speaking of that, i do because i find it so funny

Doug wrote:

WandA wrote:

I don't, because it's utter fucking dross.

I point was that the peeps on it with 24 sproglets seem to have quite the appetite.

WandA wrote:

LittleKitty wrote:

I also think if WandA was around he'd probably link us to some articles or studies (lol) so here goes -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8044571.stm (BBC, it must be true External Media)

http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2007/04/intercourse-and-intelligence.php

http://www.infiniteinjury.org/blog/2007/08/01/more-intelligence-less-sex/

I encourage good habits!External Media

It does raise the point too that 'intelligent' people are perceived as more open-minded and this in turn will affect sexual satisfaction.

I do enjoy the links, I'm going to search through my back log of psychology emails and might be able to post some info too.

Is it strange I've only watched Jeremy Kyle once... Though I don't have tv but even when round friends we tend to change channel.

WandA wrote:

Doug wrote:

WandA wrote:

I point was that the peeps on it with 24 sproglets seem to have quite the appetite.

I point or my point lol

I agree - do not watch this utter shite!! But could see why it might be entertaining

WandA wrote:

I would also like to point this out:

http://successfulsoftware.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/dunning-kruger.jpg?w=450&h=366

It's a graph of people's test results and what the person being tested thought they would achieve. Stupid people generally think they're more intelligent than the average person.External Media

And intelligent people tend to judge themselves as less intellligent than they really are.

I think Jake and WandA (amongst others) have it covered.

I really disagree with the suggestion that intelligent people tend to have more demanding jobs though. It really does vary. And depends what you class as demanding. Sure thinking all day long is energy sapping (the brain uses a massive amount of our daily reserves) but so does running around on a shop floor or as you suggested - brick laying.

Having been a waitress for 5 years and spending time in a lab - I know which I find more demanding. I can't even climb the stairs after a long shift at the restaurant (have to leave my PJs downstairs before I go to the restaurant).

Adx

WandA wrote:

Doug wrote:

WandA wrote:

nah its brill, i mean mr Kyle does what most people would love to do, and lay into people about all the shite things they do in their life. Its even better when they try and justify stuff like alcholism.

But thats could be beacuse i am easily amused by silly things

Doug wrote:

WandA wrote:

Doug wrote:

WandA wrote:

nah its brill, i mean mr Kyle does what most people would love to do, and lay into people about all the shite things they do in their life. Its even better when they try and justify stuff like alcholism.

I don't see these things as silly, they are things that a lot of people encounter in life and I feel one should not find these things so amusing. I agree that personal and inn jokes can help people recover from things such as alacholism but when a stranger just laughs at it without really knowing you or the true back ground it does not help... Yes I'm awear programs like Jeremy Kyle explain a small amount of the background but really it's not enough for some strange to make judgment....

sorry but this is something I've experienced myself in life and I do not find alacholism an amusing silly thing...

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

Doug wrote:

WandA wrote:

Doug wrote:

WandA wrote:

I don't see these things as silly, they are things that a lot of people encounter in life and I feel one should not find these things so amusing. I agree that personal and inn jokes can help people recover from things such as alacholism but when a stranger just laughs at it without really knowing you or the true back ground it does not help... Yes I'm awear programs like Jeremy Kyle explain a small amount of the background but really it's not enough for some strange to make judgment....

sorry but this is something I've experienced myself in life and I do not find alacholism an amusing silly thing...

ok maybe amusing was the wrong word to use, entertaining (which is after all why the show carries on being aired and what does that say about society ehy?) And yes i do have a dark sense of humor

As far as judgments go, there is no good reason that someone can use to explain why they are an alcholic.

Oh and before you think i am juding people without any base, a close family meber was a alcholic.

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

There was one on earlier this month (I don't choose to watch it btw but the people I live with watch it) and it really made me angry. A family, fairly posh, lad had been on drugs - mum was distraught (when asked what drugs he tooks she said ".....cannabis - erm, is that right?") and Jeremy Fucking Kyle literally just fished about their lives and then said "right, we'll send you to aftercare"...no "benefit" to them from being on stage whatsoever....it's just a "let's all stare at the unfortunates" exercise. Does my head in!

Adx

Without going too far off topic (as this looks destined to do so) don't forget these people are choosing to air their dirty laundry in public. No-one made them to go on the show.

I agree alcoholism is not amusing but it's not always about this type of thing and sometimes you watch things that make you thing "thank f*ck my life isn't like that".

Alicia D'amore wrote:

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

There was one on earlier this month (I don't choose to watch it btw but the people I live with watch it) and it really made me angry. A family, fairly posh, lad had been on drugs - mum was distraught (when asked what drugs he tooks she said ".....cannabis - erm, is that right?") and Jeremy Fucking Kyle literally just fished about their lives and then said "right, we'll send you to aftercare"...no "benefit" to them from being on stage whatsoever....it's just a "let's all stare at the unfortunates" exercise. Does my head in!

Adx

Unfortuneatly, this is what (some) people like watching or else it wouldn't continue to be aired External Media

U know, I felt sure that some1 would pointed out that there r 1/2 as many again women in the OA as ther r men so perhaps there is a correlation between intelligence and gender! (I think this is what they call a troll!)

Wilkibo wrote:

U know, I felt sure that some1 would pointed out that there r 1/2 as many again women in the OA as ther r men so perhaps there is a correlation between intelligence and gender! (I think this is what they call a troll!)

Pretty sure something like this has already been discussed a while back.......

The increase in chavs in recent years would suggest otherwise :P

Wilki - everyone likes sex, it's just that all the intelligent ones also end up on here!

Ecksvie wrote:

The increase in chavs in recent years would suggest otherwise :P

well define what a chav is

Wilkibo wrote:

Rubbish trolling.External Media

You don't see me making this type of post on physicsforum.net.External Media

Jeremy Kyle, along with alot of tv and ITV in particular, is about demonising the working class.

But yeh, anyway, i agree :P

if you need to watch that twat kyle in the morning you nee to get a life or a different prescription

Maybe it's because only the intelligent ones like to discuss it in great depth, whilst the less so would rather just get busy and leave their brains out of it. Philosophers discuss all manners of shit whilst the rest of the world is busy actually doing it.