Scientific Question #1

It has struck me that the vast majority of posters on this forum r of above intelligence. This obs. lead me to wonder whether there is any correlation between intelligence and sexual appetite. What's ur opinion and r u aware of any studies of such?

W

(Oh, no he's off again! People like that shouldn't alllowed on the forum!)

I would think most people who visit this site, would probably buy whatever they want to buy, and never even bother to look at the forums.

That would (for the most part) just leave geeks like us...

I don't think there's a correlation between sexual appetite and intelligence, but I do believe those who are more intelligent tend to be more experimental and open-minded. Just something i've noticed amongst friends.

I would propsose this hypothisis (to be debated over no doubt):

Those who are more inteligent have jobs that are, generaly, more demanding and therefore have less time for sex.

However that doesn't mean that they have a lower appetite for sex.

Doug wrote:

Those who are more inteligent have jobs that are, generaly, more demanding and therefore have less time for sex.

or those who are more intelligent may have better paying jobs, and more disposable income. they then become interested in products that they are buying.

plus it depends on how you judge intelligence. Intelligence is more than academia, there's different types. someone may be an excellent builder or good with using their hands but might not like reading something like war and peace, dosen't mean theyre thick!

I think the fact that some of the most prolific posters on here are uni students scews perceptions a little. your'e more likley to link intelligence if theres more people who are academic, could be coincidental

well just because someone is an excellent builder doesn't mean they aren't thick either, as i have met a brick layer who is a thick as a brick, and his boss who actualy wasn't as good a brick layer by self admission but was more inteligent

I'm not really sure if this is the case. Everyone has their own definition when it comes to defining who and who isn't inteligent.

For example I started uni at 17 and managed to get firsts all the way through until I dropped out as I couldn't cope... Now the fact that I started a year before most people who be seen as inteligent but then as I dropped out some people will class me as stupid.

Also where some people have a good knowledge base in one topic they may be greatly lacking in knowledge in other. Some people will still consider a person like this as inteligent where as others will call a person like this just average as there knowledge isn't as spread out.

Doug wrote:

I'm not sure if I would agree with your statement regarding peoples jobs. I have a few friends who would be classed as inteligent and have high up jobs and due to there knowledge linked to their job they actually don't find it very demanding.

I find jobs like care to be more demanding in this case giving a lot of the workers very little time off. Though working in care doesn't mean you lack inteligence as I have some good friends who work in care as they wish to help people more than anything.

I think really it's too tricky to tell whether it determines if someone will use a forum related to sex. Also I don't think I've read any studies regarding it. Though I think I have read studies regarding safe sex and inteligence and I guess this could relate to the use of a forum like Lh.

Doug wrote:

well just because someone is an excellent builder doesn't mean they aren't thick either, as i have met a brick layer who is a thick as a brick, and his boss who actualy wasn't as good a brick layer by self admission but was more inteligent

I have a few friends who are brick layers as their build is more suited to it and they enjoy that kind of work... one of them is very good at puzzles and can complete rubix cubes within a min, sorry that just really does impress me considering how annoying rubix cubes are lol.

Doug I think you may be over sterotyping.

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

I'm not really sure if this is the case. Everyone has their own definition when it comes to defining who and who isn't inteligent.

For example I started uni at 17 and managed to get firsts all the way through until I dropped out as I couldn't cope... Now the fact that I started a year before most people who be seen as inteligent but then as I dropped out some people will class me as stupid.

Also where some people have a good knowledge base in one topic they may be greatly lacking in knowledge in other. Some people will still consider a person like this as inteligent where as others will call a person like this just average as there knowledge isn't as spread out.

Doug wrote:

I'm not sure if I would agree with your statement regarding peoples jobs. I have a few friends who would be classed as inteligent and have high up jobs and due to there knowledge linked to their job they actually don't find it very demanding.

I find jobs like care to be more demanding in this case giving a lot of the workers very little time off. Though working in care doesn't mean you lack inteligence as I have some good friends who work in care as they wish to help people more than anything.

I think really it's too tricky to tell whether it determines if someone will use a forum related to sex. Also I don't think I've read any studies regarding it. Though I think I have read studies regarding safe sex and inteligence and I guess this could relate to the use of a forum like Lh.

well it is a massive genralisation i admit, and yes jobs like care work are very demanding.

Safe sex, thats locking the door behind you isn't it? (a friend actualy asked me that once External Media)

sweetlove666 wrote:

Doug wrote:

or those who are more intelligent may have better paying jobs, and more disposable income. they then become interested in products that they are buying.

plus it depends on how you judge intelligence. Intelligence is more than academia, there's different types. someone may be an excellent builder or good with using their hands but might not like reading something like war and peace, dosen't mean theyre thick!

I think the fact that some of the most prolific posters on here are uni students scews perceptions a little. your'e more likley to link intelligence if theres more people who are academic, could be coincidental

I agree as this is how inteligence is often recorded in studies... by uni results etc.

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

Doug wrote:

I have a few friends who are brick layers as their build is more suited to it and they enjoy that kind of work... one of them is very good at puzzles and can complete rubix cubes within a min, sorry that just really does impress me considering how annoying rubix cubes are lol.

not really, speaking from experiance, which "happen" to be in line with a sterotype of a bricklayer, but rember, just beacuse something is a steryotype doesn't mean it isn't wrong.

Also it could be to do with the way that we see intelergence, and i am going to gusse that we proberbly see it in different ways

Doug wrote:

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

Doug wrote:

not really, speaking from experiance, which "happen" to be in line with a sterotype of a bricklayer, but rember, just beacuse something is a steryotype doesn't mean it isn't wrong.

Also it could be to do with the way that we see intelergence, and i am going to gusse that we proberbly see it in different ways

Yes I guess everyone does have their own standards for what is inteligent. But saying that you feel brick layers aren't inteligent really isn't such a wise idea when on a forum. As really you don't know if a brick layer is actually a member. Just saying.

no i'm not saying that every brick layer is, i'm saying i have met one who is. Read what i actualy wrote, I'm sure you just misinterperted it.

Doug wrote:

Wilkibo wrote:

It has struck me that the vast majority of posters on this forum r of above intelligence. This obs. lead me to wonder whether there is any correlation between intelligence and sexual appetite. What's ur opinion and r u aware of any studies of such?

WExternal Media

(Oh, no he's off again! People like that shouldn't alllowed on the forum!)

Not appetite, but perhaps open-mindedness.

To be honest I imagine there is far more likely to be a cluster of people that are intelligent/articulate/like expressing themselves and also geeky/techy/internet savvy enough to enjoy using forums and who also like sex and are comfortable with expressing that- and it's these people that not only find and use the OA, but are most vocal/prolific on the forums and so most noticeable.

I am not intelligent when it comes to basic intelligence ( i am studying to be a nursery nurse and it is HARD and i have no intention of going to uni)

but i think it seems to be people who have emotional intelligence who frequent the forums

VW x

Not sure I agree about the correlation between intelligence and appetite.

Some of my friends / colleagues see me as intelligent, but the main reason I spend a lot of time here (apart from the fact I like sex) is because my job is currently boring and undemanding, and leaves me free to browse the web between tasks in the office.

sweetlove666 wrote:

I agree with this too - when the what jobs do you do most recently popped up a lot of people were students - I was surprised at how many. Not for any particular reason. Perhaps they have more time on their hands than us full timers External Media (totally joking before people go up in arms, I'm a full time worker but also doing a degree!)

I perhaps think its just people who can be arsed to join a forum and then regularly post on it. If a person isn;t confident in their computer skills or perhaps their English isn't great, or maybe English isn't even their first language then they may less likely to join in on the forums.

I do think there seems to be a large percentage of intelligent people on here but I couldn't exactly pick out any thick people since its a faceless community and you can be anyone you want to be on here.

I could be in mensa with several degrees and awards to my name and speak multiple languages and therefore as a result of the time I take to respond to peoples posts and with a little help from google I could come across as being more intelligent than I actually am - of course, this could also be a load of crap!

I also think if WandA was around he'd probably link us to some articles or studies (lol) so here goes -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8044571.stm (BBC, it must be true )

http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2007/04/intercourse-and-intelligence.php

http://www.infiniteinjury.org/blog/2007/08/01/more-intelligence-less-sex/

Does one not watch the Jeremy Kyle show Wilk?External Media

I don't agree any form of appetite is correlated to intelligence, although perhaps simplistic it's often seen the opposite is actually true. We would generally consider more intelligent people capable of controlling their appetite, although that is control rather than feel I guess...

Jake of Facts and Friction wrote:

Not appetite, but perhaps open-mindedness.

To be honest I imagine there is far more likely to be a cluster of people that are intelligent/articulate/like expressing themselves and also geeky/techy/internet savvy enough to enjoy using forums and who also like sex and are comfortable with expressing that- and it's these people that not only find and use the OA, but are most vocal/prolific on the forums and so most noticeable.

This intelligent poster has it right.External Media

It takes a certain level of intelligence to breach convention (such as social) and to think independently.

The internet also orders itself in to groups, now that this site has quite a few people talking and debating at a certain level that is likely to put some people off who don't feel they fit in, much like how our liberal outlook on sex may put people off not of a liberal persuasion in other aspects of life.

I would also like to point this out:

http://successfulsoftware.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/dunning-kruger.jpg?w=450&h=366

It's a graph of people's test results and what the person being tested thought they would achieve. Stupid people generally think they're more intelligent than the average person.External Media

LittleKitty wrote:

I also think if WandA was around he'd probably link us to some articles or studies (lol) so here goes -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8044571.stm (BBC, it must be true External Media)

http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2007/04/intercourse-and-intelligence.php

http://www.infiniteinjury.org/blog/2007/08/01/more-intelligence-less-sex/

I encourage good habits!External Media

It does raise the point too that 'intelligent' people are perceived as more open-minded and this in turn will affect sexual satisfaction.