Secret Squirrels - I need your input

Hey All,

I am thinking about creating a special category for testers, this is where all the help docs and tester posts would be. I would pin the tester posts in that category but not on the home page (it’s getting a little crowded around here).

My question is, does this work for you? Would you be happy looking in the tester category for the posts instead of them being immediately on the front page?

• Yes move them
  • No keep them where they are

0 voters

3 Likes

Just to clarify, if they were in a separate Tester category they’d still be on the main page, but mixed in with the regular topics. They’d be marked with the new category name and colour though, so easy to spot.

And you’d be able to set the Tester category to ‘Watching First Post’ as well, so you’d never miss a new one. :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, and they’ll be pinned in the Testers category (like The Lounge is in Off-topic chat)

3 Likes

Personally, I think a tester category with help docs and previous posts is an excellent idea but I do really like when new product testers are required that they are pinned on the home page so as not to be missed.

I’ll be honest, I don’t quite understand what this:

means @Ian_Chimp ?

It probably solves my reason for voting No but I think some of us may need more detailed instructions :see_no_evil:. I know I can pin a topic, how do I watch first post?

If you go to a category (say #introduce-yourself) you’ll see a little bell icon for your category notifications in the top right. It’s got all the normal ones in (Watching/Tracking/etc) as well as a special category one for ‘Watching First Post’. If you set the category to this, every time someone posts a new Topic in that category you’ll get a notification. :+1:

But as the Tester topics are very popular they’ll bounce to the top of the main page quite frequently too.

1 Like

Would it be on its own page or like one continuous thread where items are posted amongst members applications to test the items?

They’d still be separate topics for each post, they’d just have their own category instead of being pinned to the homepage (although I could still pin them globally if people can’t find them)

1 Like

Im happy either way to be honest. Aslong as i can still undertake the squirrel missions and find them :slight_smile:
Whatever is easiest for yourself and others will be good for me.

I do like how the rules and other test list are above the topics list now, super easy to find

2 Likes

Given @Ian_Chimp 's helpful tip I have changed my vote… Sorry @Lovehoney_Brenna and thank you!

2 Likes

I do like the idea of having a tester category so everything would be together but I’d be concerned about missing squirrel posts if they weren’t globally pinned, especially when there is more than one squirrel post running. The lounge (and the sex toy tester thread for that matter) is one consistent thread, people always know that it will be there somewhere and what it is called so that works well. Whereas the squirrel posts will always be a new post, with a varying name and appear as and when you need products reviewed.

2 Likes

Sounds much neater :+1:

1 Like

Works for me thanks Brenna

1 Like

Hi Brenna,
I quite like the idea of having a separate section for tester posts, but also as it is now works well too as it’s easy to spot new posts.xx

1 Like

I’ve just noticed the Category Notification dropdown menu is a little squiffy at the moment after the last update, so you can’t read the full option text. But the icon you’re looking for is the bell with a number 1 in. :+1:

1 Like

I think this could be a great idea to put it all in one area so is easy to navigate through

1 Like

I like the idea of them having their own area on the forum but I must admit I do like seeing them on the main page but like others have also said about the potential of missing them if they weren’t to be globally pinned

1 Like

I think it would work really well, it fits with the way that the forum is set up.

1 Like

Question for those that are concerned about missing tester posts, would a banner (like the one for the Halloween comp) with a link to the new category and pinned threads work? So it would say something like “Tester threads open here”?

11 Likes

100% yes

1 Like