Sex Toys and Sexuality

How much does your sexuality inform your selection of toy?

For me, begin asexual, I find toys that look realistic are really off putting and are something I avoid. So your realistic dildos and your artificial vagina etc. But equally I accept that dildos will always be phallic I just don't want veins or them to be in a flesh tone.

So anyone else have a similar adverson or preference for certain toys based on sexuality

Im a straight woman but i find the realistic dildos really unappealing. For vibrators i prefer something like the happy rabbit shape. I do have a silicone dildo but its neon pink and i love that. I dont mind that it looks realistic and has veins etc.

i think its the colour of realistic dildos that puts me off. I just dont like them to look too real i guess!

I dont think theres a reason for my dislike, but ive only ever had one sexual partner so maybe a realistic looking dildo thats different to what im used to is subconsciously off putting?

Being completely straight i do find even looking at butt plugs and anal toys uncomfortable, but thats probably my germophobe coming out that can't stand even touching my own body to wash without latex gloves on, anything anally penetrative is a major no no.

I'm a straight/pansexual woman and I find realistic toys a complete turn off. I don't think it has anything to do with my sexuality, but more to do with the fact that they look a bit tacky and cheap to me (no offence).

I also don't like toys that are too realistic because I kind of feel like I already have my partners penis, so I don't need a fake one. I prefer my toys to look less phallic if possible, and actually prefer glass which is totally unrealistic (most of the time).

Hi OP! I'm also on the ace spectrum, as I adore men/women/people, but hate sexual contact and find nudity off putting.

I love toys which look like "toys", not dismembered body parts! I'm delighted that sex toy makers have woken up to the fact that people with vulvas like purely external stimulation, but I often wish there was more variety on offer.

I dont like to feel 'sexy' when I masturbate, I like nothing more than to feel efficient and mechanical... so I'm a bit hung up on my toys looking plain and "grown up". I don't like them to look cutesy or twee. I know many people feel intimidated by sex toys and like them to be fluffed up a bit, but I find it a bit infantile. Unfortunately, this has led me in the past to buy products (especially insertables) that were perhaps too far up the "advanced" end of the scale, or just downright unsuitable, because the more intermediate alternatives were pink and glittery!

redqueenwildboy wrote:

I love toys which look like "toys", not dismembered body parts!

I dont like to feel 'sexy' when I masturbate, I like nothing more than to feel efficient and mechanical... so I'm a bit hung up on my toys looking plain and "grown up". I don't like them to look cutesy or twee.

This!!

It's not that I don't like pink or purple sex toys, but sometimes I find it a little bit insulting that the majority of them are designed to look so stereotypically 'feminine'. I'd so much rather have a blue or green sex toy than a sparkly pink one, because I may be a girl but that doesn't mean I want everything I buy to look girly.

Sex toy designers, take note! ;)

I dont mind some realistic sex toys, for me I like them to look close to real, compared to the ones that have skin tone but look very plastic and fake.
I agree though with boogaloo about the pink and purple dildos, they are feminine and although I have nothing against those colours I would like to see more of a selection in colours and prefer not to buy toys in those shades.

I'm a straight man, but enjoy playing with dildos myself and using them on my OH. For me, if it doesn't look realistic, I'm not interested.

I will never be confident or comfortable enough to watch my OH have sex with someone else, so using realistic dildos on her is a fantastic middle ground. It looks hot from my view and she seems to enjoy it too. I also massively prefer playing with realistic dildos myself as I will probably never get the opportunity to experience the real thing.

I dunno. I hate the look of the bright pink vibrators that seem to be popular, or the laughably plastic and gaudy looking dildos on the market. Using one of those toys on my OH would do nothing for me and I wouldn't even want to touch them myself.

I quite like butt plugs and anal toys, which is hard to admit as a straight man, you wouldn't believe the stigma you get admitting that in some forums. Theyre fun for both my OH and myself. I don't like butt plugs that look like penises though. They just seem strange to me.

As for toys for straight men, I don't really care if a fleshlight LOOKS realistic, however I love it if it feels realistic. Had a play with the Lovehoney Monica recently and it felt fantastic.

Maybe I'm a bit of a strange case? My taste seems to be quite broad in some thing and quite specific in others. I know I probably am not a typical "straight" man, but I know what I like. :P

Im bi . not sure how it affects my chouce but i love brightly coloured toys and unusual(see through or oddly shaped liketentacle dildo or pink monty)

Hi im a straight female and I find realistic toys a real no no.

If im looking for a toy it's about performance and its ability to please me, not a replacement for my OH, who I enjoy a lot! My toys include glass dildos, a rechargeable bullet, a rabbit and giggle balls, none of which look realistic, none are flesh colour and none are as good as my OH at pleasing me.

i struggle to see why anyone would want a toy to look realistic but we are all different and that is what makes the world go round.

I like big butt plugs, am straight/maried, but would have no strings sex with a guy if I was single, but would have real issues with kissing(him), would happily wear girls knickers, but not bothered what shape I use for a anal toy as long as it feels good. So not sure what that "makes" me.

I try not to get hung up on what toys look like, however:

I cannot use a masturbator that's designed to look like a vagina. (OK, well that's not strictly true, I have ONCE and it was OK, I just have my preference). If it's got to look like an orifice, then a mouth or butt is fine - but I generally prefer - non-specific types (so things like TENGA are always highly rated by me).

I used to have a thing for only realistic looking dildos, but I have expanded my collectiont to include an interesting assortment of glass and silicone toys that are not penises. I typically look at the texture, rather than the shape.

I like toys. I like all toys. I like the realistic pussys and cocks, I like the artsy glass shapes, I seriously like them all. My preference is eveything. I'm a bisexual. Related? I don't think so. I just feel there is a time and a place for every type of toy, and I like having a little bit of everything so both my partner and I can play according to whatever mood passes through us :)

I'm a straight female and as to what dildos, vibrators etc look like - I really dont care, I'm more interested in size, shape and what it's going to do for me than what it looks like. Although I will admit I dont like brown ones . . . . .

Anal toys however, completely different. Although I love, and I mean love, having my oh's penis up my bottom I would never use a penis shaped butt plug - much prefer plain silicone or glass. It has just occured to me though whilst writing this that we do have a couple of realistic dildos that we use anally. Think maybe it's because they aren't specifically designed for anal use ? Dosen't actually make sense to me why I find these acceptable but not a penis shaped butt plug . . . . .

Lovebirds_x wrote:

I like toys. I like all toys. I like the realistic pussys and cocks, I like the artsy glass shapes, I seriously like them all. My preference is eveything. I'm a bisexual. Related? I don't think so. I just feel there is a time and a place for every type of toy, and I like having a little bit of everything so both my partner and I can play according to whatever mood passes through us :)

+1 I'm not bisexual but I agree with all of this. I even play with obviously male toys to entertain my OH and it does as much for me as it does him.

I find realistic toys really off-putting and but I love any pale pink toys - they are so pretty! I'm bisexual, don't know how that could be related though, I just think it's personal choice.

I'm bisexual and the thing that most determines what I choose to buy is money, because I'm poor lawl, after that I would probably always tend to choose a toy for anal fun first, I'm not really that interested in fleshlights with woman parts at the entrance to, they just seem, eh I dunno weird, like I know its not a real woman so it doesn't really you know, affect me in a way that goes "oh yea thats hot". As for stuff shaped like male junk, well, I'm not really that fussed. I've more interest though in the shape of buttplugs and like beads look like they could be fun. I'd love to try one of those buttplugs that also has a bit to hold your balls and your member, so you can't really remove either but you can still play, that would interest me somewhat.

So yea, I guess for me its more down to something that creates a good experience with much less focus on human anatomical correctness.

I find the anatomically correct/"realistic" toys reeeeeally creepy, to be honest. If I click on something and it looks like it's been lopped off an actual person... yeuch. Nope. Not my bag. There was a tongue vibrator sleeve in the 3 for £50 and I looked at it for a while because oral ![](upload://4WyQT1gwKaQJNwhYxrKZ1rOPglF.gif) but it just looks a bit too much like a vibrator that Hannibal Lecter might use and I find that really off putting.

sexuality wise, I like heteroflexible as the most accurate label I've found: "I'm straight, but shit happens" ![](upload://nXzNBAACFMemirV1148YTO7ENey.gif)

I don't care about colour or appearance because I'm not really looking at the toy. For me it's about the texture, the size and the shape that decide my purchaces. I generally use them on myself so I don't really see them when I'm playing with them. Using toys on other people is the same thing in that I don't mind the colour although I dislike black simply because it's harder to ensure it's cleaned properly.

lindtchilli wrote:

I find the anatomically correct/"realistic" toys reeeeeally creepy, to be honest. If I click on something and it looks like it's been lopped off an actual person... yeuch. Nope. Not my bag. There was a tongue vibrator sleeve in the 3 for £50 and I looked at it for a while because oral ![](upload://4WyQT1gwKaQJNwhYxrKZ1rOPglF.gif) but it just looks a bit too much like a vibrator that Hannibal Lecter might use and I find that really off putting.

sexuality wise, I like heteroflexible as the most accurate label I've found: "I'm straight, but shit happens" ![](upload://nXzNBAACFMemirV1148YTO7ENey.gif)

Hahaha! All of this! Especially the Hannibal Lecter part ![](upload://lJMrTcqgi5lI1FOpb07OYOcv2YF.gif)