short hair on women- feminine & sexy?

Ok, so I've had my hairshort for a few years now, I cut my long, thick, coarse wavy hair off as it became irritating, dry, frizzy and unruly, plus I wanted a new look. I then got bored of my short hair and have for the past 6 months been growing it which has taken ages, in time for my best friends wedding next week which I am maid of honour, and she has bought me a pretty dress to wear.

Upon weighing up the pro's and con's of both long and short hair on me, I have come to the conclusion that keeping it short is more practical for me especially for work and my overall busy lifestyle. It won't take forever to dry/style, as I don't have alot of time to commit to my hair and I don't really like to fuss over it too much. So I have opted to get a style which is slightly shorter than my hair is now, that is textured/layered slightly so that it's not completely flat and boring, with a long sweeping side fringe so i can just wash and take 10 mins to blow dry and run some wax through it to define the style a bit. (I'm currently sporting a chin length bob)

Everyone who knows me, say that it suits me better short than long, I agree but when I look at myself it doesn't feel/look very feminine/sexy, especially if I want to wear a pretty dress. My fiance says it's all in my head and that he loves it short, so maybe it is, and what with the upbringing with my father's attitude that short hair on women doesn't look right and is unfeminine etc... that contributes somewhat to the way I feel, although he's not dead set against it.

I think it can and does look right on some women but I feel that it strongly depends on her features/build etc... people do seem to say that I have 'that kind of face' which is why I can get away with shorter styles but I'm still not convinced.

I just wanted peoples' opinions on wheather you think it's still feminine and sexy on women?

ronnie-baby.

x x

From a mans point of view i think it all depands on your face type. If you has short hair for a few years now and you were happy it must work with your face type. And to answer your question it can be fem and sexy.

Short hair can be sexy depending on the person really, I don't like really really short hair thats almost boyish but short hair with a style is nice. I don't mind that or long hair, generally its more about the person and how attractive I find them.

Sexy definitely, some of the sexiest women have blunt, short cuts...it's empowering.

Feminine, I think short hair takes a little more work to look feminine but it's more versatile! With long hair you can't really stick pretty clips into seemingly random spots as they look....well, random! But with short hair you can stick clips anywhere you like, it's easier to place flowers and bows and make your hair look more feminine. It also depends on the cut, a very short pixie crop is feminine in a different way to a just below shoulder length bob. As long as you have a style that suits you and now how to "dress" it then it can look just as feminine.

I love my long hair, and it is getting very long now but it suits me and for me it's lower maintenance than short hair would be...my hair is very fine, takes ten minutes to blow dry and five to straighten, with it being so fine, if it's shorter it doesn't stay straight as it has no weight to it...but everyone has different styles.

I think long hair is fairly unusual these days and that's because more people are better at knowing what suits them. I'd love a bob but it'd never suit me - some people just suit shorter hair and I think feeling comfortable is the most sexy thing there is - I know when my hair needs a trim I feel noticeably less confident because I don't have the time to spend ages making my hair look right in the morning and when it's cut right it doesn't need as much time!

Adx

Sexy definitely, some of the sexiest women have blunt, short cuts...it's empowering.

Feminine, I think short hair takes a little more work to look feminine but it's more versatile! With long hair you can't really stick pretty clips into seemingly random spots as they look....well, random! But with short hair you can stick clips anywhere you like, it's easier to place flowers and bows and make your hair look more feminine. It also depends on the cut, a very short pixie crop is feminine in a different way to a just shorter than shoulder length bob. As long as you have a style that suits you and now how to "dress" it then it can look just as feminine.

I love my long hair, and it is getting very long now but it suits me and for me it's lower maintenance than short hair would be...my hair is very fine, takes ten minutes to blow dry and five to straighten, with it being so fine, if it's shorter it doesn't stay straight as it has no weight to it...but everyone has different styles.

I think long hair is fairly unusual these days and that's because more people are better at knowing what suits them. I'd love a bob but it'd never suit me - some people just suit shorter hair and I think feeling comfortable is the most sexy thing there is - I know when my hair needs a trim I feel noticeably less confident because I don't have the time to spend ages making my hair look right in the morning and when it's cut right it doesn't need as much time!

Adx

Ive had mine cropped to below the bra, depends on my mood when I go into the hairdresser.... Its currently at bra strap length and will probably stay there as the OH likes it long. I've also been every hair colour possible.

As for ease... my hair is curly/wavy/dry so I keep it tied up when at work and literally only straighten my fringe... I straighten it when I have time (although it only takes me about 15 mins to dry it straight)

Hi,

I know the feeling. I have reddish hair, colour which many dont think its natural. But its really thick and heavy. 3 years ago I was at fieldwork and well, the sun, dust and ice cold water for 3 weeks did huge damage to it, took me ages to get my long hair back to shape. 2 years ago I was at fieldwork and there was no hot water to wash it with again and it was again suffering from sun and dust. This time I got too frustrated, it was oily and dry at the same time somehow. I took scissors from the lab and cut my almost waist long hair just under my ears. My friends almost had heart attack when hearing it But it did help incredibly. And my collegues told me I looked fantastic! And any irregularity of the cut actually made it more interesting, apparently. Also my hair gained a quality wise, as there was no weight pulling it down round my head. But I am lucky my hair is of increrible quality. I dont have to dry it, I have what my mom calls wash and go hair, so while she is styling it I just let it dry and then do something with it using my fingers and I just go.To be honest I even got comments how great I looked after walking in mild rain and wind....

I now have shoulder lenght, but considering going to just under ears again. I think it does depend on your facial features a bit, but shorter hair can be sexy, it is not only about hair, but how you look in general, although hair do play part in it.

des69er wrote:

From a mans point of view i think it all depands on your face type. If you has short hair for a few years now and you were happy it must work with your face type. And to answer your question it can be fem and sexy.

I'd agree with this in general. Although I've always found women with longer hair sexier somehow. Depends on the style and what sort of "short" you mean.

To provide some sort of visual guideline as to what on Earth I'm blathering on about: Emma Watson - with longer hair, very attractive and sexy. When she cut it short - total and utter turn off.

The counterpoint is Ashley Green vs. in character as Alice Cullen. There the bob wins out as it seems to flatter her face shape enormously.

I had short hair years ago and it suited me then but would not now due to weight gain over the years. Shortest I can go is a chin length bob, its so much tidier and easy to look after, just need to get the cash together to get it cut again as its too long and straggly now.

From the sounds of it, your difficulty is in softening the sleekness or sportiness of your preferred hair to match the prettiness of the dress. Is that an accurate understanding?

Old pictures of Audrey Hepburn might help. Most often her hair was piled up high (Breakfast at Tiffany's) or cut short (just about everything else). She was certainly stunning and feminine. Do you like any of her looks? Perhaps with especially pretty earrings or flowers on a hair comb? Could French braiding or a bit of wave be incorporated?

I guess what I'm suggesting is to focus a bit less on the hair and more on a beautiful accessory to soften and show it off.

http://rikmo.onsugar.com/tag/audrey-hepburn-hairstyles

http://www.google.com/search?q=audrey%20hepburn%20roman%20holiday&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I have a shaved head, and before that had had hair from short n spiky down to just above shoulder length on and off for the last 5 years and I definitely think it is sexy and feminine! My ex prefered me with shorter hair, and my husband loves my shaved head and gets quite sad when I forget to shave for a few days and start to have hair again :P

I've found I look just as feminine with a boy's haircut (very short and spiky or shaved) as I do with more feminine short and long cuts - the trick is makeup! I wear natural colours but do quite dramatic stuff like contouring on my cheek bones, smoky eyes and occasionally false lashes. That kind of clash of styles can be really really sexy, it's like the super femme side of androgyny.

Failing that - have you thought about wigs? I know, I know, you hear 'wig' and you instantly think fancy dress. When I shaved my head I wasn't planning on wearing hair except for work where I really need it most of the time, but I've found they're so much fun I wear them out on nights out and stuff quite often as well. I've found a website that sells really good quality ones for £20 each which is an epic bargain but if you fancy something even better look for lace front ones which run to about £100-£150 and can be styled off the face because they have a natural hairline. Then you can have long girly hair when you fancy it, and take it off when you don't feel like the bother any more (and no more sleeping with long hair getting tangled and icky during the night). If you feel you need long hair for a wedding thinger than that would definitely be a good option :D

depends on what you mean by short.

I had my hair to below my bum for many years and it was just unmaneagable because i have thick wavy hair

nowadays its usually to just below my ears or the shoulders depending on when i got it cut last.

as others have said it depends entirley on the person.

what i don't like however is those cheap ratty looking extensions people wear.

Hi Krys, thanks for your post, I'm assuming your profile pic is of you, if so you do look amazing. I couldn't do that to my hair like you have done, but I admire you for that and I think it's truly inspirational and fantastic that you have so much confidence to do that. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to look at and order a wig in time, the wedding is nect week, although I have considered it, and have looked at a few synthetic ones, they feel so uncomfortable though and are extremely expensive. I'm going to opt for the short cut again, you and many others' posts have inspired me and given me confidence to get it cut short again. Thank you.

ronnie-baby

x x

Ive not read all the replies just scanned though the odd one here and there and personally i dont have a huge prefference though some hair is always nice to grab hold off lol. As you have already said though short hair suits your life style and you do not really have the time to sort out long hair so it seems like a no brainer just stick to the short! Of cause you can think of it another way and say your going to be a maid of honor people will be seeing you and the bride will longer hair suite the occasion more? Then after just have it cut!

Hair length all depends on face, figure, what your wearing and of cause your own personal style, go for what you think will be best for that one day or whats best for you on a daily basis after all its you that has to deal with the longer hair till the day then after you can do as you wish.

I personally prefer shoulder length & a little fringe, my oh has a curvy figure & she is quite short about 5ft 2inches in height, she has lovely hair, but no fringe even a short fringe would suit her face better, but it doesn't really matter, it's only a preference.

I think like most things it depends on the person, I have had my hair highlighted with a few different colours, I have had red, yellow, green, blonde, (not all at once. lol) I love putting a colour through mine as I cannot style my hair I enjoy doing that when I'm in the mood for a bit of a change.