Silicone reactions

Not in skin...I mean silicone lubes vs silicone toys.

I already know that it's a bad idea, that the reaction will break down silicone toys, but I just want to understand how quick that reaction takes place.

Are we talking over time, with regular use? Or by the following morning your toy will be a molten, fizzing lump?

Some ppl have suggested that they've been able to use silicone lube with certain silicone toys with no adverse effects, but I just want to understand it a bit better.

Has anyone ever done a proper test at home?

Maybe in the interests of public safety and sexual health, Lovehoney would consider a YouTube video, like when your science teachers would let a tooth rot in a glass of coke 😊 I loved the video when they sawed a Vixen tie-dye in half, so more educational vids please!!

Hiya

I've used Yes organic silicone lube with my silicone happy rabbit 2. I read on someone's blog that they had done some testing and it was suitable.

I only use it when I'm using my rabbit in the bath or shower because water based lube just washes away.

I use my rabbit for around 30 minutes at a time and it has no damage whatsoever.

It's an interesting subject and I'd love to know more too 😊

Honestly I think it depends on the quality of the silicone used, both in the toy and in the lubricant. I've had no issues with Pjur and We-Vibe and Sliquid and Tantus. :)

I've used silicone lube on silicone toys before realising you shouldn't do it, but I had no problems at all. The toys were totally fine afterwards. But I try not to now I know you shouldn't!

However, silicone lube is great in the shower so sometimes you may want to use it regardless!

We weren't even aware that there was a potential - we've used silicone and water based lubes on and off for ages and most toys haven't had any issues.

However Mr Belle has found that Vaseline works better as a lube, and certainly with glass toys slides much more smoothly. Both silicone and water based tend to have a bit of stick and slip to the movement which Mr Belle finds uncomfortable, especially with 'rubbery' materials like silicone.

We have heard somewhere that Vaseline is not good for silicone toys though.For us, as long as the effect is not to turn it into something toxic and /or damaging we will accept it, and replace the toys when they need to be

Belles

Hey!

It really depends on the quality of the silicone in both the toy and the lube. 

Silicone lube doesn't actually degrade the silicone toy. This is why high quality silicone lubes angd toys can be used together, but only when the suppliers recommend this.

When you use an incompatible silicone lube and toy together, what actually happens is the little particles of silicone in the lube fill in the small gaps on the surface your toy which ruins the texture of them. I know people say that silicone is "poreless" but in fact this isn't true. It does have very small pores which are large enough for silicone particles to get into. 

Because of this, you use thw wrong silicone toy with a silicone lube, you can ruin the surface immediately.

I have had this happen myself when lube has leaked. The damage was immediate - within seconds - leaving a patch of horrible tacky texture on my toy. 

Belle_djour wrote:

We weren't even aware that there was a potential - we've used silicone and water based lubes on and off for ages and most toys haven't had any issues.

However Mr Belle has found that Vaseline works better as a lube, and certainly with glass toys slides much more smoothly. Both silicone and water based tend to have a bit of stick and slip to the movement which Mr Belle finds uncomfortable, especially with 'rubbery' materials like silicone.

We have heard somewhere that Vaseline is not good for silicone toys though.For us, as long as the effect is not to turn it into something toxic and /or damaging we will accept it, and replace the toys when they need to be

Belles

Noooo!

Do not use Vaseline as lube -ever!

The ONLY thing Vaseline is good for is creating a barrier - it's no good for anything else, and is definitely not something which is beneficial to the human body, internal or external (that's right peeps - it sholdn't even be used to moisturise as there are zero ingredients in it designed for this).

My best advice would be to avoid Vaseline in your life all together, but especially for sex play. 

The main issues are that it's oil based. Oils degrade many materials, and change their composition. It degrades silicone, rubber (including latex) and many other real feel materials. Not only will Vaseline ruin your toy over time, but with certain materials the oil will cause your toy to leach harmfull chemicals. No one needs a chemical burn in their bits!! And obviously never use it with latex condoms as they are not a suitable contraceptive when used with oil. 

Oil based lubes are compatible with glass and metal BUT are is not compatible with the human body.

Beyond damaging your toys, oil based lubes are not recommended for internal use, either. The human body is water-based and cannot break down oil. Oils do nothing but clog up your insides which can lead to health problems later in life. 

Please please please refrain from using Vaseline (or any other oil based lubes) with your silicone, rubber or real-feel toys, and from internal use if you care about your bits!

We have used Pjur “Original” and Pjur “Woman” silicone lubes a lot with our silicone toys of Tantus, Fun Factory, Vixen, and LH brands and there has been zero reaction. I too wondered if there was a very long-term issue so after a mouse got into our toy draw and took chunks out of a Feeldoe, a Fun Factory Share and a Tantus butt plug I thought I would subject them to a long-term soak in Pjur Original sealed up in large zip-top bags before chucking them out. I think we had them there for over 12 months and there was no indication that there was any reaction between the lube and the toys.

High grade silicone rubber is pretty impressive stuff in other applications. Some car fanatics spend a small fortune on silicone hoses to pipe ethylene glycol coolants, methanol/nitromethane fuels and even synthetic engine oils about and I have not heard of any issues with them doing this.

The stuff can even stand up to the temperatures of being used as an exhaust pipe joiner in model aircraft engines.

Noooo!

Do not use Vaseline as lube -ever!

The ONLY thing Vaseline is good for is creating a barrier - it's no good for anything else, and is definitely not something which is beneficial to the human body, internal or external (that's right peeps - it sholdn't even be used to moisturise as there are zero ingredients in it designed for this).

My best advice would be to avoid Vaseline in your life all together, but especially for sex play.

The main issues are that it's oil based. Oils degrade many materials, and change their composition. It degrades silicone, rubber (including latex) and many other real feel materials. Not only will Vaseline ruin your toy over time, but with certain materials the oil will cause your toy to leach harmfull chemicals. No one needs a chemical burn in their bits!! And obviously never use it with latex condoms as they are not a suitable contraceptive when used with oil.

Oil based lubes are compatible with glass and metal BUT are is not compatible with the human body.

Beyond damaging your toys, oil based lubes are not recommended for internal use, either. The human body is water-based and cannot break down oil. Oils do nothing but clog up your insides which can lead to health problems later in life.

Please please please refrain from using Vaseline (or any other oil based lubes) with your silicone, rubber or real-feel toys, and from internal use if you care about your bits!

We'll take that as a 'no' to Vaseline then!

So the question we have to ask is what is the best? As mentioned, Mr Belle finds the stick & slip of other lubes uncomfortable - think a wet finger on glass, how it judders along rather than sliding smoothly.

Suggestions gratefully received!

Belles

Guys, following this some friends have given us some water based lube called Vigel, and we have to say it is really good. The problem is that they didn't get it here, apparently they got in Indonesia and we can't get it here.

A look on google only comes up with hits in Indonesian, but we imagine it is similar to more recognisable brands. Has anyone come across it that can shed some light? Maybe it is sold elsewhere under a different brand name?

Belles

Look for lubricants that have Gel in the product name. You may be able to find something that feels similar that way.

Perhaps this would work? https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=37688