Waterproof toys and lube..

So I have a few toys in my toy box that are waterproof. I've experimented with glass dildo's/butt plugs in the bath using a silicone lube and it's great.. but what about those toys that are silicone themselves? The toys i'm talking about are things like Cobra Libre, Stronic Drei (or is it Zwei?) prostate massager.. or one of the many strokers and masturbators I have- stuff like that - all toys i'd love to be able to use in the bath or shower.. but because they are silicone, you can't use silicone lube and water-based just washes off! This seems like an oversight during the design process, because none of those toys are going to be pleasurable without lube, but if you can't use silicone lube, why bother making them waterproof in the first place?!

So, how do you get around this?

I don't know if this is very helpful, but Fun Factory's silicone is excellent quality and I've used my Fun Factory toys with silicone (and oil-based) lube before with no side-effects. Maybe do a patch test? Wouldn't risk it with the strokers though, I've got no idea how you'd work around that :(

DavidB1986 wrote:

Get some toys that won't just melt on contact? ;)

Well that would be the solution an an ideal world ;)

Interesting comment on the FF toys Celia.. I'll bare that in mind :) x

I did some patch test with silicone lube on Lelo toys and Vibe Therapy toy and there was no melting what soever, The toys all "survived" it. I know someone has been using silicone lube with Tantus toys for years without any toy suffering damage.

The thing is that the toys have to be high quality silicone and so does have to be the lube.

DavidB1986 wrote:

Get some toys that won't just melt on contact? ;)

I guess this seems to be a happening to cheaper toys mainly because most of the melting toys are not that high quality silicone toys, but most likely silicone with something added into it. and those do melt.

I beg to disagree toys are not pleasurable without lube, abit of saliva goes a long way!, or you could stand up, insert the toy then get in the water?

I know that you can use oil-based lubricants with Tantus silicone (They said so on twitter once) and also, with pure silicone toys and high quality silicone lube, they can be used together without too much problem, but I recommend always doing a patch test first, to make sure!

Tantus and Pjur did a thing where they tested their products together and all was fine, but there are thousands of different lubes and thousands of different grades of silicone, so it is best to do a patch test if you prefer using silicone compared to oil based.

To be honest though, I personally would not use silicone or oil with strokers like Fleshlights or Flip-holes. These materials are not silicone and I am 99.9% sure they are porous and could be damaged by oil or silicone. I would simply avoid using them in the bath or shower because yeah, water based lubes are really the only kind these toys are compatible with (That I know of) There are some pure silicone strokers available though (Tantus do one, for example)

Anyway, to sum up, patch test. Don't rule out oil based lubes for silicone toys (but remember: Oil is not compatible with condoms, rubber or latex so make sure it is silicone. Also oil is not great for vaginas)

Thanks fluffs!

I'm not actually using strokers, but the cobra live for example, and the Stronic prostate toy (both fun factory) are supposedly waterproof but as they are silicone, it wouldn't be comfortable to use without any lube, but as they are silicone... I believe them to be high quality silicone but I don't really use silicone lune all that often, and I've never used an oil lube..

Can you make a suggestion on what the best silicone / oil lubes would be?

*libre - damnit, hate not being able to edit posts on mobile..

Not fluffs, but I really love Yes oil based lube. I've used straight up coconut oil before too and that works a charm.

Sleepy Celia took the words right out of my mouth. The best (by a mile) oil based lube I have used is Yes oil based. Especially as it is one of the only ones I would recommend for vaginal use, but I digress as I am assuming this is not as important for you.

I have also tried Sliquids oil based lube, which is called "Stroke oil" or "rub oil" or something and is designed for male masturbation, but despite the fact that sliquid usually impresses me, that one in particular let me down a little. After 5 to 10 minutes it started to go "bitty" (and by the way, this seems a reasonably common occurance in oil lubes I have tried), which granted, is not many, but it is quite annoying when you feel this grit on your hand. (My partner said he couldn't feel it on his penis though) anyway, digressing again but Yes lube doesnt do that....ever ....and that is why I love it.

However, I also recommend looking in health food shops or online for virgin coconut oil (The food safe versions for cooking) a lot of oil lubricants tend to just be a mixture of different oil bases, like coconut oil (Take a look at the ingreditents lists) and you know, I got a 200ml jar of extra virgin coconut oil (Which looks like a white wax, but melts in your hands with the slightest warmth) for £3.99. I even use it for giving him blowjobs, because it is safe to consume and it tastes like coconut. (Although if oil in your mouth creeps you out, you can avoid that lol)

The coconut oil works better that Sliquid oil did, but annoyingly it also goes bitty (It takes longer than the Sliquid oil) So Yes oil based still wins out, but the difference in price is huge. Its like, if you want the best, splash out on Yes, if you want something that works well enough but has a few niggles, try Sliquid rub or even looking into trying some oils you can find on the ingredients lists. (There are lots)

Unfortunately I have not tried enough oil lubes to recommend more than the one I personally love, which is Yes oil.

I don't really like silicone lubes. I just don't like the feel. I prefer oil for ahem...playing with him for long periods of time. Oil just seems so much nicer to me lol.

That's amazing advice! Thanks for your valuable input as always! You're both stars! Xx