Stockings vs hold-ups

Hey everyone, just a quick question about lingerie, hope this doesn't sound too silly!

I was wondering - as hold-ups can be worn both on their own and with suspenders, then what is the advantage/appeal of traditional stockings, given that they can only be worn with suspenders?

I can't help feeling that hold-ups are more flexible in terms of how you can wear them, but some people still prefer stockings - is this because it is more 'classic', sexy or perhaps more comfortable?

Looking forward to hearing what people think! Thanks! :)

I didn't think that hold-ups were supposed to be worn with suspenders.......

You may be right, I'm not sure! It is possible to, but I suppose there may be reasons why you shouldn't?

Hopefully someone can explain! :-p

play_with_fire wrote:

Hey everyone, just a quick question about lingerie, hope this doesn't sound too silly!

I was wondering - as hold-ups can be worn both on their own and with suspenders, then what is the advantage/appeal of traditional stockings, given that they can only be worn with suspenders?

I can't help feeling that hold-ups are more flexible in terms of how you can wear them, but some people still prefer stockings - is this because it is more 'classic', sexy or perhaps more comfortable?

Looking forward to hearing what people think! Thanks! :)

It's possible too but the bunch up weirdly and can look a bit ugly if you try and get the clasp between the gelly bits. If you do it over the gel it can damage the clasp as it's really too thick!

I prefer normal stockings because they're comfier, easier to adjust and don't fall down as hold ups do!

Adx

My wife used to wear hold-ups at times, but she found them annoying because they didn't always stay up! She concluded that she might just as well wear proper stockings with a suspender belt. I certainly wasn't going to disagree!

The other drawback of hold-ups as described by my wife is that the elasticated tops necessarily squeeze into / stick onto the thighs and can become uncomfortable after a while. Stockings don't have the same problem and allow legs to retain their natural shape.

Hope that helps.

Personally I prefer the feel of stockings and suspenders. Hold ups tend to be tighter at the top and the sticky bit is irritating. Stockings are softer and there's a little bit of movement to them

hold ups do not stay up on me, and im allergic to the plastic stuff. They also have a nasty habit of costricting around themselves and you can't wash and reuse them like you can with a good pair of stockings. I also don't like lace tops cause they irritate so it's easier to get plain top stockings.

even the £5 a pair hold ups feel a bit cheap and nasty to me whereas primarks normal stockings are about the same price for a multi pack and are decent enough.

stockings are comfier and i like the reassurance that theyre not going anywhere ( as i wear stockings instead of tights on a day to day basis)

plus i've worn normal stockings most my adult life so it's what i've known.

Hi

I wear stockings all the time, and hold ups, which i believe are to use without a suspender belt, on occasion. With stockings, there seems to be a larger variety, patterns, thicknesses, etc., and i love them!

Hold ups can be a bit of a pain, and you have to be careful not to get any grease on the 'rubber' bit on the top of hold ups, otherwise they just dont 'stick'. I suppose hold ups give you the feeling of stockings without the unnecessary extra of a suspender belt, but i personally believe that the suspender belt is a very sexy piece to have. I treat them as part of my usual underclothes along with bra and knickers and as i said, wear them daily. I have a lot of suspender belts and am always adding to my collection!

I find that hold ups dont give that lovely smooth leg look that stockings and suspenders do, and do tend to leave thighs with lumps or bulges at the top of the hold up, which i dont think is so attractive. I have had hold ups let me down on intimate occasions. Nothing less attractive than a Nora Batty. No offence Nora

For sheer sexiness and variety, its stockings all the way for me.

I much prefer stockings and suspenders together anyway....so much sexier.

Yarp, I find hold-ups uncomfortable after any serious length of time, just get these horrid welts in my thighs and chafing if they don't stay up perfectly as happens if I get even the slightest bit sweaty or have to move around a lot. I have worn hold-ups with suspenders, and it does work, even if they are more fiddley to get on than non-hold-up stockings. But honestly, for me the only reason to wear hold-ups is to avoid the hassle of having a suspender belt, so if I'm wearing the belt anyway, I'd always prefer the comfier stockings.

Stockings for me any day, I've got long legs for my height and tights always dip in the middle

holdups tend to stick to the wrong thing, got a light skirt stuck to them once Nasty

My OH only does hold ups. Apparently suspenders are a lot of effort to put on?

Stocking and suspenders all the way!!!

after looking at your pic emlou i agree with yuo

Thankyou very much. xx

It's too difficult to fasten suspenders over hold ups, plus it sometimes breaks them. so traditional stockings and hold ups works best. I generally wear hold ups fpr more of an everyday use as boring as that sounds lol, but i suppose it can lead to a nice surprise at home time :-)

Thanks for the helpful responses, as always! Interesting to see that stockings do seem to be most people's favourite!

I think hold ups have their place, but also agree that nothing beats the look of stockings held up with some sexy suspenders ;)

Agreed the fuss and frill factor clips and all adds to the mistique.

We bought the wet look thinking they were hold ups (just for a change) need sussies though as they keep falling down.....not sexy

I prefer Hold ups especially under a fitted dress or skirt. But if i am dressing up for the bedroom, which hasnt been that often recently, it would be stockings and suspenders.

I'm pleased to see so much enthusiasm here for stockings and suspenders. My wife wears them regularly as everyday wear, but she often comments that nobody else seems to do so. I've shown her this thread as evidence that they're the choice of sexy people with good taste.