Sugar boyfriend

Hey everyone,

Having just read and answered Terri's post about compliments it made me want to post to ask about something that happened yesterday to me while out shopping with my 12 year old daughter.

We were walking through the shopping centre when a young gut (early 20's, I am 37) stopped and asked if I had a sugar boyfriend, I got to admit he caught me well off guard and I kinda barked at him "what did you say" to which he smiled and asked do you want a sugar boyfriend? I didn't know what to do with this or what to say so I just smiled and walked away.

I have to admit I was mortified and unsure if I should be offended or not, however my 12 year old was killing herself laughing and when I asked why she said cos you were being hit on!

I am not entire convinced so thought I would open myself on here to get a better perspective than that of my 12 year old daughter!

Has anyone heard this before cos gotta be honest sugar daddy I have heard and know of, sugar boyfriend was new to my ears!

Lilmiss x

No I've never heard this term before either ! Obviously I know what a sugar daddy is and I can only presume a sugar boyfriend is similar but younger ?

He had a bit of a nerve coming on to you in front of your 12 year old in a shopping centre , you clearly had quite an impact on him !

Just take it as a  compliment  although I'm sure your daughter won't be letting you forget it in a hurry :)

I believe wildflower is correct, a sugar boyfriend = a younger guy willing to splash some cash on someone he finds attractive and wants to spend time with.

It's quite a random thing to approach someone for in public, especially when they are with a child, but I guess he liked what he saw so thought it was worth asking! I would take it as a compliment if anything :-)

Hey wildflower,

That's what I thought too, i am not the kind of person who would stop to engage but cos I wasn't sure I heard him right the what did you say was out my mouth before my brain kicked in lol

Nope not living this one down anytime soon with her!

Xx

Hey NatandTom, Thank you, Yup very strange! Maybe in fairness although I was with my daughter he may not have realised as when I tell people I have a 12 year old the first question they ask is how old I am or did I have her when I was a teenager! My mum was 60 this year and looks like she is in her early 40's and when I was younger people thought she wasy big sister! Lol lol

Lilmisshottie wrote:

Hey wildflower,

That's what I thought too, i am not the kind of person who would stop to engage but cos I wasn't sure I heard him right the what did you say was out my mouth before my brain kicked in lol

Nope not living this one down anytime soon with her!

Xx

Yes one of those situations where you can't quite believe you've heard it right lol I would have probably just scuttled away with a bright red face so you did well to smile and just walk off ! x

Looks like good genes run in your family :)

Wildflower,

Exactly! Lol lol

Ha ha my mum tells me this all the time lol lol

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it ❤️

Xx

You're very welcome xx

Hi Lismiss I've heard that before from some young fellas who work with me. And yes the meaning is that a boyfriend and he was clearly flirting with you. Personally I think if you were out with friends, socializing, this kind of thing, it'd be quite ok and flattering. But shopping with your daughter, the guy must have been really interested to come up to you and say something like that. You're lucky because your daughter seems to be a lovely teen. I have a 13 years old as well and she'd be angry with me, not with the guy. She can't accept the fact before being her mum, I'm sa woman like any other - lol!

Thank you Lu SB,

She is a fab kid, she thought it was hilarious to the point she texted dad to tell him and they both had a good giggle!

We try to be as open and honest with the kids on everything including sex and relationships! Can bite us on the bum at times but due to our similar upbringings we feel this is the right thing for us!

Xx

Maybe Rich toy boy might be a phrase that would help you with the terminology.
Yes you were hit on and I'd like to be able now in hindsight to except it as a little confidence booster. I'm sure this young man found you sexy and attractive to be so forward.

However I'm old fashioned and find this a little inappropriate. If every young man allowed his testosterone filled desire to override his common curtesy. Then we would have women af all ages being approached and harassed wether it's desired or not.

Yes you can feel flattered but In front of your 12 yrs old daughter is a little naughty but maybe he thought she was your baby sister.

I've always talked openly to my children about sex. If you try to duck or avoid a sexual question then you create mystery surrounding it
A young mind will run away with that and might miss understand it completely forming the wrong idea. I have two goddaughters who both feel far more comfortable talking to me about sex than their perants.

Hey GG,

Thank you for your input, it means alot!

I wish I could say I felt flattered but given the situation it left me mortified and feeling a fool in front of my daughter, so have to agree it was appropriate behaviour, despite my daughter finding it funny!

Totally agree on the talking sex with kids, our 14 year old son and daughter ask us questions all the time and are very honest about it with us which makes us feel proud!

On the plus side I can use the situation to educate my kids on how not to conduct themselves!

Cheers GG!

Lilmiss xx

If the way you look matches your title then perhaps that's why he asked? Just how sugary he could be depends, vs a sugar daddy, think he was more on the line of FWB, did he really expect an answer in front of your daughter?

At least you'll be a bit better prepared next time,,

Not sure what a sugar boyfriend is, all I know is I'm much to old to be a toyboy and I'm not rich enough to be a sugar daddy

Quiet ones are worse! wrote:

If the way you look matches your title then perhaps that's why he asked? Just how sugary he could be depends, vs a sugar daddy, think he was more on the line of FWB, did he really expect an answer in front of your daughter?

At least you'll be a bit better prepared next time,,

Hi QOAW, Lol I can see where my title may be taken as maybe conceited, but it was my OH who gave me the username @10 years ago when he asked me to join lastfm and he called me his little (am only 5ft) hottie (a nickname he still calls me) and it's kinda stuck! Guess it makes me feel good lol Thank you for taking the time to reply, I honestly have no idea if he was looking for an answer but my initial instinct was more along the lines of him looking for a reaction and I was the target! Lilmiss x

paulsballs wrote:

Not sure what a sugar boyfriend is, all I know is I'm much to old to be a toyboy and I'm not rich enough to be a sugar daddy

Hey paulsballs, Wish I had of been quicker off the mark and said something witty and along the lines of who needs a sugar boyfriend when I work hard to earn my own money to spoil myself! Grrrr why is hindsight always 20 20 lol Lilmiss x