Testosterone supplements for ladies

The BBC had an article today that a leading doctor is proposing this.

Although low testosterone affects woman mainly in menopause, apparently it also can be an effect of depression among other things. The article went on to describe the symptoms as a lack of energy, low sex drive etc.

I was curious if any ladies have tried supplements at all? If so, did they work for you? I have to say reading up on the possible side effects, it seems a little bit of a risky one, but maybe as lo g as the dosage is carefully managed it's ok...

I haven't taken testosterone myself but have read the article . In general i don't think women's libido is taken anywhere near as seriously as men's by most doctors especially at around the time of menopause when it seems to be one of those things you're supposed to ' just accept as part of the process' ! Obviously some doctors have a more modern approach than that !
Yes, there are side effects but surely they could work on adjusting the dosage for women ? I believe testosterone for women is licenced in other countries .And it's not only for libido either , I think it helps with building and retaining muscle and increasing energy .
If it could only be made safer I think lots of women might benefit from it.
It would be interesting to hear if anyones taken it and if it helped .

Sometimes I think the human race just messes with things they dont truly understand . somethings should just be left alone![](upload://f8zGclFeQx35HwZLqJ7J1rFzQ0n.gif)

Robinhood - yeah, I tend to agree, but in this case, I think it's worth reading the article. My wife suffers from depression and mood swings. The current run of medication she's on has stabilized her, but her libido is negligible and she is sleeping about nine hours a night, and still not feeling refreshed. For a person who used to be very active, she now does hardly any exercise.

I kind of wonder whether testosterone boost would give her the lift to get out of this circle. Theoretical anyway - I'm not going to buy meds of the internet, but I do wonder if this is why more women seem to suffer from depression than men.

I havent tried taking this, but I did have a phase for quite sone time where my libido completely vanished and I felt unusually anxious. I dont know if your wife is on the contraceptive pill, but I have found that within two weeks of stopping it, my libido went through the roof and my anxiety symprons have pretty much gone. It might be worth checking whether any contrception clukd be causing depression /low libido.

I also saw this the other day, https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/03/pill-linked-depression-doctors-hormonal-contraceptives?cmp=oth_b-aplnews_d-2

Injecting male hormones into women! Not a good idea unless u want more head on your body and less on your head!

You guys who think this is a bad idea, do you have any medical knowledge? Women naturally have testosterone in their bodies, just like men have oestrogens. It has been noted that giving low doses of testosterone can increase the libido of women who think they suffer from a low libido and therefore help with quality of life.

Yeah Alltomuch, that would be one of the side effects that would have to be sorted ! But women already produce testosterone naturally anyway but in smaller doses than men so it would only be replacing any diminished amounts .

I suffer from elevated testosterone due to polycystic ovary syndrome and that comes with its own unwanted side effects too... Haven't read the article but I'm definitely curious

Here's what I should have done originally..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37588549

Also important to note it's not just libido... it's all round energy....

I've thought about this myself as a perimenopausal woman (libido is great btw in fact through the roof) bud have terrible joint aches, low mood and lack of energy at times and I know it is hormone related and would love the option of getting more testosterone if that is the root of my problems.

My wife had little Testosterone pellets implanted under her skin for a couple of years after she had a hysterectomy,there were no obvious side effects,other than maintaining her libido.If i remember correctly they lasted 3 months.