The Devil and the Deep Blue

Not been as active as I’d like on here, well in terms of contributing anyway.

Mentioned a few times me and Mrs Kink are in a bit of a dry spell (18+ months now). Well, the spell isn’t showing any signs of being over, and I’ll be honest, that light I try and keep on at the end of the tunnel is getting very dim. It’s a real sh!tty situation.
The hardest part is not missing out on kink, I mean that is important for me, but not essential, but lack of intimacy. Kissing, skin on skin contact, feeling wanted, desired or even attractive all seems to be by the by. Of course, being in recovery allows to look at my stuff around this, what it all means, my part etc., which I have spent quite a bit of time around (I posted before around the Monster in my head - I understand him better now).

We have been together for 4 years now, and still very much love Mrs K, and expressing that for me has always been a more physical thing. The ‘spell’ feels like it has become a fricking divide, and our relationship more akin to siblings than romantic. We have talked a lot around things, and I understand how difficult things are for her, and listen to how she feels numb inside (dead is the word she’ll use). I can relate to her in that sense, but not in a sexual manner - and I think that is very much a male female thing. She also feels very tired a lot of the time, and has little enthusiasm for life.
The big issue here is ultimately what is causing the problem. She is still hoping (I think) that it is a physical thing, a hormone related or early menopause signs. Had some blood taken to check for other stuff and came back negative.
Personally I think it is head stuff. This started after she lost her Dad, and here in lays the real difficulty. She has a big thing (fear) around death, and I think is keeping all this stuff in side, not wanting to deal with or accept her Dad has passed.
Part of the problem with this approach is when bottling feelings/refusing to feel, it becomes an all or nothing scenario. You cannot pick and choose what to feel and what not to feel. And in my mind, this is likely to be the cause of her feeling ‘dead’ inside.

Here in lays the problem. I am absolutely helpless. Until she is ready herself to deal with/grieve/process what is going on, I feel I have no choice but to watch her torture herself. On top of the fears around accepting her Dads death, she then of course knows how difficult I have found things without intimacy, and puts that pressure on herself too.

We were talking last night and she suggested if an Open Relationship would help, so I could get my needs me. I have to say hearing that made me feel really bad, angry to begin with, but actually very sad. I said no, it’s not how I’m wired. My needs are being intimate and to feel wanted by Mrs K - and unless she has a clone wandering around, nothing else will provide me with that. Even with her consent, I would feel guilty and unfaithful. And I know for sure it would crucify her too.
For that same reason, solo play doesn’t solve my needs either - it makes it harder as I think more about the kink we’ve had before. The fact she even suggested it however, tells me how much I mean to her.

As part of the same conversations, the message I got is she may never be ready to move on from her Dad passing (whatever that might look like). Of course, that is entirely her choice, all I can do is remind her I am there for her if she chose to.
It feels like the very dim candle at the end of the tunnel has been blown out, and I don’t have any matches left to light it again.

I think I’ve typed this just to get it out of my head a little. Not looking for advice or suggestions etc., it is very much what it is, and ultimately know what my options are. Appreciate it’s not a Happy Thursday read, but thanks for giving me a place to share.

4 Likes

@Mr_Kink1

Well done you for writing that so beautifully and with so much love and support for Mrs. K too. It’s hard to put into words the things that are hurting us. Watching someone suffer when you cannot help them no matter what you say or do is soul destroying.

All I can say is you’re not alone. More people than you think are in this situation. I have that T-Shirt and there is no easy solution and we all get through things in a different way. Hopefully when she’s ready to grieve and process her loss…she’ll turn to you for support and love.

Keep a box of matches in your pocket…don’t give up.

If you need to vent…vent away. Lots of caring supporting members here on the forum.

Hugs
:hugs::hugs::hugs:

2 Likes

I know you said you’re not looking for advice. But I’d like to share? about what happened with me over the last several years. My married life has been dry for several years. My mom passing, working the opposite shift from him, being a health care worker thru covid. I basically started feeling like I was suffocating when we would have PIV and I basically stopped. Just an occasional bj. I started therapy, and she told me I had severe depression and anxiety. Once I got onto meds wow, what a difference! All of a sudden my libido exploded. He was really patient with me and we would occasional talk about what was going on with me. We’ve been married almost 30 years and we’ve had ups and downs before but not like this. Going into therapy for trauma and meds made such a difference I’m gteatful i have sisters who encouraged me to lay it down to my therapist. All three of my sisters went to the same therapist for childhood trauma and this helped us.

I’m sorry this is going on for you, but I’d say just hang in there.

6 Likes

Different people process grief differently, some will shut down emotionally and reject any form of physical contact and others will feel the need for physical and emotional contact as a reassurance that life goes on and we should make the most of it while we’re here.
Thinking logically we know our departed loved ones would want us to remember them, but enjoy life after they’re gone.
Has she tried grief counselling or any form of counselling?
Maybe it will help her?
Good luck with trying to get through this, and as Jilly said, there’s always someone here to lend an experienced and sympathetic ear. This is what the forum excells at. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Not being judgemental, but the solution appears to be that a counselling session is needed to come to terms with the underlying issue that your OH is dealing with.

Counselling was never something that I would have considered, but after a personal situation I that I will not go into, I sort out a counsellor and it was the best thing I have ever done, the release of talking to someone who can assist professionally cannot be under rated.

3 Likes

Thanks all for the replies.
Yes, appreciate the suggestions of counselling, it is something I have mentioned multiple times, but not something she would consider. I am a trainee counsellor myself of 3 years now, and of course explained the benefits etc.,

Ultimately only Mrs K can make the choices as to what’s right for her. She has a big thing about death, and is not ready to explore or face that yet. As @WillC said, grief is an incredibly unique process in all ways, how it affects us, how we process it, and how we balance life around it.

Until Mrs K is ready to ask for help and help herself, there really is little I can do, and that I guess is what the title was about. We’re not married, and do not live together. My fear is no matter how patient and supportive I am, by the time she might get help dealing with things, there may be very little left to repair between us.

4 Likes

Sorry, no advice. But i just wanted to send you big hugs :hugs:
we’re always here if you need to talk or vent or whatever.

2 Likes

Hey you’ve done well, it’s a really good therapy way to open up and literally type out what’s been playing in your mind. I hope having given space to this it has helped you a little to air it all out of your head. Sending big hugs :hugs:

1 Like

You’re a true gent @Mr_Kink1. I’m glad you wrote down your feelings. I do that too though mine ends up as poetry. I can’t write a letter to save myself.

You wrote from your heart and that’s a beautiful thing to be able to do. Even though bits are sad, what you wrote is full of love and understanding, not everyone has these qualities. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Hey @Mr_Kink1 Just want to send you a hug. You expressed that so well and I’m really sorry that you’re both struggling.

1 Like

@Mr_Kink1

You are to be applauded for your bravery in sharing your heartfelt feelings you and your wife have, and are currently experiencing.

You mention that you have been training as a counselor for three years and that counseling is something your wife would not consider.

During your training you might have come across:

“The Five Stages of Grief” - Elisabeth Kübler-Ross.

This might be a good starting point for you in understanding the grief both you and your wife have experienced / is experiencing.

In her book, “On Death and Dying”, Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, a Swiss psychiatrist, describes five common stages of grief and produced the “Five Stages of Grief” model.

Five stages of grief

• Denial :- Avoidance; Confusion; Elation; Shock ; Fear
  • Anger :- Frustration; Irritation; Anxiety
  • Bargaining :- Struggling to find meaning; Reaching out to others; Telling one’s story
  • Depression :- Overwhelmed; Helplessness; Hostility; Flight
  • Acceptance :- Exploring options; New plan in place; Moving on

Further research shows that these stages are not linear and that these five stages of grief are the most commonly observed experienced by the grieving population.

Some people may not experience any of the stages whilst others might only undergo one stage, or two, or three stages etc rather than all five.

Some people move between the different stages more quickly than others, whilst others find difficulty in moving on from one particular stage.

Understanding these stages (and where one has reached) is key towards moving to acceptance.

Further recommended reading:

https://www.psycom.net/stages-of-grief

Support:

CRUSE - Bereavement Support

https://www.cruse.org.ukCruse Bereavement Support: Home

Please accept my apologies if you have found this signposting intrusive. It is sent with my sincerest intention of offering a hand to a fellow member of the Forum Family.

I wish you well in your journey towards acceptance and being able to move on.

2 Likes

Morning , i just wanted to send a virtual hug .
You sound like a very strong understanding partner . I know you said you didnt want advice but … As a female who has been where your partner is now believe me there is light at the end of the tunnel , it took something huge to get me to seek help but now im back on my feet and am so grateful i had an amazing partner next to me waiting and things have never been better . He too was missing touch like you are .
You have written your feelings so beautifully and i hope it has helped you .
Dont put those matches away x

1 Like

Thank you @Himeros1, no apologies needed at all, appreciate your time and effort.
Yes, it is something I have looked at and partly adds to my own frustration.
I think there might be some complexity in there, with possibility of being stuck in denial due to other deaf related fears, but of course I try and leave my counselling mindset at the door and try to just be a supportive partner (of course, I’m only human and I will fail miserably with that at times, especially when I’m not getting my own way).
I have discussed the stages of grief with her though, and not something she wants to really explore. I had found an article explaining the stages and what they’re about as a one pager. I hadn’t looked further for support as yet as she is adamant it won’t help. I try and just continue allowing her time to process. Of course, being a recovering addict, I want to make it all about me and my needs. There has to be a balance though, as of course my needs are important, but equally so are my girlfriends - even if she’s not so aware of them.

So yes, it is nice being knowledgeable around these things, but more difficult when unable to help the person I love.
Thank you for the links, they are both really helpful, esp. the 5 stages as it lists symptoms alongside it. I will share both links with her at some point

1 Like

Thank you, that has given me a lot of hope, as have other comments.
I find writing helps me get out of self, I can read it all back and it helps me understand things a little better and improve my behaviors.
My default will always be wanting my own way regardless of the potential cost of others, and normally see the consequences afterwards.
What is nice is that I can often (not always though) recognize this before I act on something, reflect on it and reign my behavior in before being a selfish pr!ck ha ha.

Maybe this is part of my higher power teaching me the true value of faith and patience, and what it really means to hand things over. I’ll take comfort with that for now.

@Mr_Kink1 Although it is tough, I think the fact you don’t want sex with anyone else speaks volumes. Your moral code should be applauded. You obviously love your wife and that will help her come through this.

Have you suggested some kind of counselling to her?

My partner has some mental health issues after some very traumatic events last year and it soon became apparent that she needed someone to talk to about it that wasn’t me. She wasn’t sure about the idea so I found some websites, set aside a few hours where she wouldn’t be disturbed and let her browse through them to get a better idea if it was something she would be comfortable with.

After a few months with a weekly session, she feels in a much better place and while it’s still not all smooth sailing, I think she’d be the first to suggest it to others

1 Like

I’ve tried suggesting it many times, I’m a trainee counsellor myself and had many sessions as a client and know first hand the benefits I have seen.
Unfortunately she doesn’t want to go down that route, her view is she can be entirely open about what’s going on with me. Which is lovely, but as I have said to her it is completely different to counselling, and although I can recognize stuff that’s going on, I cannot fix stuff for her or do anything related to counselling with her.

I am in recovery myself, and know too well how it is to feel broken and unfixable. Family and friends tried to help me, made no difference until I was prepared to help myself.
Time will only tell how things progress.