The HRT journey

I didn't want to bung up the 'Rant' thread with this, although that is where I started, and thanks to some of you and your replies I have taken the first steps to hopefully a better, more comfortable and stable life.

I am 47 and currently suffering some pretty awful menopausal symptoms - ridiculously over emotional, lack of memory, unable to string a sentence together a lot of the time, horrendous aching in most of my joints, periods that have decided to have an agenda all of their own to name but a few. I don't have the typical hot flushes, I am either just very hot or very cold.

Basically I have got to the point where I literally feel I am losing the plot and have no control over my body or my mind!! And unfortunately my sex drive has also taken a nose dive recently - arghhhh!

Anyway, like I said, thanks to some of your kind replies I have been to my GP who was very understanding, gave me a leaflet to read regarding the risks of HRT and told me to book in with the Practice Nurse. I read the leaflet, and yes there are some risks, but for me these are outweighed by my current existence - I cannot go on like this. So today I visited the nurse having pretty much made up my mind what I wanted. Again, she was just great. She listened to me, explained the possible problems related to HRT, as had already been outlined in the leaflet, and also explained the different types available, which would be best suited to me etc etc.

It was agreed between us that I should start on a combination HRT at a low dose that can be upped if needed later on (I will be collecting tomorrow and start immediately). She also explained that I shouldn't expect an immediate miracle cure, and that we would review in about 3 months time to see how things are going. On top of this she recommended a good multi vitamin could help (hopefully I have remembered this right, something containing vitD, vitC, iron, vitB6 I think there was more but I think these were the main ones).

I will let you know how things go - and just to say to anyone else who is suffering, don't suffer in silence, just going and talking about it, and realising you are not the only one, and in fact you aren't going mad could help enormously.

Xxxxx

2 Likes

That's great news! I'm so pleased you bit the bullet and went to see your GP. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks you will start to see an improvement. We take Boots A-Z Multiviamins & Minerals, as these are a good coverall, and they are always on a 3 for 2 offer. Hormones are such a pain, and I really do hope that things settle down for you soon hun xxx

Scorpius12 wrote:

That's great news! I'm so pleased you bit the bullet and went to see your GP. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks you will start to see an improvement. We take Boots A-Z Multiviamins & Minerals, as these are a good coverall, and they are always on a 3 for 2 offer. Hormones are such a pain, and I really do hope that things settle down for you soon hun xxx

Thanks scorps - I will have a look at those xxx

I'm 31 and I am going to admit it here, I have NO IDEA about the menopause. I know nothing what to expect bar a bit of hearsay like playground nonsense. Although I can offer no practical advice I'm showing my support to you ans have to say being able to read what your experiences are is really helpful.

Delighted for you, well done hopefully you'll feel as if you've got your body and life back in a few weeks once things have kicked in hugs

Glad you're getting things sorted LNT , hopefully you'll be back to your normal self very soon . Hormones are great when they're working but crap when they're not xx

Good luck ladies. Rosy had you at older than that, not idea why but didn't think you were the same age as me.

NaughtyNerd wrote:

Good luck ladies. Rosy had you at older than that, not idea why but didn't think you were the same age as me.

Oh lordy - now I really do feel the old lady - old enough to be both of your mothers!!! Lol xxx

Well today is the first day of my HRT - I have also started taking a multi vitamin as suggested by the practice nurse. Obviously I know nothing is going to happen overnight, and if things do start to improve I won't really know if it's the HRT or the vitamins, but tbh I don't care so long as things get better.

Is there anyone else out there who has been/still is going through this now as I would love to hear your experiences, good or bad.

Xxx

Honestly I haven't got the foggiest idea what's happening with my body right now ....I'm assuming I'm peri menopausal because of my age ( 53) but I haven't been to the doctors about it yet as I was kind of hoping I could get past this without the need for HRT .

I have been having aching shoulders and arms lately and think I've had a hot flush once or twice but that's it so it's really not too bad for me, it's quite like having PMS . I do get the mood swings which probably make me a bit unpleasant to live with now and then !

Obviously with having had a hysterectomy I haven't got period disturbances that other women get .Although I did keep my ovaries there's a good chance that ovaries can start to fail within 3 years after the op so I'm thinking that's whats happening now . Luckily though my sex drive seems unaffected ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with HRT and I've got a couple of questions if that's ok.

Firstly , is HRT on a normal paid for prescription and how much of it do you get ? Basically I'm wondering how much it would cost for say a month or whatever .

Secondly, do you know what happens when you have to stop taking it after whatever time limit your doctor decides on ? Do you start getting all the symptoms again ?

Hope you don't think I'm being too nosy but I don't know anyone who's taken HRT and as you've recently spoken to your practice nurse about you're the best person to ask !

Anyway hope things start looking up for you asap xxx

I don't mind you asking at all - precisely why I started the thread so I could share with others and hopefully some one can answer any questions I may have along the way.

I have just picked up my first lot of tablets which is a course of three months. I had to pay two prescription fees presumably because I am on a combination HRT (two different hormones, one taken for 16 days out of 28 and the other for 12 days), so I guess this counts as two prescriptions.

As far as I can gather by the time I have to come off the HRT I should have fully completed the menopause so hopefully the symptoms will not return.

The above is my understanding of it all, if any one knows any different please feel free to comment.

Xxx

Thanks for your very quick reply LNT !

That's really helpful to know because I haven't actually been been able to find that information anywhere else . All I know is I'd only need oestrogen HRT because of the hysterectomy . It's certainly something for me to think about .

May I say what a great idea for a thread this is because menopause seems to be one of those things thats still not talked about very much so it's nice to know we can ask stuff here xxx

Very early days but at least I haven't experienced any nausea or any of the other possible side effects yet. Unfortunately no real improvements yet either, I know, way too soon but I am so impatient, I want everything to happen over night, or sooner if possible.

Hope to have something to report soon.

Xxxx

I hope HRT works well for you x

I had a hysterectomy in Nov last year and was desperate to keep my one functioning ovary as I am unable to have HRT so dread the menopause. Thank goodness it could be left but menopause will happen within the next 5 yrs by then I hope that advances will be made.

First I'm so sorry to hear this but glad your getting some help.

My wife suffered for many years until we found something called "Shatavari"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asparagus_racemosus

I know were not supposed to endorse but I'm hoping in your deserving case I'll get away with it. Pukka do two types and it massively reduced my wife's sweats, moods and helped her sleep again at night.

Please check with your GP that its OK to take as well as your HRT , if you choose too.

Good luck

I hope this will make you feel a lot better! It does help many women (and will reduce the risk of osteoporosis and fractures after taking it for a few years) :)

Feel a bit bad for missing this after all the support you've given me during our issues.

Although I have no experience of this I'm glad things appear a little better for you, hopefully everything calms down for you quickly.

Hugs.

Thank you all for your encouragement and support.

LUC - that's so sweet, but please don't feel bad you have had much more important things to concentrate on, and it appears you are doing well so that's great. Keep it up xxx

Hi ladies, I'm new to these forums. Only discovered love honey a month ago! Don't know what rock I've been under. Lol

HRT for me saved my sanity and I've had very positive effects from it. Hysterectomy early thirties plus ovaries out too. Various tablet forms of hrt for several years then tried to go through the menopause. Omg it was true lay awful hot sweats, memory issues felt generally dreadful and old!

Lovehoney Indulge Me Padded Plunge Bra

Arggg, was still typing and iPad went on a mad one. Lol.

Hrt has been very positive for me, have a bust again and labia have plumped back up. Highly recommend using hrt to get through the menopause help is there to get through it. Have watched female friends ruin their lives trying to do it naturally and are bonkers.

Black coshh was recommend once but it did nothing for me.