The HRT journey

Novicebdsm - thank you for sharing - certainly fills me with hope that I can feel human again.

I think most women have at least some understanding of what the menopause can do physically, but I was totally unaware of the psychological effects, and that lack of knowledge truly had me questioning my sanity - I really started to believe I was losing my mind, and being pretty strong headed the not being able to control my emotions, the lack of memory, unable to 'function' to my full capacity, the clumsiness etc etc and not having control over any of it it what drove me to take action in the end.

I am hopeful to regain control over my life very soon.

Again, thank you for sharing xxx

Sadly nothing really to report at the moment - only in my second week though so I know I am expecting too much. I am so desperate for this to work for me - not just to regain my sanity, but to give hope to anyone else out there who may be going through the same thing.

Xxx

lovingnewtoys wrote:

Sadly nothing really to report at the moment - only in my second week though so I know I am expecting too much. I am so desperate for this to work for me - not just to regain my sanity, but to give hope to anyone else out there who may be going through the same thing.

Xxx

I was wondering how you were getting on hun. I am feeling so low now with everything. It is definately peri-menopause for me too - all brought on by my surgery a couple of years ago. Sometimes it feels as though I am loosing my mind, and the palpitations and anxiety are driving me crazy! I was really hoping that you would be feeling something by now, but I guess 2 weeks is still very early days. Fingers crossed they start working for you soon xxx

lovingnewtoys wrote:

Xxx

Did they give you a rough timescale of how quickly it would start to work ? Trouble is when you're feeling so rubbish you want instant results .

I really do feel for you , it's horrible to feel like everything is out of control not just physically but mentally too . You know why it's happening but you just can't stop it .

Hope you start to feel an improvement soon xx

lovingnewtoys wrote:

Very early days but at least I haven't experienced any nausea or any of the other possible side effects yet. Unfortunately no real improvements yet either, I know, way too soon but I am so impatient, I want everything to happen over night, or sooner if possible.

Hope to have something to report soon.

Xxxx

Hi LNT....hope things improve for you over time...sending you lots of love and hugs. ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

@Scorps - please at least consider going for a chat with your GP/Nurse. I know it is a hard subject to talk about, and maybe like me, you may think that you won't be taken seriously. I have to tell you my GP and Nurse couldn't have been more understanding and helpful, and I think they could sense my desperation by the fact I could barely stop myself from crying whilst trying to talk to them. It is worth the visit, and maybe just hearing from someone else that this is the cause of your low mood, anxiety etc will make you realise you are not in fact going mad, and that there could be help out there for you. Please - make the call xxxx

@Wildflower - TBH I was just told not to expect an immediate miracle cure. I am assuming that I have to allow at least one 28 day course due to the fact that I have 16 days on one hormone followed by 12 days on the other. I have a follow up appointment after about 10 weeks to see how I am getting on, and to possibly increase the dosage if there really is no improvement at all.

I liken it a bit to waiting for a LH parcel to arrive - I want it NOW!!!!

I actually think there MAY be some improvement in my mood - I have found myself laughing a bit more again, having said that I am also still conscious that I can switch at the click of a finger. xxxx

@Richie1 - You truly are a sweetheart - thank you for your thoughts and hugs xxxx

Its a horrible place to be. I'm struggling to cope and if I look back at the past 2 years or so I realise that it all started then. I've been on antidepressants for around 18 months. I think they're helping a bit but I still cry at stupid things. My poor oh has considered walking away a few times...I dont blame him at all. I'm hell on earth to live with at the moment.

I can understand completely why you're impatient for the medication to kick in and start working but I'm guessing timescales are different for each person. I'm like you though...after taking something for a few days I want to know why it isnt working !

Sending big hugs to everyone who is in the same boat and struggling. I suppose at least we know it has to come to an end....eventually xx

LNT, That's great that you're laughing more. Sounds like the meds may be starting to take effect, it'll probably take time to get back to your old self. Take it one day at a time and you'll get there in the end. Look at improvements like laughing more as small victories, eventually you'll win the war with as the victories get more frequent. Sending positive vibes and hugs hunni ๐Ÿ˜™๐Ÿ’—xx

LNT - Hope your journey is continuing the path it was on the last time you spoke about it a few days back. I've noticed you've been as helpful as we know you to be, so I am guessing you're not as down as you've been a month or so back x

Tiger Dick wrote:

LNT - Hope your journey is continuing the path it was on the last time you spoke about it a few days back. I've noticed you've been as helpful as we know you to be, so I am guessing you're not as down as you've been a month or so back x

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but today I have a headache from hell.

This morning was the first tablet of the second hormone - I don't think it would be anything to do with that, but I am trying to make a mental note day by day of any changes.

I do think my aches and pains are a little improved, and my mood is slightly more lifted than a month or so ago, although I am still pretty volatile and easily upset.

My sex drive sadly is still pretty non existent, which in turn is not helping my mood as I know I still want to enjoy 'fun time' with Mr LNT but my body just isn't feeling it - and I know he doesn't want to pressure me, but it's unfair on him too.

I have just made a little order in the hope I can feel the normal excitement of a LH delivery and hopefully over the weekend I can pull myself together and we can enjoy eachother!!

I have tried to give some constructive advice to others recently - I hope I have been of some help to someone somewhere xxxx

1 Like

I don't know if it will help you LNT when my late OH went through this, I wanted to help in any way I could to relieve the aches and pains. I suggested she lay on the bed face down and I gave her a gentle neck and back massage with scented oil, and she said it really helped relax her and eased the symptoms a little, and it often helped her slip into a relaxed sleep, sometimes while I was still massaging her. Perhaps your OH could try this? I don't know if it would work for you, but from my experience it is certainly worth a try. xxxxx

I wish I had something positive to report (3 weeks in now). I still think physically things have improved slightly so far as the aching joints etc are concerned BUT

To be honest I am feeling more down than ever. Last night I literally cried myself to sleep, no real reason for it, it just happened.

I feel I am in this limbo state - I get up, go to work, function at work - just - try really hard to smile, joke and sometimes even laugh, but it is all a real effort, and it's exhausting. I then come home and cannot carry on the pretence anymore. I know this is not only affecting me but Mr LNT too and I hate it.

I really want to be close to him, but even just having a cuddle makes me cry - I stem it as much as I can because I cannot expect him to understand something I don't understand myself.

I really need some reassurance that this is going to improve sometime soon.

I have spent quite sometime here trying to help and advise other forum users with their own problems a) because I genuinely like to help if I can and b) to try and remove myself from my own issues. However, I think this may have backfired on me slightly so I am afraid I will be backing down a bit while I try and sort my own head out. I am not leaving but just won't be contributing as much, especially to the 'deeper' threads. I will probably stick to the more upbeat game type threads.

Hopefully in another couple of weeks or so I will feel in a better place to start being more helpful to others - in the meantime, don't feel I don't care because I do, but I need to concentrate on myself and what's going on with me xxxxx

lovingnewtoys wrote:

I wish I had something positive to report (3 weeks in now). I still think physically things have improved slightly so far as the aching joints etc are concerned BUT

To be honest I am feeling more down than ever. Last night I literally cried myself to sleep, no real reason for it, it just happened.

I feel I am in this limbo state - I get up, go to work, function at work - just - try really hard to smile, joke and sometimes even laugh, but it is all a real effort, and it's exhausting. I then come home and cannot carry on the pretence anymore. I know this is not only affecting me but Mr LNT too and I hate it.

I really want to be close to him, but even just having a cuddle makes me cry - I stem it as much as I can because I cannot expect him to understand something I don't understand myself.

I have spent quite sometime here trying to help and advise other forum users with their own problems a) because I genuinely like to help if I can and b) to try and remove myself from my own issues. However, I think this may have backfired on me slightly so I am afraid I will be backing down a bit while I try and sort my own head out. I am not leaving but just won't be contributing as much, especially to the 'deeper' threads. I will probably stick to the more upbeat game type threads.

Hopefully in another couple of weeks or so I will feel in a better place to start being more helpful to others - in the meantime, don't feel I don't care because I do, but I need to concentrate on myself and what's going on with me xxxxx

Hi LNT.....sorry to hear you are really struggling with this. You mention that it is starting to affect your OH, and just having a cuddle makes you cry, so you are stemming the tears as you feel it will be difficult for him to understand. I urge you not to do that, if you need to cry then let it out, if he loves you then he will understand....you need lots of cuddles right now and he is the person to give them to you, and make you feel safe. Keep talking to him about what you are experiencing...you will get through this.....together. xxxxx

lovingnewtoys wrote:

Hi LNT, really sorry to hear it's still been hard on you :/ Are you still being reviewed by your GP? Maybe go back to him and tell him about your mood, see if there are any adjustments that can be made?

In the meantime, you should certainly look after yourself, and please don't feel bad about it! I'm always seeing you being so supportive and encouraging towards others here, I'm sure no one will be upset about you caring for yourself too :) Sending hugs!

The progesterone part of the pill cycle is needed to help shed the womb lining as you don't want to have a build up that can potentially cause problems. You may be sensitive to progesterone, did you suffer from PMT? At which part of your cycle did you feel your happiest/best this would indicate what hormone you feel better on. Go back to your gp and discuss other options and/or ask if there is a menopause clinic at your local hospital. There may be a gynae/obstetrician who can help. Feeling this low is the pits. A low dose anti d might help. I spent a year on a very low dose of sertraline and that helped so much. There is light at the end of this it's finding the right light switch. ย There is an excellent source of information hereย https://menopausematters.co.uk/

Hey LNT you do what you need to do for you. Take a bit or time out, bit like we did, concentrate on you, lurk if you feel like it, do games etc, we'll still be here when you're ready to return full time, as we have found.

Big hugs for our biggest supporter xx.

I'm so sorry you're going through all this :(

Hope you find the real LNT again soon.

You do need to talk to Mr LNT's about this, keep him in the loop, its not knowing that is the worst thing for an OH.

Speak to your GP and keep an emotional diary, just to help you rate your days, make notes of anything you might be feeling both emotionally and physically.

Above all do what you feel is right for you. Yes many of us will miss your input and insights but I urge you to look after your own needs, we'll be here if you need a chat but totally understand why you need your own space ATM. XX

1 Like

LNT - I'd just like to echo what everyone else has said . If you can confide in your OH how you're feeling it might help ....I think sometmes men understand a lot more than we give them credit for .

Just take care of yourself and hope to see you back in sparkling form again very soon xxx

Thank you all xxx

Like I said, I am not going to disappear (you should be so lucky), but I am going to consciously avoid the 'deeper' threads. As much as I like to think I can help everyone I need to concentrate on myself and Mr LNT. Games and updating this thread will be my limit for the time being. Still thinking of you all though.

In answer to some of your comments:-

I go for a review in about 6/7 weeks time as the hrt has to have a chance to do its thing, and I think I mentioned at the beginning I am currently on the low dose combination hrt which gives wiggle room if needed. It's my own fault for expecting too much too soon, and I was warned at the start this was not going to be a fast fix.

As far as Mr LNT goes, he is being so patient with me, it is totally me keeping my distance as I don't want to set myself off if I can help it. I cannot fault him in any way. What I need is a kick up the backside and get myself in a better mindset. To be honest, I have some serious making up to do with him - we both deserve better than this. There is no doubt he loves me - he is still here for a start!!!

Anyway, thank you again for your kind thoughts and comments - watch this space as they say xxxx