The L word...

Hi everyone

Just curious about how far into your relationship did you start to feel love for your partner. And then when did you actually say I love you.

And also which one of you said it first...

I'm almost 4 months into a new relationship, we're long distance and have met twice so far. We are meeting again in 3 weeks time. We message every day, but also speak on the phone and Skype a lot too.

I think I've been feeling like I'm feeling the L word for a little while now, and I'm definitely getting vibes from him that he feels the same, but not 100% sure.

There's no way I'd say those 3 little words first, mainly because I think it takes more time for the guy to realise he feels the same. But I want to be sure of my feelings too.

Really interested to hear all your experiences :)

For me it was all a bit quick . About 10 weeks I think it was. I whispered " I think I love you" in her ear, she said " I think I do too! " ! 6 years later we're married with 2 kids and as happy as ever, so I think it's right to say it whenever you really feel it. Good luck if it is true love ☺️

My partner was saying it within 1-2 weeks, and I said it in response so as not to be awkward, but wasn't quite ready to mean it yet. It did take me about 4-5 months before I was certain that that's how I felt. It certainly varies from couple to couple! :)

It's always me that says it first, except for one occasion, and that relationship was a disaster πŸ˜…
It's a bit sh!t really but when I have feelings for someone I give it my all, and I feel like the biggest gesture I can make to show my love is to make myself entirely vulnerable to them, and give myself completely. I have real issues around control so for me to hand that over; it's a big deal. That has backfired spectacularly in the past, and I have been hurt so very badly. But I'd do it again. And again. And again. Madness? Perhaps. But my god the highs are worth the lows.
Basically what I'm saying is, if it feels like love for you, don't be afraid to embrace it. He's probably feeling the same way!

It is a difficult one because men can scare easy when you say the L word.
In my first serious relationship he was younger than me and I think it was more puppy love than anything because he said it straight from the start and it took me time.
This time with my Fella, I didn't know instantly again but it took like 2 months and when we split briefly from emotions flying all over the place I realised I loved him and told him and he said the same.

Time doesn't mean anything but if you celebrate Valentine's maybe see what comes out of it - he might say the L word first?.
I used to joke saying 'you love me for it?' When we teased each other try that? Either he'll laugh with you or say something along the lines of yeah I do...

I don't think there's ever a right time or a wrong time. Many years ago, I was with this guy who after 2 "dates" blurted out he loved me. I was taken back and just kinda smiled not knowing what to do. Turned out he just knew it was love really early on as that was 12 years ago and we are still together.

Whether its 2 days or 2 years you say to when you feel the time is right. He may be holding off saying it incase you don't feel the same.

I used to fall in love quickly but, looking back, I'm not sure whether the initial stages were really just lust and excitement.

I haven't said I love you (in the romantic sense) to anyone for years. I don't necessarily think that's because I haven't loved anyone, but because love didn't look like what I expected it to look like.

I think love comes in many forms. I could say I love you meaning the initial love in a new(ish) relationship but I could also say it to mean the committed, bonded type of love that (hopefully) comes later in a relationship. I love some of my friends dearly but not romantically, yet that love is often seen as lesser than romantic love.

If I think about it too much I get sucked into a philosophy wormhole. What even is love?!

My OH said it after about 2 months and I got so happy! Immediately said it back πŸ˜„

When we did say it to each other we had been together a 2-3 months and the feeling were mutual and we will have been together 8 years this year we did have a good friendship first as we were friends just a under a 2 years befor we got together.

When you meet In 3 weeks see how each of you feel and how you are around each other and it might feel natural to say it to one another. If this isn't the right time to say it then just spend a bit longer getting to know one another and let the feelings still grow.

Don't think you can put a timescale on this. It would depend how often you've seen your SO, the amount of communication you've had/have. X

We had already said it prior to being in a relationship as we were close friends for a couple of years first. Obviously the types of love were different, but once we realized we had feelings for each other, the romantic love didn't take long to build. I think it was said within the first month of being together. It was him who said it first.

I think there's no set time frame to tell someone, just when it feels right. When that perfect moment comes, you'll feel it x

Fairly soon then i guess, but around 2 weeks in. But then that was over a decade ago now :)

Chap half here. I pretty much knew it the morning after i met her (nothing had happened), i just knew it. Took a few weeks to assure myself it wasn't just lust then ee both pretty much said it together. So all in all quite quick.

As for the nonsense of scaring a man off..... the reality is

a) he might not be ready to say it just yet so be prepared to accept that. It isn't a lack of commitment or a knock back; its just the way it is even though it hurts 🀐 worst is he knows you're ready fior the next step.

b) if he's a runner, then i would say he's the man for you. It's pretty immature in my head to run because someone loves you.

Just my thoughts mind, and I'm no lothario but I've always known my head from my heart, and sometimes you just have to listen to your heart.
Go for it, all love is a risk which with luck pays out handsomely.

Thanks for sharing guys, very interesting reading all your experiences :)

I have only ever been in three long term relationships and each time it has been my OH who said it first - I can't stand the though of rejection so held back.

Mr LNT first said it to me very early on (about 2 weeks in if I remember rightly) which completely knocked my socks off.

Twenty seven years on we still tell eachother pretty much every day, normally as we say goodnight xxx

I think me and my other half had been together for about four months - he said it first and I couldn't have been happier or more surprised. I asked him to repeat himself as I thought I'd misheard! ![](upload://l9s9e23YKLHpoOzgGVeUkhZGcEr.gif)

We got close very quickly it just felt right, though we waited about three weeks before sex, but emotionally very close after a fortnight, I struck gold, we're celebrating 10 years marraige this year.

Me and my partner said it pretty much instantly, we had feelings back in high school but me being the geeky kid and her the popular pretty girl group it never went anywhere until 1 night we reconnected and within days moving in together , now 3 kids later and still as happy as day one we are now planning our wedding

My wife and I were friends first (not super close ones) and once we started dating we practically lived in each others pockets. Only spent 2 or 3 nights apart in the first half dozen years together. I moved in with her after a month! It was me that first said I loved her, after about 6 weeks I think.

We've had our ups and downs, trialled an open relationship, even separated entirely for 8 months, but got back together and are going stronger than ever as a result. Coming up for 13 yrs now.

the OH and I were in an LDR for a while before we spent any decent time together, so our relationship consisted of a while part, followed by some intense time together with no break, you figure out pretty quickly like that whether its love or not IMO.

We've been together for most of our adult life now, and we've stuck together through some serious shit, I genuinely think we have an unbreakable bond.