The Recipe Swap

Just to warn you, it welds itself to the dish when it cools so we usually soak the dish the same evening.

I’m loving the lemony dessert dessert ideas as I am much more interested in citrus puds than chocolate, will probably leave out the scalded feet step though (if I can!) - ouch!

Also love the sound of the veggie crumble, will definitely give that a go at some point

1 Like

Copying over from the “what are you cooking” thread -

I made omurice for me and my boyfriend today! My recipe for 2:

Toppings:
1/4 Diced Onions
6 Sliced Mushrooms
4 slices of Ham
1 Ricecup’s worth of steamed rice

Omurice sauce:
3 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp water

Garlic powder
Chopped spring onions
Salt and Pepper to taste

I stir fried the toppings, then added the rice and sauce and stirfried until most of the moisture was evaporated, and added the seasoning to taste and spring onions on top. I then made two omelettes and plated the dish by putting the omelettes on top of the rice piles, and drizzled more of the omurice sauce on top. It was really delicious!

5 Likes

BEETROOT SOUP
3 x large beetroot
1 x large chopped onion
1 x large potato peeled and quartered
3 x cloves of chopped garlic
1 x large piece of chopped ginger
1 x Vegetable stock cube
Ground black pepper
Sea salt

Topping
Feta cheese
Horse radish sauce

Wash then cook the beetroot, preferably in a pressure cooker for 5 minutes to release the skin which will now slide off easily.

Clean the skins off and strain the beetroot water back into the cooker then add the stock cube.

Return the beetroot and all other ingredients to the pressure cooker adding more water if necessary and cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes.

When the cooker is safe to open, use a hand blender to blend all of the now cooked ingredients adding more water if it’s too thick.

Reheat as required, season to taste and add some cubed feta and a good helping of horse radish sauce.

The horse radish can be substituted for creme fraiche.

4 Likes

Turkey Chilli

INGREDIENTS

• 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, roughly chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 500g turkey mince
  • 1 tablespoon chilli powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
  • 300ml chicken stock
  • 2 x 400g tins red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 x 325g tin of sweetcorn, drained and rinsed

STEP 1
Heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.

STEP 2
Add the minced turkey to the pan, stir until cooked through and then add the chilli powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and salt, stirring well.

STEP 3
Add the tomatoes, stock, kidney beans and sweetcorn. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the chilli thickens.

Serves 6. Reduce/increase the amount of cayenne pepper to taste.

I like to serve over rice, topped with a dollop of creme fresh and a small amount of grated cheese.

1 Like

A fav recipe of ours, that we have done loads of times is Greek lemon chicken and rice. Super tasty, and easy. (serves 4)

Ingredients:-

CHICKEN AND MARINADE
5 or 6 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
1 - 2 lemons, use the zest + 4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp dried oregano
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp salt

RICE
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, separated
1 small onion, finely diced
1 cup (180g) long grain rice , uncooked (Note 6)
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) chicken broth / stock
3/4 cup (185 ml) water
1 tbsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp salt
Black pepper

GARNISH
Finely chopped parsley or oregano (optional)
Fresh lemon zest (highly recommended)

Instructions:-

• Combine the Chicken and Marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag and set aside for at least 20 minutes but preferably overnight.

TO COOK

• Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.

• Remove chicken from marinade, but reserve the Marinade.

• Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a deep, heavy based skillet over medium high heat.

• Place the chicken in the skillet, skin side down, and cook until golden brown, then turn and cook the other side until golden brown. Remove the chicken and set aside.

• Pour off fat and wipe the pan with a scrunched up ball of paper towel (to remove black bits), then return to the stove.

• Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until translucent. Then add the remaining Rice ingredients and reserved Marinade.

• Let the liquid come to a simmer and let it simmer for 30 seconds. Place the chicken on top then place a lid on the skillet. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Then remove the lid and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender (so 45 minutes in total).

• Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving, garnished with parsley or oregano and fresh lemon zest, if desired.

4 Likes

I make this in a 5 litre casserole pan because it serves 6-8 (with a chunk of bread) and is great to warm up the next day. You can easily half it for 3-4 though.

And for the calorie conscious, it’s less than 500 cals per serving when divided by 6 (with 12 sausages).

Sausage and Pearl Barley Stew - serves 6-8

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp oil
  • 12-16 pork sausages (2 per serving)
  • 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
  • 600g carrots, cut into 1" chunks (half lengthways too if large)
  • 3 celery sticks, sliced
  • 3 large bay leaves
  • 2 tsp thyme
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp mild chilli powder
  • 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
  • 1.25-1.5ltr veg stock (I like to use 2 Knorr stock pots)
  • 175g pearl barley
  • 1 lemon zest (or 1 tbsp lemon juice)
  • Salt and pepper

Method

1. In large casserole pan: Fry sausages in dash of oil until browned (10 mins). Set aside.
  2. Soften onion, carrots, celery, bay and thyme in remaining oil (10 mins)
  3. Add garlic and chilli and stir for a few mins.
  4. Stir in tomatoes, stock, barley and lemon.
  5. Return sausages to pan. Bring to boil then lower heat to simmer.
  6. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stir frequently until pearl barley and carrots are tender. Add more water if too thick.
  7. Remove bay leaves. Season. Serve.

You don’t need bread if you make it for 6, but it can easily stretch to 8 with a nice wholemeal cob on the side :smiley:

Note that the barley swells and continues to thicken the stew if saved for the next day, so you might need to add a dash more water to slacken.

4 Likes

Thanks!

Cottage Pie

INGREDIENTS

• 1tbsp sunflower oil
  • 1 med onion, peeled and chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 500g minced beef
  • 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 level tbsp plain flour
  • 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 beef stock cube
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Dash of Worcestershire sauce
  • 450g mashed potato
  • Knob of butter

METHOD

• Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and carrots and cook over medium heat for about 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have started to soften. Add the beef to the pan and cook for about 5-10 mins, stirring to break up the meat, until it browns. Once the meat is crumbly, stir occasionally to prevent it from sticking and burning. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for a few mins.

• Sprinkle over the flour, mix it in well and heat for 3-4 mins to cook the flour.

• Pour in the can of tomatoes, sprinkle in the stock cube, and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring continually, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 mins, until it thickens slightly and the vegetables are tender. If the sauce seems very thick, just add a little boiling water.

• Set oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.

• Stir the Worcestershire sauce into mince, then spoon into a dish and level the surface.

• Spread mashed potato over the mince. Score the surface with a fork and put butter on top.

• Bake in the center of the oven for about 20-30 mins, or until the pie is golden and the filling is bubbling. For a crisp, golden finish, sprinkle your cottage pie with lashings of cheddar cheese and pop under the grill for a few minutes longer. Serve straight from the oven.

3 Likes

The winning hybrid mincemeat recipe from my recent mince pie trials is now available in all well-stocked pantries…

Mincemeat - makes 2x 340g jars / 24 standard mince pies

Ingredients

• 75g sultanas
  • 75g raisins
  • 50g prunes, chopped
  • 25g dried cranberries
  • 75ml brandy
  • ½ small orange zest
  • ½ small lemon zest
  • 30ml lemon juice
  • 50g shredded beef suet
  • 100g soft light brown sugar
  • 25g soft dark brown sugar
  • 25g mixed candied peel, chopped
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ginger
  • ½ tsp allspice
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg
  • 1 small Bramley apple, peeled and grated

Method

1. Put all ingredients in a large saucepan and mix well.
  2. Stir over low-medium heat for 1-2 mins until suet melts.
  3. Spoon and press into 2 sterilised jam jars.
  4. Leave to mature for at least 2 weeks before use.
  5. Store unopened for 3 months. Once opened, store for 1 month in fridge.
3 Likes

@Baby_Jane Thank you for that. I’ll give it a try. I’m not keen on shop bought stuff, but this sounds good.

1 Like

We all really enjoyed it; In recent years I’ve bought a few top-end supermarket versions that tasted lovely at the time, but now that we’ve tried homemade, they don’t really cut it. I hope you like it too :kissing_heart:

1 Like

If you can get the suet fresh it makes a massive difference too. Were lucky enough to have a really good local butcher, so its not hard to buy for us, but it beats anything out of a jar by a very wide margin

1 Like

Just saw this and thought of your stodgy, gingery goodness from yesterday. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yum. Parkin os the best. Resisting eating it till its matured enough is always so hard but its 100% worth it

2 Likes

A-ha! Excellent timing! And it’s pretty close to the one I make, although we prefer a reversed treacle:syrup ratio so that it isn’t quite so dark. :grinning:

So tasty :drooling_face: Thinking of my next piece after tonight’s tea. Mmmmm

1 Like

I completely agree. I love it when the top goes ultra gooey so it sticks to the back of your front teeth as you bite it. :drooling_face::+1:

Editing in the recipe…

Yorkshire Parkin - serves 12-16

Ingredients

• 125g butter
  • 125g soft dark brown sugar
  • 100g treacle
  • 200g golden syrup
  • 225g oatmeal, OR, cheap rolled oats blitzed in food processor
  • 125g plain flour
  • 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
  • 5 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp mixed spice
  • ⅛ tsp white pepper (optional, but recommended for extra heat)
  • 2 eggs
  • 75ml milk

Method

1. Preheat oven to 140°C/120°C Fan/Gas Mark 1.
  2. Grease a 8"/20cm square baking tin and line with parchment.
  3. Mix flour, baking powder, spices and oatmeal in a bowl.
  4. Warm butter, treacle, syrup, and sugar in a pan until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Don’t simmer.
  5. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir briefly.
  6. Add beaten eggs and milk gradually until just combined.
  7. Pour into tin and bake for about 1 hour 15 mins or until an inserted toothpick comes out almost clean.
  8. Cool completely, remove from tin and wrap in parchment paper and foil.
  9. Store in airtight tin for at least 5 day before eating. Keeps for a week afterwards.
  10. Serve alone or with custard.

Note: Oatmeal gives a nuttier but grainier texture, while blitzed rolled oats promote softer stodge (plus they’re easier to find in shops)

1 Like

Just got round to collecting the final few pumpkins from my allotment and turned one of them into pumpkin and ginger soup.
It couldn’t be easier!

1 x medium or half a large pumpkin, diced and skin off
2 x medium onions diced
2 x cloves of garlic diced
1 x large chunk of ginger diced
Black pepper
1/4 tsp of chilli flakes
Small bunch of fresh coriander
1/2 litre vegetable stock

Gently cook the onions, garlic & ginger in olive oil until soft in a large saucepan then add the pumpkin and continue to cook in the oil for a further 10 mins turning occasionally.

Add the stock, pepper, coriander and chilli flakes. Bring the pan to the boil and cook gently until the pumpkin is soft but not mushy.

Blend the soup until smooth adding a little more water until it’s at your desired consistency.

Enjoy with fresh crusty bread and plenty of real butter :grin:

3 Likes

@Joe_90 Yum, this looks good! I also copied down your beetroot soup recipe from last month. I’ll have to give them both a try in the next couple weeks :yum:

1 Like

Hey, does anyone have the condition “silent reflux” ? Or “acid reflux” it starts off at n progresses to silent reflux if not taken care of?

Somebody that I love has this n are struggling with finding fulfilling meals so hoping that I can get some recommendations n recipes to pass on :heartbeat: