Toys getting weaker?

Is it my imagination, or could some of my older (couple of years) recharagble toys be getting weaker as they age?

Maybe my newer ones are just stronger...

Yes. Just like your phone and other battery-powered products, they do get a bit weaker as they age. Though I've found it's more that the battery doesn't last as long between charges either.

It's a GREAT excuse to get a new toy (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!).

We need an electrics expert for this. Or Ian will probably do, as he seems to read up on these things...

But as far as I know (which isn't far), modern lithium batteries should not lose charge and deteiorate over time. When they're on the way out, they should just stop working. I'm sure I've read that somewhere.

A decade ago, rechargeable batteries weren't as good, and they often would lost capacity, for example if you frequently charged them when they weren't flat, etc.

So I would expect very old toys to deteriorate like this. But toys of the last few years should just conk out.

Can anyone confirm?

defam wrote:

We need an electrics expert for this. Or Ian will probably do, as he seems to read up on these things...

That sounds eerily similar to Mrs Chimp's wedding vows. 🙂

From my tentative understanding of these things I believe that rechargeable batteries give constant power until they're flat, whereas non-rechargeables wind down. So a rechargeable should always be as powerful no matter how much charge is left, but non-rechargeables will be less powerful as they deplete.

However, that's for batteries in good condition. I know Li-ion batteries can lose capacity (how long they'll last for) over time. And they can also stop being able to hold a charge too. I don't think they can get weaker though. But if the battery is knackered then maybe?

Thanks, folks. Sounds a bit like 'use it or lose it', so I'll have to carve out some more time to use my toys up before recharging them. Tough job, but needs must.

I like VR's advice - just buy more :-) Who could argue with that!

I've found that the rechargeable ones seem to lose power. We have a couple that just decide they've given up half way through although being fully charged

lovelylumps wrote:

I've found that the rechargeable ones seem to lose power. We have a couple that just decide they've given up half way through although being fully charged

It is more that they seem weaker, rather than cutting out. But it might be that newer toys are simply more powerful.

I have 3 main collections plus a few odds and ends (er... masses of stuff...) .... I try to use and recharge a collection each week but it doesn't always pan out that way, so maybe I'm not treating the batteries kindly enough.

@Ian Chimp: "Ian will probably do. That sounds eerily similar to Mrs Chimp's wedding vows. 🙂" Tee-hee! I doubt she regrets it for a minute.

But what is a Li-ion battery and which toys have it (popular ranges)?

Look what I found. :slightly_smiling_face: Sorry for the late reply. :bouquet:

An ‘Li-ion’ battery is ‘Lithium-ion’, and there’s a lithium ion polymer too (basically the same for our purposes). All the Mantric, Desire, LH ones are Li-ion, and the Womanizers, Lelo, Fun Factory… The only one I can think of that’s not lithium is the Tango, and that has an NiMH (nickel metal hydride). It gives it a slightly shorter stand-by/recommended charge cycle (2 months rather than 3), but otherwise is pretty similar. :+1:

1 Like

Don’t listen to that guy.

Personally I now think that batteries can get weaker as they get older. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have noticed this with rechargeable electric toothbrushes. Over a couple of years they get progressively weaker. So yes, toys will too.

1 Like

Lithium ones are supposed to be more consistent/durable, but I think everything degrades over time.

My last electric toothbrush was an NiMH, and you could tell when that needed charging as it would start to wind down towards the end like it was clockwork. My new one (about a year old) is Li-ion, and that only dips in power right at the last minute.