Trans Gender

Hi guys and gals. My best friend of 30 years revealed to me he is taking his first steps in becoming the woman he always felt he was. However he is a little nervous and has asked if anyone is willing to share their experiences to help prepare him for the coming months and years.
Tanks in advance.

5 Likes

No advice from me Iā€™m afraid, but congratulations to your friend on taking their first steps and I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible!

1 Like

Hi @Naomithea and welcome.

Cis bi guy speaking. Iā€™m just wondering why your friend is asking through you? Do they feel too nervous to open an account on the forum themself - or is it just that they arenā€™t a Lovehoney customer and you are? Iā€™m just saying this because they ought to know that theyā€™d be perfectly safe and anonymous here. Nobodyā€™s going to judge them. :heart:

3 Likes

ā€¦and hey: if your ā€˜friendā€™ is really you - itā€™s OK, yā€™know, for the same reason.

Though the advice will be similar either way, so donā€™t feel like you have to respond to that. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, @Naomithea - Iā€™m sorry if I came on too inquisitive there - just trying to be reassuring, and possibly achieved the exact opposite effect. My bad.

As well as asking advice on here, if your friend hasnā€™t already done so they might want to check out where their nearest Trans support group is. Asking advice online is fine as far as it goes, but nothing beats being able to meet up, make real-life friends and share experiences. To that end, they might find this link useful:

1 Like

Heā€™s not a lovehoney Customer and not great with computers either. Iā€™ve passed the link on tho and Iā€™ll try to help him use it. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Would start by recommending that if theyā€™re taking the first steps to finally seeing themselves as a woman, youā€™d probably want to start referring to them as she and not as he. Always difficult to get used to at first, especially after 30 years.

Not sure what advice I can offer given my partner is a trans man who transitioned as an early teenager rather than later in life. I donā€™t know how many experiences overlap there.

5 Likes

@Naomithea - another useful link for your friend. They might want to join up at lgbtchat.net Itā€™s a very welcoming forum with a good ethos - very much a ā€˜safe spaceā€™ - and has many, many trans members, including quite a lot of UK-based ones. I know this from personal experience. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh my goodness thank you never thought of that.

1 Like

Well the first thing Iā€™d like her to know is that there are many shades of trans and what I mean by that is everyones journey and transition is different. Medically and social it is different, For me personally iā€™ve been on hormones for 2 years. Iā€™ve seen a lot if changes in that time, a lot of good changes for the most part and iā€™m on what is a relatively low dose. Iā€™ve just taken too it you could say, my ex was also trans and on a higher dose but wasnā€™t have the same results. A friend was on 3x times the dose and was only just getting to the same place hormone level wise as me and seeing a lot of changes.

My point is results very a different places and times for different people so if you see a lot of this is where you should be at x amount of time donā€™t feel bad or think thats set in stone on the where. Socially again is different too, Iā€™ve heard people who strictly want to wait till they are 100% passing before presenting. In my case I was presenting for almost a decade before seeking hormones, which can be nerve racking at first. Like for the first year of presenting I never went to the bathroom alone always had a female friend or even my mom go with me.

There is a lot I could talk about on this subject but to make it not even longer the last thing Iā€™ll say is that surgery is not required for everyone. As I said everyones journey is different for some it is 100% a most for others itā€™s not possible because of the cost and for a very slim few like my self we donā€™t want it. For me hormones is enough, I donā€™t need any surgeries on my face or chest(though I wish my boobs would stop growing my mom insists iā€™m a f cup I say ddd either way back problems they can stop) and as for ā€œthe surgeryā€ aka bottom surgery aka reassignment or confirmation surgery I again donā€™t need or want. Iā€™m comfortable and happy with my body as is, so donā€™t feel pressured to follow a ā€œpathā€ of what to do but do whats right for you.

5 Likes

She has said she want reassignment surgery on her sexual organs but other than that sheā€™ll just let the hormones do the rest. Sheā€™s a little worried about facial hair. She saw a documentary where a someone had the change but still had to shave. I think tho by the end of the treatment itā€™s highly unlikely. But it takes time. I think sheā€™s very impatient for the change. She said sheā€™s felt like this for a long time. Im trying to support her as best I can.

3 Likes

Hormones donā€™t do a lot for facial hair, mine is minimal but I still have to shave every few days. Most trans women opt for hair remove treatments but not all do or feel the need. Where hormones do make the biggest difference with hair is body hair. Which hair removal treatments can be very pricey.

Even people born as a female have issues with facial hair. I have to epilate mine.

1 Like