Very peed off!!! IUD...

нинаnin wrote:

I thought I'd post this here because I had a recent experience with an IUD that may be worth sharing. I have had two in the past and my GP surgery always contacted me when it was time to change them. I did a bit of math in my head over Christmas and realised my IUD had expired! I went to my current (new) GP and was advised that they don't send reminders.

I know a lot of people put the change date in their diary anyway, but if you are one of the people like me that relies on GP reminders it might be worth noting that some surgeries may not offer this service (or offer it any longer).

Never had an IUD, but when I was on the implant they gave me a plastic card with the dates the thing was put in and when it's due to be taken out. It was the same size as a credit card that you could easily fit in your purse. Do they not give those out for IUD users, too? I didn't have issues forgetting my dates (mainly because I watched them like a hawk) but I'm sure a card like this or something similar would be helpful.

I have a mirena coil. As HunnyMonster29 says I was given a card with insertion date...renewal date...& the Dr that fitted it. I was told to make an appointment with my GP 3 months prior to renewal date for a referal for a replacement. I thought that this was given out as standard. Good that you've pointed this out for other users who also may not have been given this information.

Yep another here who was given the card with the batch number of the IUD and the date for replacement. 10 years is a long time though, think my chances of remembering it or finding the card are unlikely at best.

I can't tolerate the hormone in Mirena. It makes me feel very anxious and even suicidal if I use it long enough. That particular hormone formulation also makes me bleed constantly.

It took years of different Pill types and a cousin who also has the same problems but lives in the US so got sorted quicker as she found a good gynae.

I hope you have luck with it but if you have problems with it like spotting or constatnt bleeding after 3 months go back and try something else. My cousin bled constantly for 13 months before getting it removed. She ended up with severe anaemia and her marriage on the rocks with her mood changes. The bleeding and mood stopped the day after it was removed.

Hormones! You're either lucky or not. But I do wish the NHS would train staff to recognise that the minority do suffer really badly with some preparations.

As for health vistors (apologies if you're one and are great at your job), the one that my niece was assigned when she had her baby last year was awful. Her "advice" changed from visit to visit. I know that advice is updated but this one should be struck off. She caused a lot of stress and problems for my niece and wrote in her notes that she was a bad mother because she couldn't get to grips with breast feeding. My niece was terrorised by this woman - she'd just get into breast-feeding when alone then the HV would knock on the door without an appointment and start criticising her if there was washing up left or, in one instance, because my niece had left the hoover out. My niece was hoovering when she knocked the door - again without an appointment.

Rants over - hope you get on with Mirena but don't suffer in silence if you don't. Good luck.