Very peed off!!! IUD...

My health visitor told me about a drop in clinic I can visit between 6 and 8pm to have an IUD fitted. I have heard that you need to be on you period to have the procedure done but my health visitor assured me that it is not the case. Havin just finished my period last week I decided to get the coil fitted today. I just called the clinic to double check that I can have it done and she told me I need to be on day 1-5 of my period. So now I have to wait another month, which means another month I could get pregnant. I'm furious! If I had known I would have gone last week. Has anyone had the IUD? Would like to know if anyone has had one fitted without being on their cyle. Thanks

Lady.G

x

The reason's being

A. Proof that you are not pregnant

B. Easier to fit as the cervix is slightly more open

I know I am not pregnant as I have no had sex since my last period and I have already had a child so I know the procedure will be fairly easy to do. I am so angry that I now have to wait another month and there are no other contraception options I can take. Never listen to your health visitor!!!!!

I got the IUD fitted last March. I had been on the injection before hand so I did not have any periods. I found it a little painful but I have not had children and I wasn't on my period.

I have the Mirena not the copper IUD and I wasn't on my period when it was fitted, could you try your Drs as opposed to the clinic or a different clinic if there is one? Sounds like they're just being ultra cautious to me but if that's their rules, then the alternative to no sex for a month is to find somewhere else?

Oh hun.............I have never had the coil fitted but seriously the NHS are terrible. Iv been with my 5 month old son to the clinic today after being told to change his milk last week (at A n E), we've been all over looking for this brand and travelled like 15 miles on a wild goose chase! - to different supermarkets etc only to be told today when seeing health visitor that i can only get the milk on percription! b88p b88p b88p lol not a happy bunny!

Hope you get it sorted out soon id probs have a word with the HV before she tell's someone eles the same thing and they end up in the same sort of situation! nightmare xx

you do NOT have to be on your period, you can have it fitted anytime but if you are not on days 1-5 of your period then they strictly advise using condoms for the first 7 days! and you don't need to be on your period for the copper one either as it doesn't contain/control your hormones or periods. They are very stupid or misinformed or are just being plain awkard! what a load of bull!

x

I agree, it doens't matter where you are in your cycle so i would suggest making an appointment at your gp practice to have it done. Most will have a family planning nurse. Just check with them when you make an appointment if you need swabs done first. My practice insist on vaginal swabs before they fit them to make sure there's no potential infection going to be introduced into the womb. That caught me out the first time as i wasn't told! I've had one for 11 years now. Good luck.

Lady.Gasm.X wrote:

The reason's being

A. Proof that you are not pregnant

B. Easier to fit as the cervix is slightly more open

I know I am not pregnant as I have no had sex since my last period and I have already had a child so I know the procedure will be fairly easy to do. I am so angry that I now have to wait another month and there are no other contraception options I can take. Never listen to your health visitor!!!!!

My partner had hers fitted outside of her period. She said it hurt a bit. They definitely had no problems with doing the procedure though.

I just had it done! The doctor was in a good mood :)

Oh and OUCH!!

Lady.G

x

I just had it done! The doctor was in a good mood :)

Oh and OUCH!!

Lady.G

x

It didn't hurt as such, just uncomfortable.. the actual procedure took about 3 minutes! And I just gripped the bed and I was fine.. a stretch and sweep is worse than that. But she had to use a 'clip' to get mine in because my cervix is bendy apparently.. so it will have hurt me more than normal and I honestly didn't think it was bad at all!

x

I had mine fitted during surgery so obviously it didn't hurt me. I'll be terrified to have it taken out, scared it'll hurt!

SexyBumBully wrote:

I had mine fitted during surgery so obviously it didn't hurt me. I'll be terrified to have it taken out, scared it'll hurt

I never felt a thing when i had my 1st one removed. I know someone who removed there own :S That i wouldnt encourage and urge anyone to go to there gp for it.

And both i have had fitted have been while i had my period. Due to the women struggling to fit the measure thing in never mind anything else x

i have the minera and was not on my period when it was fitted...

Im only 18 and had my idu fitted in jan, i ended up spending two weeks in hospital cus of it, having and operation and everything, trust hun dont get it :D

I was advised not to as I have PCOS and get a lot of cystitus! Good Luck and hope it settles down ok.

i went to have an iud fitted, having to wait 6 weeks for an appointment. The nurse poked somewhere up there, causing alot of pain, proceeded to poke around up there and then tried another kind and after poking around for another 5 minutes told me that my cervix isnt big enough to have one fitted, id have to wait until i have a child naturally. which i cant do and she was fully aware of this! my OH came home to find me in the foetal position crying because i was having shooting pains where she'd jabbed me! im now on the injection :-)

hope you have more luck! xx

Mamanda wrote:

Hiya, Just wondering how you are getting on with the coil so far? any probs?

I have had a heavy bleed which I was convinced at first was not a period as it was two weeks early but I suppose it's just my body maybe sorting itself out. I have had extremely bad stomach pains and developed an infection in my womb. I'm all better now but having trouble finding the threads!

naughtywildfun90 wrote:

i went to have an iud fitted, having to wait 6 weeks for an appointment. The nurse poked somewhere up there, causing alot of pain, proceeded to poke around up there and then tried another kind and after poking around for another 5 minutes told me that my cervix isnt big enough to have one fitted, id have to wait until i have a child naturally. which i cant do and she was fully aware of this! my OH came home to find me in the foetal position crying because i was having shooting pains where she'd jabbed me! im now on the injection :-)

hope you have more luck! xx

That's terrible! Hope the injections works OK for you hun xx

![](upload://9xFhXP6neHrYtSJ6GTOlM10MIsf.gif)

I thought I'd post this here because I had a recent experience with an IUD that may be worth sharing. I have had two in the past and my GP surgery always contacted me when it was time to change them. I did a bit of math in my head over Christmas and realised my IUD had expired! I went to my current (new) GP and was advised that they don't send reminders.

I know a lot of people put the change date in their diary anyway, but if you are one of the people like me that relies on GP reminders it might be worth noting that some surgeries may not offer this service (or offer it any longer).

I might just be registered with a rogue surgery, but I wanted to give a heads up in case this is happening elsewhere.