Vibrator turn-off - advice appreciated!

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out. I recently got a lovely pink jelly vibrator, only, minor problem, it has this really strong chemically smell. Doesn't sound like much, but I find it a huge turn off and it's starting to make my bedside drawer rather nasty. I've tried gently cleaning it several times, but it's barely helped at all.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of this? Thanks,

mimi

Send it back, sounds dodgy.

Some materials sex toys are made from just smell horrible and will always smell horrible, unfortunately. I've thrown some toys away because of the smell alone. Some of them really, really stink, and sometimes it just isn't possible to know til they're out of the packaging. I think you might be out of luck in this instance.

I've said more than once that product descriptions for toys really need a section on smell, and reviews also should have a smell rating in addition to those for quietness, strength of vibrations and so on. I think that customers would be better served if there was more information on product smell. I feel cheated if I get a toy which stinks because I know I am going to have to throw it away. Toys are such intimate things, and for many of us, smell is integrally connected with erotic experiences. I think that smell is way too important a point to just omit from product descriptions, in my opinion. Yet it is routinely omitted, all the time.

There are certain materials (and in some cases. brands) which I avoid completely solely because of smell. Of the more flexible materials, rubber of any kind, and especially anything with "jelly" in the description is one material I always always avoid because I have found that it is especially likely to stink to high heaven. I don't even know what "jelly" is supposed to be. I suspect it isn't even a real material. I think "jelly" is more of a description of how the material behaves than what it is made of. I mean, a toy is hardly going to be made out of gelatine, right?

In my experience, Doc Johnson have more than the usual percentage of smelly toys, so I avoid that brand. On the other hand, Doc Johnson also make my favourite vibrator in the whole wide world (made from silicone), so that is one exception. :p But on the whole, my experience with Doc Johnson has been stinky, so except for that one vibrator, I don't buy their products.

Vinyl, PVC and silicone all smell fine to me, so of the flexible toy materials, I tend to stick with those. The only thing I can recommend is to stick with vinyl, PVC and silicone, and those toys should be stink-free.

I think you might find that you are going to have to throw your jelly vibrator away. In my opinion, throwing the stinky toy away sooner rather than later tends to eliminate a whole lot of unpleasantness waiting in vain for the smell to go away. If you try waiting it out, you may find that you wait too long and endure too much stink before finally giving up and throwing it away as you should have done much earlier. Even if the smell does go away (which I doubt it will), is it really worth the price of a new toy to have to deal with the smell for any longer than you have to?

This is one of my particular pet peeves and it keeps recurring. I'm sorry this particular vibrator didn't work out for you. I wish you luck with all your future ones.

Yep find myself agreeing with Lubyanka on this one Lovehoney, a pong rating l think would be a good idea. I have had one or two l kept in the wardrobe cos they had the smells mentioned. Even after wuzzing them the pong lingers, although interestingly it seems to keep the moths at bay !! There's maybe a cover story for when the in-laws find a Great American Challenge lying among your gear!!!

What do you think LH????

TB

Ah pity, but that is really great help, thank you especially to Lubyanka :) It's true, I haven't had any problems with various silicone products, it just seems to be whatever on earth this weird material might be! Alas, I think I will follow your advice. It's nice to know for future toys though, and perhaps if anyone was thinking of getting something vaguely described as 'jelly'?

We once bought a jelly vibe, it STUNK of whacky Baccy! It also irritated the missus. Shame cos it really was the perfect size & shape for unbelivable DP. She used to go mental with ecstacy using it. We have never found a worthwhile replacement. We had to get rid due to the smell, you could smell it down stairs!

hahahahaha

I kind of thought you guys were taking the mick with this thread,

I mean, yeah some toys do smell and it is a turn off, but how on earth can LH make a 'pong rating' they wont be able to smell every single one that comes in, and some people's sense of smell is a lot different to other peoples!

It's not really there fault is it? and I wouldn't want to have to do that job lol

xxxx

And some of you may agree that thing's smell different to each sex as well.So it could be very difficult .

Even if the LH product descriptions don't include a smell rating at the moment, I think that at least there could be maybe a few rating choices for when a person is submitting a review, something like

1. odourless
  2. unobtrusive smell
  3. obtrusive smell
  4. impossible stink

At least that way there would be one central place in the reviews which would include that information, like the way there's always pros and cons, and then a person could easily scan the reviews for that information if it was important to them.

And mimiaow, you're entirely welcome. :)

ToHonest wrote:

I mean, yeah some toys do smell and it is a turn off, but how on earth can LH make a 'pong rating' they wont be able to smell every single one that comes in, and some people's sense of smell is a lot different to other peoples!

It's not really there fault is it? and I wouldn't want to have to do that job lol

xxxx

Explain that job title to your Granny.

What do you do then dear?..... I'm dildo sniffer Grandma!

Still, better than working at the Inland Revenue!

If u do decide to scrap the stinker - don't forget rabbit amnesty x

If only they could flavour the smells - a chocolate or a stawberry dildo mmmmmm! Or a zesty lemon?!!

x