Waxing vs shaving

A post was merged into an existing topic: The Lounge

@Ian_Chimp What is IPL?

@Jaydee88 What hair removal cream do you use? I find what I have tried will work in some spots but not in others. Iā€™d love a recommendation.

Also, I was going to start a thread and ask people what kinds of hair removal cream they would recommend for a woman and what kind of razor they would recommend for a woman. Additionally, do you use a different kind of razor for the more sensitive nad hard to navigate spots, or do you use the same one for all of your intimate shaving?

@Ksag8602
A lazer

2 Likes

Those zappy laser things.

Iā€™ve just had a google and IPL stands for Intense Pulse Light, which is different to a laser treatment somehow. Iā€™m not sure. Hopefully someone else can explain the difference. :slightly_smiling_face:

(hopefully I donā€™t need to amend and reset the poll :crossed_fingers:)

That made me jump in my seat a little. Iā€™m picturing deathstar when I read that lol

I use the veet sensitive cream. Never had any problems.

Follow the instructions and donā€™t leave it on for too long

1 Like

Iā€™ve used both a hand held home lazer and a professional machine - they were both called IPL so maybe the IPL is just the way the hairs are zapped :thinking:

1 Like

I only ever wax. I hate how shaving feels. I tried to get laser hair removal but Iā€™m blonde and it just didnā€™t work out, sadly.

@Candace1 I didnā€™t realize hair color made a difference. Very interesting.

I now am getting laser hair removal but before that I would prefer getting waxes on my down regions as I found when I shaved that it would grow back within a day and that stubbly stage would be so painful and uncomfortable. I now shave in-between sessions but the hair is so much thinner so donā€™t get that same feeling. Due for my 4th session which got put on hold due to covid but exited to continue and start seeing lasting results.

@anon8189768

Thereā€™s thereā€™s a list of hair and skin types that you arenā€™t supposed to use it with.
Such as blonde, grey, ginger hair and dark skin tones.

So basically lazering works best on light skin with dark hairs.

Haha, before seeing this as I was scrolling through I thought ā€œthereā€™s no laser option!ā€.

They are different, yes. The main differences are in the light. Laser has a much more pointed light beam (like a laser light), which is made up of just one wavelength/colour of light, which travels right down to the bottom of the hair follicle. Whereas IPL light has a broader flash made up of a range of colours and doesnā€™t go so deep as it has a wider direction.

They both work the same in that the heat the hair follicle and disrupt the hair growing cycle, but essentially laser is more painful and more expensive but lasts longer and generally has better/quicker results than IPL. IPL is considered safer as the light is less concentrated (but obv impacts effectiveness), which is why at-home devices are IPL and generally salons use laser (although some do use IPL machines and try and advertise them as laser).

Not sure if any of that makes sense! Iā€™m currently mid laser with my 5th session due but obviously been put on hold due to the lock down. Iā€™ve pretty much tried everything in the past though - I preferred sugar wax to standard wax when getting it done professionally, but to be honest I found it too annoying having to ride out the re-growth before it was long enough for the next wax. Epilating/plucking is another one that is really effective but also really bloody painful. Iā€™m just shaving at the moment (not able to do anything else whilst getting the laser).

2 Likes

@Cupc8kes Wow. Who knew the target audience was so small. Guess the person who figures out how to help the other 5/6 of the population will get rich lol :money_mouth_face:

So I trim and shape slightly (cream seems best to avoid the regrowth stubble part) but around the balls I try and remove everything I have tried cream, tweezing and shaving. Cream burns even when on for half the recommended time.

I think @WillC has suggested sugar wax as a good option so I plan on trying that soon

I got my legs waxed for charity and was told not to trim as the wax canā€™t get a grip on the hair making it more painful and possibly having to repeat the same area, but I suppose each beautician will be different

Sorry, it wasnā€™t me that suggested it, iā€™m strictly a razor chap! :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve added a small note. Do you think thatā€™s sufficient, or are you going to make me reset the poll? :slightly_smiling_face:

I think the sugar wax tip is from @Oldman. :+1:

(Though heā€™s using Magic Shave Powder until his grandson moves out :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Shave.
But can never find a decent razor with doesnā€™t leave such a harsh rash.