Waxing

Hey guys.

Do any of you wax your intimate area?

I’m thinking of changing from shaving to waxing but I’m a little worried because Ive recently started getting ingrowing hairs A LOT… How to resolve this is don’t shave! I usually trim at the top and shave underneath.

What’s your experience? Is it as painful as expected? Do you get ingrowing hairs?

1 Like

My OH goes to the local salon, she has a couple of piankillers beforehand. No problems with ingrown hairs.

2 Likes

Yup I’m a hollywood wax fan. Also used to suffer from ingrown hairs but haven’t had any since
I started waxing.

2 Likes

I used to get mine waxed but then moved on to shaving with IPL after. It was definitely painful. I didn’t find that the smoothness lasted long enough to warrant going through that or the price - maybe smooth for like a week? Then you have to grow out for the next wax. It didn’t even get every hair, so when I got back home I’d pluck out the stragglers. Nah, not for me.

I also had a few monster ingrown hairs from waxing that I had to dig out. I still get ingrown hairs now and again with my current method, but nothing like the ones from the waxes :persevere:

2 Likes

I’ve had them get really infected that I’ve had to use a prescribed chlorhexidine wash along with antibiotics so I am worried but obviously not worried enough because I won’t stop shaving.
I have a lowered immune system which obviously doesn’t help.

1 Like

I used to get waxed about 5 years ago maybe even long. I did it regularly and it hurt but wasn’t bad, of course I have a high tolerance for pain like my tattoos I didn’t find any of them painful so high tolerance. Wear i’ve moved to is very rural and doesn’t have a wax place, think like one salon does it but I just shave at this point.

2 Likes

I don’t wax so can’t comment on that I’m afraid but in terms of ingrown hairs, I used to get a lot but started using a product called Tend Skin (blue bottle if you google it) after shaving and don’t get any now. It’s amazing stuff an I can’t recommend it highly enough.

3 Likes

I used to wax in salon band also using hard wax at home. However a few years ago I got myself a Philips lumea. It’s been life changing.
I am now practically hair free, the hair I do have is more like face fuzz than course pubic hair.
It did take me many more sessions than the 6 advertised but am so glad I persevered with it as now no more stubble or ingrown hairs.

2 Likes

Agree with @Mint-Monster there - I also found that the smoothness didn’t last long enough for my personal preference, and didn’t like having to wait until it was long enough to get it done again! However, a lot of my friends swear by it!

I have quite a high pain threshold I think and so didn’t find it too bad pain wise, but I think sugar waxing is even less painful so you may want to consider that!

I really struggle with ingrown hairs - they are such a bloody nightmare! I went through a phase of tweezing but this was incredibly time consuming and so I’m now having lazer (third session this month) - think it will be a long process before I’m done but I’ve heard excellent things :crossed_fingers:t2:

3 Likes

Never waxed but always shave. I use a good 5 blade razor and quality body shave gel and :crossed_fingers:never suffered from in growing hairs.

2 Likes

I got waxed once. Wasn’t painful but the lady struggled because my hair grows in many different directions, also add to that, my chubby mound and the chunky folds of skin. She became very embarrassed as she couldn’t work around my vulva.
I’m also fair haired so that didn’t help matters as it is stubborn to remove.

I gave up shaving as I hated the itchy regrowth and infected ingrown hairs. So painful.

These days I trim with a beard trimmer, though I’ve gone au natural since Feb as I just can’t be fussed. Took a while to get used to it, though.

1 Like

My husband liked being smooth downstairs but had to shave every few days to keep it that way. I’ve been getting waxed for ages and have friend that does it now, she mentioned she had a lot of male clients also so I got my hubby to give it a go. He’s been been getting it all waxed for over 3 years and only needs it done every couple of months now. He loves it and it doesn’t get rough and prickly anymore.

1 Like

@Purring-Pussy omg never thought of the direction of the hair. Mines the same. I was talking to my friend and said she might rip a lip off in the process :joy: I have the dreaded fat fanny syndrome.

I shave and don’t have any problems but my OH uses an epilator which is less painful than wax and you do not get ingrowing hairs.

1 Like

I’m not sure about epilating hurting less, I epilate my legs and would say it hurts the same as wax and it takes longer to do - it also give me shallow ingrown hairs. I guess everyone is different!

1 Like

@Cassii 1000% agree!! Epilating hurts way more than waxing and gave me god awful ingrown hairs.

2 Likes

I totally agree on epilating. It f hurts!!! My friend does her bikini line and I can’t get near it. I think I’d prefer waxing it’s quick lol

2 Likes

I consider epilators to be a kind of torture device :scream:

4 Likes

I do my chin hair, armpits and used to do my legs. It really isn’t pleasant

1 Like

I just trim, now. I’ve tried waxing and shaving and I still get ingrown hairs - also, I think I have some nerve damage around my caesarean scar because doing anything to the hair growing on that really hurts - the skin feels really thin. Luckily I’m not very hairy, so I can just trim away anything which pokes out of underwear.

2 Likes