Weight Management

Hello my lovely honies,

Was just wondering if anybody has done weight management with the NHS?

My Nurse practitioner had arranged a referal (had no idea that she had done, I just got a call from the WM team out of the blue).

I'm well aware that I'm ridiculously obese, so I was curious as to what happens. I already know what I should and shouldn't be eating, but what other stuff will they do? How can they help with me losing weight? I seriously lack motivation and I comfort eat. Just feel like I'm too set in my own ways and too stuborn to want help, but I know obesiety and it's related problems, costs the NHS millions.

Guess I'll have to put my big girl panties on and face up to the reality.

PP, I am not in the UK so I have no idea. But I am a comfort eater as well... I have worked hard to come up with other activities to fill that "void" when Im sad, lonely, and bored is the worst. I wish you all the best in however you address this, but I wish you all the best in however you address what you can. Small changes can really make a difference.

There is an NHS choices forum for weight loss with a 12 week plan so I would guess it would be linked to that?

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/weight-loss-guide/Pages/weight-loss-guide.aspx

I know what you mean though, I'm the biggest I've ever been but feel so bloody helpless with it, the bigger I get the worse I feel and the worse I eat.

Good luck PP if you want to buddy up with it just say and I'll sort a way to contact each other (probably twitter) x

I'm a medical secretary in a GP surgery and we are allowed to refer patients to Weight Watchers or Slimming World, which doesn't cost the patient anything. They may ask you to complete a food diary to see exactly what type of foods you eat and how much and also look for any "triggers" that might make you reach for food.

I am overweight too, don't comfort eat but eat when I'm bored, which is most of the time as I live on my own. I am determined to do something about it in the New Year 😃

PP, I am not in the UK so I have no idea. But I am a comfort eater as well... I have worked hard to come up with other activities to fill that "void" when Im sad, lonely, and bored is the worst. I wish you all the best in however you address this, but I wish you all the best in however you address what you can. Small changes can really make a difference.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I forget that not everyone on here is in the UK, how rude of me.

It's boredom that makes me comfort eat, or when I'm upset and fed up of my ill health. I don't get out as often as I used to, due to my mobility and chronic fatigue.

Only exercise I can do is hydrotherapy and even then I have to have breaks during the lesson, as it makes my fibro flare up, leaving me with burning muscles and limbs that feel like 10 tonne lead.

Scorps suggested a nutri bullet and my fella is gonna buy me one, so at least I can start with more fruit and veg in my diet.

poppycat wrote:

There is an NHS choices forum for weight loss with a 12 week plan so I would guess it would be linked to that?

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/weight-loss-guide/Pages/weight-loss-guide.aspx

I know what you mean though, I'm the biggest I've ever been but feel so bloody helpless with it, the bigger I get the worse I feel and the worse I eat.

Good luck PP if you want to buddy up with it just say and I'll sort a way to contact each other (probably twitter) x

Awesome, thanks for that info. My twatter addy is on my profile if we're not already friends on there.

I'll take a look at the forum. It's always better when you have support in something like this xx

Im was under the weight management team for the other end of the scale(massively underweight) they are the same health professionals usually, you will be asked to complete a HONEST which believe me is hard to admit and come to terms with your own food habits and then they ask you what you like n dislike and come up with a realistic food and excerise plan. Least I hope this is what they will do for you, ive been to see them so many times, please don't hesitate to attend their appointment they are usually very nice understand peoplee. Do it for your health.

schmalto33 wrote:

I'm a medical secretary in a GP surgery and we are allowed to refer patients to Weight Watchers or Slimming World, which doesn't cost the patient anything. They may ask you to complete a food diary to see exactly what type of foods you eat and how much and also look for any "triggers" that might make you reach for food.

I am overweight too, don't comfort eat but eat when I'm bored, which is most of the time as I live on my own. I am determined to do something about it in the New Year 😃

Yea we have a free 12 weeks with slimming world. Huge issue there, is I can't cook (physically). I cannot stand for any length of time, I can't prepare food at my kitchen worktops, as when on a perching stool, it's impossible to get close enough to the worktop, unless I took the cupboards out.

I live off ready made meals, processed food and the occasional meal my carer makes.

I wish you all the luck for the New Year xxx

Not rude at all PP, I just wanted to try to help even thought I did not know specifics of the program over there.

You mentioned mobility issues, I have no idea how you manage all your health issues hon but I want to try to encourage you.

One area I have tried to focus on that has really helped is cutting back on diet sodas and aspertane. Even just drinking more water can make a difference. For me it has helped with my mood and energy. I had a few headaches when i cut back but got through it in a few days.

If you hate plain water... and I do ... I have been drinking the sparkling water or adding a bit of lime or lemon and try to keep a glass with me through out the day.

sassykitten;) wrote:

Im was under the weight management team for the other end of the scale(massively underweight) they are the same health professionals usually, you will be asked to complete a HONEST which believe me is hard to admit and come to terms with your own food habits and then they ask you what you like n dislike and come up with a realistic food and excerise plan. Least I hope this is what they will do for you, ive been to see them so many times, please don't hesitate to attend their appointment they are usually very nice understand peoplee. Do it for your health.

I used to be underweight, I looked awful looking back on old pics. Even at full term pregnancy I was only 9 stone. Then one year, I rapidly put 10 stone on. Then added another stone with comfort eating, then managed to lose that, but still got all this weight to shift.

Just dreading to do food diaries, it's awfully embarrasing, but hopefully I'm going to start to eat a little better with the help of a nutri bullet.

Vanessa, I live off bottled water! I don't like hot drinks (once in a blue moon I may have a hot chocolate), i like fresh fruit juice and will have an occasional fizzy drink, but water is my main drink, I ![](upload://4WyQT1gwKaQJNwhYxrKZ1rOPglF.gif) it!

With my mobility, I use an electric scooter (beep, beep) ![](upload://l9s9e23YKLHpoOzgGVeUkhZGcEr.gif) I don't get out often, just occasional trips to swingers clubs and dungeons.

Without knowing your medical history could you not do swimming??

I understand mobility is a isssue but ready meals no matter which you buy are very bad some may claim to be healther than other are actually just as bad for you in other ways.

Cooking can be made easy with next to no mobility if you come up with quite good ways of doing it. Place a chair near a work surface this way you can prepare veg etc slow cooker are cheap and brillant, cheap and health food doesnt need to be a hassle. ?.

sassykitten;) wrote:

Without knowing your medical history could you not do swimming??

+1 swimming is very low impact on the joints i have issues with my mobility and joints and my doctor recommended it to me for exercise

I understand how bad it can be trying to prep food when you can't stand for long periods of time it's too easy to reach for ready meals and oven food, if you want to make meals from scratch you can do lots with a food processor to do all the chopping and a slowcooker

Yes swimming is an option, only if it is a walk in pool. I can't use the steps to get in and out and no way will I face the humiliation of using a disabled crane thing. Paranoid people will stop and stare at the "fat lazy woman!"

I have a stool to sit at the kitchen worktop, but it just doesn't work, can't get close enough, I'd need a gap underneath for my legs, like removing the washing machine.

I have a slow cooker and love it. My carer just chuck the food in and then I can dish it out once cooked.![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

Purring-Pussy wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I forget that not everyone on here is in the UK, how rude of me.

It's boredom that makes me comfort eat, or when I'm upset and fed up of my ill health. I don't get out as often as I used to, due to my mobility and chronic fatigue.

Only exercise I can do is hydrotherapy and even then I have to have breaks during the lesson, as it makes my fibro flare up, leaving me with burning muscles and limbs that feel like 10 tonne lead.

Scorps suggested a nutri bullet and my fella is gonna buy me one, so at least I can start with more fruit and veg in my diet.

You've got fibro??? Me too! 28 yrs for me kitten. I was overweight up until a year past May ago! I was a couch potato and did nothing but eat and feel like crap all the time and very anti social. This one day my OH had a friend turn up here before we were all going out, I was mortified at just how shit I looked. So I made my mind up that day that I would dump the cigarettes and lose my hideous fat that loved my body too much. I did, I just decided my condition wasn't going to ride my ass any longer and that fags would be a thing of the past.

I've never looked back and I dumped the daily meds that were helping me with pain. So 3 stone lighter, I smell really good, my lungs are good and I'm fitter than I've ever been in my life. It's mind set for me. I decided I wanted me back and although I do have flare ups and the cold hurts me I'm still in a better place now! I cut out all crap "all". I'll have a small treat every now and then but that's it! You can do it !

I was just about to suggest a slow cooker, there are loads of blogs and Facebook groups dedicated to slimming world and weightwatchers slow cooker recipes. Could you get a large tray to use as a chopping board so you could sit comfortably with it on your knee or sit at the kitchen table?
I haven't done the NHS slimming thing but have been to both we and slimming world. I found we simpler if you want/need to eat ready prepared food.
Good luck xx

I used to do slimming world and then switched to WW. If you can't cook, WW I find is easier because there is more variety of what you can eat that is premade. They do some amazing ready meals and I know of alot of people that simply live off them. I lost 2 stone last year, kept it off up until June and have but it all bar 4lbs back on. After a trip to the docs and being sent for a blood test to see if I'm diabetic, I'm terrified, and have since heavily reduced sugar intake, cut all the "no added sugar" out, no artifical sweetner and already 3 days in I can't tell you the difference it has made.

I'm less bloated, my vision has improved in one eye (it was never perfect but it got quite bad), I'm going longer between meals and I'm not cravying anything sweet. Looking at these symptoms it's actually something called aspartame poisoning and it's really quite frightening the damage it does on your body, as it's an artifical product the body cannot break it down and can be dumped literally anywhere within your body. One thing that annoyed me with SW was with them, you can eat an unlimited amount of muller light yoghurts (within reason) and it can be "free" but have one tablespoon of flour and it is very high in syns, and your day is ruined. I don't understand it. I actually feel better on my few days of sugar free/sweetner free than I ever did when I was 2 stone lighter filling my face with anything that was "free on SW"

It's not easy, but the benefits of having far more energy outweight the negatives. You CAN do it. It's hard but you'll feel so much better on the inside as well as looking good on the outside too! I really urge anyone to think again about doing meal replacment diets; shakes, juices (rammed full of sugar, will not fill you up, I could go on), special K diets. It is really just down to eating right, healthily, cutting the crap, and trying to move more if you can. People want to be losing 10lb a week which is all well and good, but you aren't fuelling your body properly, and will pile it back on the minute you stop living off 2 shakes a day + 1 main meal.

Gonna stop my rant, but really happy to help with anything like this. You CAN do this, one lb at a time. Ask to be refered to SW/WW for free, and just sit in a meeting and see what it's all about before you decide to go ahead with anything, or even try both for a couple of weeks and see which you prefer.

Hope this helps hun! And hats off to you for wanting to do something and help yourself, too! That really is half the battle :) xx

You've got fibro??? Me too! 28 yrs for me kitten. I was overweight up until a year past May ago! I was a couch potato and did nothing but eat and feel like crap all the time and very anti social. This one day my OH had a friend turn up here before we were all going out, I was mortified at just how shit I looked. So I made my mind up that day that I would dump the cigarettes and lose my hideous fat that loved my body too much. I did, I just decided my condition wasn't going to ride my ass any longer and that fags would be a thing of the past.

I've never looked back and I dumped the daily meds that were helping me with pain. So 3 stone lighter, I smell really good, my lungs are good and I'm fitter than I've ever been in my life. It's mind set for me. I decided I wanted me back and although I do have flare ups and the cold hurts me I'm still in a better place now! I cut out all crap "all". I'll have a small treat every now and then but that's it! You can do it !

Congratulations ozz :)

sassykitten;) wrote:

Congratulations ozz :)

How sweet! Thank you, that really does mean a lot xx

I too have had serious bout of bad health forcing me into a wheelchair for 2 1/2 years. I had next to no mobility, my state of mind n will power had a massive impact on my health, I went through a bout of depression n my strong drugs didn't help other than managed my pain, but I decided to go make a change n go swimming n back riding... some if only 5 mins of excerise can have a massive impact of what u think you can do mentally n physically x