What's acceptable in public (lycra)

Hey all. This my first post and I wanted to seek general opinion.

I'm a bi male, married and love being outdoors hiking, running, biking etc. I've always had a fascination with wearing lycra and do so almost every day. Especially one-piece items like unitards and catsuits.

I particularly enjoy wearin gvery revealing garments and have in the last year, started wearing a cock ring while running/gym etc in my lycra which I bought from Lovehoney. It really accentuates things.

Opinions from men and women...Am I disgusting and should I keep this to the privacy of my own home, or do you like that someone is being daring in public like this?

It`s fine being daring, but society looks very differently on men wearing revealing clothing in public places than women, so you may want to be careful you don`t get the police called if your penis outline is prominient, especially if wearing toys that may accentuate it.

1 Like

This is a line I walk along a fair bit. I like stuff being releaving or naughty, but equally, I don't want my bits thrust at people who don't want to see them.

For example, if children might be present I am a lot lot more careful than an adults only gathering in a pub. Think about your audience etc.

And yes, Will is so right. Male genitalia is viewed differently from female, so you have to be very careful.

Could be viewed as "Not really appropriate " If children around , it's funny, women can go topless on holiday and barely anyone notices, guy has small shorts and is asked to cover up?

I'm old enough to remember regularly being targeted by older men "flashing" (even in Woolworths at the Pick 'n' Mix!) so quite honestly I don't like to see men in revealing outfits like this as it gives me literal flashbacks of unwanted sights and groping.

I agree with the others when they say that revealing outfits aren't really appropriate for men to wear in public. I love to see my partner naked and also in the very revealing Male Power Pouchless Open Front briefs that Lovehoney sells but I'd hate to see him wearing revealing outfits in public.

Most women (and men) that I know either don't want to see naked men or men in revealing outfits unless the man is our sexual partner or part of a male stripper act. Interestingly, I've been to quite a few of these acts over the decades and every single woman I've spoken to has viewed it as a laugh and seen the male bodies and their act - even those in very fine form - as comedic. None found them sexy. I only asked as I consider myself to have had a very high sex drive but never found male strippers sexy. I wondered if my early "flasher" experiences had thrown my "off switch" on seeing exposed males apart from my sexual partners, but it seems not.

Anyway, my rambling thoughts on this, and the others' answers would seem that it's not daring, just inapprorpriate. What does your wife say? Have you asked her honest opinion?

Quiet - thoughout history women have been encouraged by men to wear revealing outfits for mens' sexual pleasure (unless you were the man's wife, then only in private!), so it's understandable how this has transferred to modern fashion - even to the point of being fashionably "undressed" on the beach. Women haven't managed (wanted?) to attain equality in this - yet.

1 Like

I've always thought of it as frowned upon and never felt comfortable wearing clothing that's too revealing in public. When cycling/jogging I wear shorts over my running tights. I've heard people moan about being able to see outlines, don't think I've ever heard anyone say they've gone to watch a race to see outlines so I guess that's why I've assumed it to be socially unacceptable.

I wear Lycra running tights, speedos and cycling shorts, but I don’t do it for a turn on, I wear them coz it’s practical and comfortable for me, and I don’t really care what others think. But if it turned me on or I was doing it for sexual gratification, I would personally keep it private, as I don’t think that’s fair to impose on others. Maybe if it’s something you like doing in public, is there clubs or meet ups that cater for Lycra fetishes? As to your question, are you disgusting? Then 100% no, of course not, we all have our different turn ons and fantasies, it’s just about keeping it safe for all involved.

I'm a very open minded individual but I'm a minority in society. So my suggestion is wear what you like but don't put it too much in people's faces in public. So if the cock ring is obvious under your Lycra for the gym, maybe a pair of loose shorts over the top?

Janes wrote:

I wear Lycra running tights, speedos and cycling shorts, but I don’t do it for a turn on, I wear them coz it’s practical and comfortable for me, and I don’t really care what others think. But if it turned me on or I was doing it for sexual gratification, I would personally keep it private, as I don’t think that’s fair to impose on others. Maybe if it’s something you like doing in public, is there clubs or meet ups that cater for Lycra fetishes? As to your question, are you disgusting? Then 100% no, of course not, we all have our different turn ons and fantasies, it’s just about keeping it safe for all involved.

KinkyMira2 wrote:

This is a line I walk along a fair bit. I like stuff being releaving or naughty, but equally, I don't want my bits thrust at people who don't want to see them.

For example, if children might be present I am a lot lot more careful than an adults only gathering in a pub. Think about your audience etc.

And yes, Will is so right. Male genitalia is viewed differently from female, so you have to be very careful.

I think Janes & KinkyMira2 are both right, it's about the stting and the people around and respecting that as others may not be as open minded.

My husband usually wears thongs as his underwear but will normally wear shorts if he knows he is going to be getting undressed, like at the gym and he wouldn't wear something like this on the beach or anything.

He has Prince Albert ring that is quite visible in tighter underwear and swimwear so again will wear appropriate clothing to hide this, like looser shorts, if others are around.

Nobody goes to the gym to see your penis on prominent display, much less with a sex aid attached to it.

This is particuarly inappropriate at a unisex gym, which should be non-sexual and non-threatening, but where women/girls are often made to feel uncomfortable. (For example, I've been in a gym where a women had to ask a big muscleman to stop staring at her the whole time she was working out. More power to her, but it shouldn't have been necessary.)

It's very unlikely anyone would approach you and say "hey, I don't want to see your cockring when I'm exercising". They would probably just feel uncomfortable in that space, and perhaps not come back.

1 Like

I've been running in Lycra since the early 80s, The compression helps protect my muscles from pulls and tears and the material keeps my legs nice and warm. However, while this may be the 'de facto' look for female athletes and joggers moving into the current century, I do and have always thrown a pair of tracky bottoms over the top. However cute I think my bum may be, I am fully aware the NO ONE wants to see it gliding past them on the average summer evening.

Winding back a couple of years earlier to 70s disco - that's a whole other spandex story, but Dude, we aren't in the 1970's - seriously, do everyone a favour and cover up

As many have said before, it is not an issue of 'covering up' but whether you are trying to sexualise an environment where others are just trying to exercise.

Of course as this was your only post on the day you registered who knows what your intentions really are/were.

1 Like

Try a dance support that male ballet dancers wear for hours on end, yet keeps them ‘decent’.

Your sexual gratification doesn’t outrank someone else’s right to feel comfortable/not threatened in a public setting (or anywhere to be honest!). Many women (and men) have varying levels of PTSD from unwanted sexual encounters in their past and it’s not cool if your desire to draw attention to your genitalia triggers their trauma. Personally I have no such trauma and I still wouldn’t be impressed if I saw that in a gym. Especially if I could see the outline of a cockring, I think it’s only a couple of steps away from actually getting it out. I wouldn’t think it was disgusting, I’d just feel sorry for the person who needed that kind of attention/thought it was appropriate and, in all honesty, I’d look at getting them chucked out. Sorry.

I either wear mountain bike shorts over my lycra when cycling or carry a pair with me to put over the lycra in case I have to get off the bike, like visiting a cafe. It’s only when I’m competing in multi sports events that I’ll forego the mountain bike shorts over the top.

Innocent members of the public don’t deserve to be subjected to me wearing lycra!

I wear lycra cycling clothing every Sunday, yeah it’s revealing but I don’t care. If people are disgusted / jealous of what they see, they shouldn’t be looking. OH finds it a turn on when I get back, the bumps in certain areas, but there’s no room for hard-ons lol.