Winter cold rememdies

I've been strungling with bronchitis for over two weeks now and it developed into mild pneumonia... I still don't understand the difference between the two, other than they both feel bad!

I was wondering what home remembies you use when you're ill?

My number one rememby is orgasms, and whilst holding a sex toy is feeling darn tiring right now, I'm rather lucky that I have the option of either high powered wands, or the use of a thrusting sex machine. Yay - being lazy is awesome.

Other than that, I've basically eaten every type of new and interesting christmas chocolate, and lived off of drinking herbal teas. I have put on a dress size, which I know I'll loose when better.

But I'm getting bored of bed rest and chocolate now, and wondered what you guys do when unwell? Do you have any magic tricks which not only help you recover, bvut also make it bearable?

bronchitis is inflamation of the airways in the lung pneumonia is inflamation of the air sacs in the lung.(I was a biology nerd)

I just leave the windows open in the bedroom and take walks in the cold air, motorcyclists rarely catch a cold lol not a cure but prevention

aww, poor thing. No magic here, sweet tea, steam bowl, bed rest and drugs are my normal effort. Feel better soon.

An ex-housemate from way back had problems with both of those. She drank a lot of Earl Grey tea. When I looked it up, we found that Earl Grey has bergamot which was somehow good for breathing. I don't remember details, but it might be worth a try - even if it's just a nice change.

Hot honey and lemon is supposed to be good. I often put some blackcurrant with it when I do it. Or there are the medicinal powdered drinks you can get from Tesco and perhaps other supermarkets, which have a similar effect.

Hot toddy helps too. And I swear a drop of neat scotch eases a sore throat. Fruit juices are supposed to be good as well. I also recommend Soothers throat sweets or similar.

Lovehoney - Hella wrote:

Red wine and lots of vegetable casserole with cumin and tomatoes. My ex swears by crushing and swallowing cloves of garlic, but I found that to be nothing but unpleasant. Yeurch!!!!

Ok, had aone of those massive yorkshire puddings filled with a spicey veg stew and red wine on the side - so far best thing I've eatten over the past few weeks ^_^

I'm also glad to see that red wine is still a possible cure, even after 100s of years ;-)

I'll try and drink more Earl Grey tea.

AA in regards to chocolate, I'm so bored of eating it now, I won't be touching it for awhile :-) So that should hopefully help.

I guess I should try and have a hot toddy before bed too ^_^

I agree with gunther - windows open in the bedroom (ours are open all year round) and hold off the central heating as much as possible. I had my first cold in two years about a month ago, was a bit shocked :) Excercise always helps for me, even when feeling crap - including hangovers - but this perhaps is a bad idea when your troubles are properly in the lungs.

should point out that bronchitis pneumonia influenza and the common cold are all different

Lots of rest, chicken soup and warm vimto....my mum's food for sick kids lol

Funny how when I am ill it is all I want.

Chicken soup, hot water bottles and avoiding getting a chill too much - scarfs are great.

Biggest tip is though stay fit and healthy to try and avoid if possible - I take vitamins and go to the gym 3 times a week and touch wood 8 weeks in and no cold yet.

Lovehoney - Hella wrote:

Red wine and lots of vegetable casserole with cumin and tomatoes. My ex swears by crushing and swallowing cloves of garlic, but I found that to be nothing but unpleasant. Yeurch!!!!

Sounds perfect even if you are not ill Hella.

Best wishes Nymph, sounds nasty. Get well soon x

german bar owner here always swears by chicken soup

Chicken soup and vicks rubbed on a 'cuddle cloth' - my mum did this for us when we little. You get a little soft muslim cloth (you know, like for mopping up baby spills) and rub vicks into it. Use it as a snuggle blankin and carry it around with you all day, breathing it in frequently. Nothing is worse than having vicks rubbed under your nose and then sweating it off all day/spending an hour in the shower trying to wash it off. I take mine to bed too overnight and avoid sleeping on my back as this compresses the chest and prevents mucus from coming out. (Sorry for TMI!)

Get well soon Nymph, let us know when you improve and which remedy is the best so we can use it too! :D x