41 and pregnant

Me and my husband have recently been shocked and found out I am pregnant at 17 weeks we were completely unaware as I am not showing didn’t really have any of the usual symptoms.

Anyway this will be our 5th and long story short my 2 eldest are embarrassed that I am ‘older’ and pregnant. One won’t even talk to me at the minute just curious has anybody else had the same or similar situation?

1 Like

Hi @Rebecca and welcome to the forum :blush:

Congratulations on your news! I’m sorry your eldest are finding it difficult, hopefully they’ll come around once any shock has worn off.

Having not been in a situation like yours, I’m unable to give any advice but I imagine there are forum members more able to do so :two_hearts:

1 Like

That’s great news!

My wife was pregnant in her 40s and all was going well until the very end of the first trimester. Anyway, that’s another story.

Take seriously good care of yourself and tell your husband he must indulge your every craving. My wife went mad for roast chicken.

Not sure how old your other children are, but i wouldn’t worry about their embarrassment, they need to accept that 41 is still young and be happy for you and that they are going to be “big” siblings!

1 Like

Hi @Rebecca Congratulations on your news. I’m sure your children will come round soon. I am like @MsSubExperimenter and cannot give any advice as no children myself but at 41 you are certainly not old. In fact the young children will keep you young I believe. I hope the pregnancy goes well and 2024 is a great year for you.

1 Like

Nutrition and prenatal care are key . My mother had me at 44 . My daughter in law was 41 when she had our youngest grandson . I would recommend not walking any powerful dogs . Daughter in law had her youngest three weeks early after taking their American pit bull for a walk and the dog saw a squirrel , she went down on her butt hard . When I was an emergency medical technician , I helped deliver several babies where the moms were over 40 . The oldest was 47 and was new in our country and had zero prenatal care . Oh and she spoke no English , so it presented some challenges . She had one of the easiest deliveries I had witnessed . I am guessing teen or pre teens ? These days you must remember it is all about them , lets hope they learn to chill out and be happy . Good luck !

Hi @Rebecca, welcome to the forum and congratulations.

41 isn’t nearly as “old” as it was 50 years ago. If you’re happy and comfortable, and can afford another bambino in today’s world, then more power to you. Who cares what other people think.

20 and 18 it’s pathetic from them imo as bad as that might sound. I think they will come round eventually it’s upsetting but I’m sure they will get over it and be happy in the end.

4 Likes

@Rebecca
Hello Rebecca,

I’m going through a similar situation with my mother. I genuinely love her, and her well-being has always been a priority for me. I warmly welcomed her partner, who joined our home just a few months ago, but the news of her pregnancy at this age was truly unexpected, especially after so many years as an only child.

I understand it might seem strange, perhaps even pathetic, considering my age, but I’m grappling with an emotional block. I know this should be a moment of joy for my mother’s new chapter, and I sincerely worry about her well-being and health, especially considering the risks of a pregnancy at a more advanced age.

It’s plausible that your children, much like me, are significantly influenced by the external perception of their mother’s sexuality during pregnancy and the societal representations linking sexuality to the physical aspects of pregnancy, such as the baby bump.

My mother is quite strict on this matter, and she has made it clear that I have nine months to adapt to this new family dynamic, or I might be compelled to leave the house. It’s a situation that requires time to process, and I hope you can understand the complexity of the emotions we are facing right now.

With respect, I extend my sincerest wishes to you.

The awareness that even one’s own parents have a sexual life is often challenging to confront, and the embarrassment further intensifies externally with friends.

1 Like

Congratulations, my step kids were a little huffed when their dad’s new wife was pregnant and he was 45.
Long story short they love their little sister, it took a couple of months but I’m sure they’ll love the little one.

1 Like

Hi love, first of all congrats! Second of all your family will come around. They may be shocked now and are likely trying to process it, it’ll be resolved I’m sure, but most importantly make sure to look after yourself! Focus on yourself and your new addition :white_heart:

2 Likes

Why should it be challenging to confront? How do you think you came into existence?

If you are embarrassed about it when with your friends, get different friends.

3 Likes

Congratulations on your news! Your children are adults and its a great reminder for them that you’re a woman and not just a mum. They should be so lucky to have your sex life when they’re 41.

2 Likes

To think that you would value the opinions of others over your mum, I feel for her. Do better.

2 Likes

It’s a challenging situation. My wife of ten years had a baby with me only a year or so into our relationship. Frankly it changed everything for everyone including the older kids and the younger ones. The fear is natural and justified. But rationalising it, normalising it and not allowing emotional blackmail is all I can offer.

It’s highly probable it will change the older kids life’s and the attention they receive wil be less. Even harder if they are the Apple of mummy’s eye or lack independance and rely on mum to function

Certainly, you’re right. I have always respected and considered my mother’s feelings.