A little off topic

So this is mainly for the men out there but any help would be great so me and the Mrs are happily married and have 5 children! Yes we’ve got a T.V haha.. we are very sexually actively and always make time for it but are both now well and truly done with having children, but at the minute using only condoms as contraception we are married and we both didn’t really expect to be using condoms especially when married and also might be just me but it sort of changes everything not being able to finish inside without sounding to vulgar, anyway we’ve checked and tried all our options so the next thing is for me to get the snip! :\ I was wondering how everyone else has found having it? How long does it take to work as been told around 12 weeks and also does it change it has anyone’s sex drive changed since having it? I know it’s way off topic but just need a little help! Thank you

Following with interest. We also use condoms . Early 40s and a recent pregnancy scare has led us to think about a permanent fix too.

I had my vasectomy after our second child.

The operation itself was quick and painless.

It works from Day 1 if done correctly as they remove a section of the tubing so no sperm can be ejaculated.

In my case there was no residual soreness and I was up and running sexually the next day.

Happily sterilised female with no children, here :D

I've done my fair share of research on female sterilisation but not so much male, I'm afraid. From what I've heard, it goes by 8-12 weeks or X amount of ejaculations until you can get tested to see if you are "seedless" yet. However, I've heard some doctors will turn away men who claim to have reached the right amount of ejaculations but way under the 12 week mark just to make sure. I wouldn't risk unprotected sex in this period as this is why most vasectomies "fail".

I haven't heard it effect a man's sex drive or sexual pleasure (unless it's gone wrong) in a negative way. Some claim sex was better as they no longer had to worry about unwanted pregnancies.

Thanks rockstar and hunnymonster29 I’ve heard so many horror stories in terms of having a vasectomy and obviously there will be some that have gone wrong my wife is desperate to be sterilised but we’ve been told it’s not as affective as a male having a vasectomy not sure if it’s true but also been told that it takes up to 12 weeks to work and My personally would use condoms til were 100% sure, as all I need to do is bloody look at her and she’s up the duff haha, am I right in saying you have to go back and have a sperm test to see if it’s worked? I want it doing because one it’s easier and quicker, less recovery time and also it’s not quite as big as an op so I’m told, Hunnymonster29 how long did it take for you to recover from being sterilised? And have you found any changes when it comes to (the time of the month) sorry if it’s to personal are they more frequent or non at all? Thanks, sorry again if it’s to full on

rockstar wrote:

I had my vasectomy after our second child.

The operation itself was quick and painless.

It works from Day 1 if done correctly as they remove a section of the tubing so no sperm can be ejaculated.

In my case there was no residual soreness and I was up and running sexually the next day.

Can I ask how long ago you had the snip? My husband had it done one year ago and the procedure sounds different.

I'm not a man but husband said it was fairly harmless. They cauturize one way and make a little incision the other way. Sort of like a cross. In and out in 20minutes, 2days of wearing tight pants and playing fifa and fairly back to normal. Well that was his experience on it at least. He did use Arnica cream so relatively low bruising and pain. He didnt have to go back after but, you have to ejaculate 50times and then lucky number 51 goes off in the post to be tested. They then send you a letter to confirm if you are sperm free. Husband even got a certificate which made us chuckle

Like I say not a man, but hopefully the experience helps anyway. I have to say from a female point of view, its vastly improved our sex life. We hated condoms and the pulling out method.

@Cal95 - It's true that a vasectomy is more effective than a tubal but it does depend on the method. I believe a vasectomy has a 1/2000 failure rate and a basic tubal (with filshie clips) is 1/300. That 1/300 failure rate was about the same as my implant that I had for over 10 years and I never got pregnant. I actually wanted to get both of my tubes removed to make it even more effective but my doctor didn't deem it necessary as clips are already highly effective. There was no need to get a riskier surgery for it, basically. He did say if I had any issues or it fails he will remove them, though.

Yes, you will have to go back 1 or 2 times to get tested to make sure the vasectomy has worked.

It took about 5-6 days after the surgery to feel comfortable to go to work again. There was little pain- only slight discomfort that felt like too many sit-ups and trapped wind. I waited a week before masturbating (no penetration) and 2 weeks with penetration (only with toys). I had to wait until my next period or 30 days after surgery before having "unprotected" sex. I chose the 30 day route, lol. I was taking no chances. I stil had my implant but I got it removed 3 weeks after my surgery and it was like a fog had been lifted. My skin got better, my sex drive came back and my periods were no longer loopy.

I should explain that the implant made my periods very irregular. I could go without a period for months or bleed for weeks non-stop. However, when it was removed my periods quickly went back to normal...in fact, they went better than normal. Now I only bleed to 2-3 days and I can predict when my period is on a calendar now. It's no longer random so I'm really happy about that.

Having your tubes removed or clipped will not stop your period as the hormones are in the ovaries - if you remove those, it will stop but you'd hit early menopause.

ForeverHis that’s basically what I’ve been told but was told it was between 8-12 weeks, and as far as needles go I’m pathetic with them, covered in tattoos but can’t stand needles and that’s basically my only worry haha, I’ve got an appointment at the end of this month and hopefully will give me some more info, was just seeing how everybody else has found it and their experiences with sterilisation wether a male or female all the information has helped massively so thank you to everyone, just need a permanent fix now and hearing others peoples experience it doesn’t sounds as horrific as I first thought haha. Thank you

I absolutely understand where you are coming from. I think there is a lot of stigma to it but it has really done wonders for us. Husband always advocates it to other Male friends he speaks to who are considering it.

Just be 100% sure you want it done as they told us that although it is reversible privately, it doesn't always work if its reversed and isn't always possible so they do class it as permanent.

In terms of the needles, as long as you don't look you won't even see them doing it. I was in the room when it was being done as I wanted to see lol but generally everything is covered and it is pretty minor. However I naturally delivered a semi breech baby, so after that everything seems minor now haha! 😂

I had the snip after our 3rd child and I can't say I regret it at all. We were done. I experienced problems after the OP and ended up in hospital with a surgical infection. That has now caused more scar tissue to build up and can be painful if caught whilst playing. It still only took a few weeks before I was back in action and its had no negative impact on my sex live.

K&c30's wrote:

I had the snip after our 3rd child and I can't say I regret it at all. We were done. I experienced problems after the OP and ended up in hospital with a surgical infection. That has now caused more scar tissue to build up and can be painful if caught whilst playing. It still only took a few weeks before I was back in action and its had no negative impact on my sex live.

I feel your pain - not literally, thankfully.

My friend's husband was going in for the snip. At the consult the surgeon handed him a bottle of Hibiscrub and told him to shower with it the week before as he'd never had a patient with a post-op infection and was proud of his lack of infection rates.

I've since heard that some surgeons will do this, some won't bother. I wouldn't want to risk an infection as any infection can cause me a relapse so I bought my own Hibiscrub in case I ever need a short notice op. I have to keep replacing it as I end up giving it to friends/family going in for ops that don't have such conscientious surgeons.

VR wrote:

K&c30's wrote:

I feel your pain - not literally, thankfully.

My friend's husband was going in for the snip. At the consult the surgeon handed him a bottle of Hibiscrub and told him to shower with it the week before as he'd never had a patient with a post-op infection and was proud of his lack of infection rates.

I've since heard that some surgeons will do this, some won't bother. I wouldn't want to risk an infection as any infection can cause me a relapse so I bought my own Hibiscrub in case I ever need a short notice op. I have to keep replacing it as I end up giving it to friends/family going in for ops that don't have such conscientious surgeons.

Oh I have never heard of it. Thanks so much, next op I have I will make sure I pick some up.

Cal95 wrote:

ForeverHis that’s basically what I’ve been told but was told it was between 8-12 weeks, and as far as needles go I’m pathetic with them, covered in tattoos but can’t stand needles and that’s basically my only worry haha, I’ve got an appointment at the end of this month and hopefully will give me some more info, was just seeing how everybody else has found it and their experiences with sterilisation wether a male or female all the information has helped massively so thank you to everyone, just need a permanent fix now and hearing others peoples experience it doesn’t sounds as horrific as I first thought haha. Thank you

I love this forum!

I'm in exactly same situation, made a GP referral Monday and waiting for an appoinment. I don't do needles well, and have a neurological condition. I want them to knock me out, as the thought of sitting back whilst some dude has a scapal round my parts is likely to make my legs spasm or pass out! The thought of the legs going and kicking the surgeon whilst he's at a crucial part fills me with dread - but I really don't want any more children.

Reading replies here with keen interest, and shall be finding myself a bottle of Hibiscrub. If needs be I'll be taking the restraints and blindfold with me if they refuse to knock me out ha ha

Hubby had the snip when I fell for our 4th. He went to my doctor who did it privately after hours. Local anecetic and the best thing for our sexlives. It didn't really hurt he said and no after effects. He was quite a heavy cummer and that didn't change. Yes it is lovely to have him finish off deep inside and lovely for him. We were early 30s so the worry of pregnancy disappeared literally over night. Xx

Had my vasectomy many years ago

Was done privately

Didn't even have stitches

Was back on the nest in two days

Best money ever spent

No regrets

paulsballs wrote:

Had my vasectomy many years ago

Was done privately

Didn't even have stitches

Was back on the nest in two days

Best money ever spent

No regrets

Back on the nest!! Love the turn of phrase.

I have found it easy, mostly painless, and very worthwhile.

Keep things extra clean for a while after the operation! You don’t want the incisions to become infected. Also, make sure you have some supportive underwear.

I had a section cut out, and the ends folded over and sewn shut. I believe this is more reliable than clips or cauterisation.

While the effect is almost immediate, you have to wait for a sample to get tested. This can take a couple of weeks.