A question for the ladies

I am a bit concerned that my Mrs is just over a week late for her monthly period.As for ages she is nearly 48 and I am nearly 51.

We did have penatrative sex just over 2 weeks ago and we had an accident with the ultra thin condom puncturing . As a precaution she did a pregnancy test at the weekend with the result being negative . She will be doing another this morning .

TBH I am not overly concerned about the pregnancy bit as when she had her last low dosage pil the doctor mentioned that because of our ages the chances are very slim. She has had to come off the pil since as it wasn't helping her to lose weight.

I have noticed that her monthlies have been a bit eratic one being only about 3 weeks apart . They are also over a slightly shorter period but quite heavy .

My question is does she need to get checked up by a GP? We do have a lady GP at our practise.Or is it something like the start of her change? She is a bit stubborn when it comes to seeing the GP over lady problems but she is always packing me off to the GP when I had a bowel cancer scare ,which turned out to be the start of my IBS .

What do you ladies recommend ?

It could be a number of things, coming off the pill will mess them up a bit, but considering her age, menopause could be messing them up, my mum was 42 when she went through with no symptoms other than periods stopping. Do another pregnancy test in a week then maybe go to the doctors just to see their opinion, I don't think it's anything serious but they could give her some information

Well since she's a week late for her period this pregnancy test *should* give the answer one way or the other. Though as she hasn't been regular that could be tricky. Perhaps grab a double pack and test again in another week just to put both your minds at ease?

With her age it is likely the change could be coming, she can look at the rest of the symptoms online and see if anything matches up. There is a logic that irregularities in bleeding should always be checked up by a GP, though I can understand her reluctance to go as they will likely just dismiss her as 'oh it's just the change, don't worry about it'. They also don't do pregnancy tests anymore, useless sods, so no help there unless you tell them you've had a positive one. I'd still try to get her to go though, just in case!

I agree with Y&F & Lovebirds, and would also suggest a trip to the GP just for peace of mind :) xx

Definitely go to get checked out, any unusual changes to a woman's cycle could indicate a medical problem, or the start of menopause as you said. In all likelihood they'll just examine her cervix and run some bloods, only takes a few minutes :)

Many thanks to all of you ladies .

She did another test this mornning which was also negative .

Good news is that with your help , I have managed to persuade her into making an appointment to see the lady GP.

Ask the GP for hormone tests, it's just a simple blood test, I recently had one, as mother nature is being a nightmare with me at the moment, so now I have to have the coil.

Purring-Pussy wrote:

Ask the GP for hormone tests, it's just a simple blood test, I recently had one, as mother nature is being a nightmare with me at the moment, so now I have to have the coil.

Thanks and I will

It could be the star of the menopause. Sorry to say it but it is possible. It could be the hormone changes from coming off the pill.

Has she considered a hormone free coil?

A simple blood test at the GP will be able to sort things out. Don't worrie there are plenty of options and GPs are not a judgemental as you might think.

I would say it very well can be related to early or the start of menopause. Knowledge is power, so if she is experiencing changes best to get it checked out. I love my female gyno as I am much more comfortable on these types of things with someone who has the same parts so if she avoid the doc that is a great way to help with comfort level.

Seeing the doctor is the best thing to do your Mrs is around the right age to be starting the menopause and could be experiencing something called perimenopause which happens before full blown menopause

I'm 49 and for the last 6 months or so my periods have been getting further apart and much less bleeding. I too did get a little worried that I may be pregnant at first. although I was steralised 20 years ago - the thought did play on my mind. A trip to the GP, an internal examination, blood tests and an ultrasound later and it has been confirmed - it's my age, and all is normal. I'm glad your oh has agreed to see the doctor, just to be on the safe side and check all is well x

Hello,

if she is just a week late, it may not indicate much. My gynecologist claims any period is regular as long as its withing plus and minus roughly 7 days, since lot of women would not have them regular natually.

Also there could be few things influencing it, the menopause can start to influence her, also any illness or temporary stress can influence it.

If you are in doubts, she should see a doctor to get herself checked. Hopefully it will not be anything serious

Many thanks ladies for your posts of support. Ironically has she has now made her appointment her period as just started albeit some 15 days late.

Even though she isnt pregnant, be prepared for more fluctuating periods. I have a friend who is 48 and (extremely likely) going through the change so you never know. Note that a GP cant diagnose the change apparently, which my friend found out on her visit. It just happens over a period of time. My friend hasnt had a period for about 15 weeks though now so its pretty certain (shes not pregnant).

popk1n wrote:

Even though she isnt pregnant, be prepared for more fluctuating periods. I have a friend who is 48 and (extremely likely) going through the change so you never know. Note that a GP cant diagnose the change apparently, which my friend found out on her visit. It just happens over a period of time. My friend hasnt had a period for about 15 weeks though now so its pretty certain (shes not pregnant).

Thanks for the heads up

Yeah, that's right there isn't a definative test for menopause , it's all just based on age and symptoms. That's what my GP told me. When I hit 48 my periods were unpredictable and I was told it was my age and body gearing up for the change but it's always best to check to check out any changes that are unusual.