early pregnancy(or not) worries

Hello

I'm just after some advice really...

I had a normal period mid Feb then had another period as norm mid march but it was different. I had no normal symptoms like severe stomach and leg pains which I norm get and it wasn't heavy which it norm is and only lasted 2 day. A few days after I found some light pink spotting when I wiped for a couple of days. Since then I have had light stomach cramps and then for the past week I have been feeling sick and very bloated. I thought yay I may be pregnant. So I done a test last night...negative. Woke up this morning with constant pains and feeling incredibly sick and just very emotional.

I feel pregnant but the test said no. Do I book a drs app?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you

L

The GP could offer a blood test to check your hormone levels, it may be too early to show a positive test?
Could be that you're having an off month, I've recently started with this, but it's down to medication and chemo. Have you recently started any new meds?

The GP could offer a blood test to check your hormone levels, it may be too early to show a positive test?
Could be that you're having an off month, I've recently started with this, but it's down to medication and chemo. Have you recently started any new meds?

Sorry for the double post, wont let me edit it

Apparently the doctors recommend the pregnancy tests that you buy in shops. They generally say that if they show positive then you are, if negative you aren't. They are 99.9% accurate. They can't give 100% accurate on the item itself cause that covers manufacturing faults

Thank you.

Purring-pussy I haven't started any new meds, just very unlike me to have an odd period and normally very regular etc

The pregnancy tests you buy are as accurate as the ones drs use and I dont think they routinely offer blood screening to check for pregnancy? I may be wrong on that though. I personaly would wait til the next period is due and if it doesnt come then take a test as it may be too early for the test to pick up yet. If however in the meantime the pain gets severe or unbearable definitely go to the drs as it may be something else causing it. :)

It took 3 weeks afteer my last due period for a test to show on a test, and it only showed on the expensive tests. I agree with stuburn regarding the tests, doctors actually trust them a hell of a lot, although I personally feel the pound shop ones can't be trusted, from my experience and from other peoples experience I've spoken with too. I used clue blue last time, after getting through a load of cheap ones and chemist own brands.

It's worth remembering that your bodies hormones are always changing and that your period will change its routine every so often, so it may just be this. Foods, sleep patterns, drinking, stress, and more all affect your period, and it could be one of these factors rather than pregnancy that's doing it.

I'd still recommend going to your GP or a GUM clinic and have a chat as it can help, and see what they think. Worrying about being pregnant can actually stress your body out and mess your periods up for a few months after, so it's best to hear what they say rather than self diagnosing.

Oh you may want to get checked for PCOS, and stis at the gum clinic, as these too can produce messed up periods, and more cramps etc.

Honestly if you are worried that something isn't quite right, then go to the GP. Yes they do normally recommend that you can confirm pregnancy just as well at home as they can in the surgery. But if you are in constant pain and feeling sick with a negative result then that' a slightly different issues.

How bad is the pain? Can you get on with your day, or is it just have to curl up and stay still type pain?

My second pregnancy did not show one day on an afternoon test, but did the next with first morning urnine. First morning urine is the best to use really, especially if you are early on and the hormones are still building.

Hope you feel better soon xxx

Thanks everyone. Have booked drs app for tomorrow if the pain is still here.

There has been a lot of pressure put on by myself to have a baby just because its something I have wanted for a long time. I do keep trying to tell myself to calm down and it will happen if I relax and chill but !such easier said than done...

Holly Love wrote:

Thanks everyone. Have booked drs app for tomorrow if the pain is still here.

There has been a lot of pressure put on by myself to have a baby just because its something I have wanted for a long time. I do keep trying to tell myself to calm down and it will happen if I relax and chill but !such easier said than done...

I think a lot of us can sympathise with this. It took me 4 years to conceive my son, in the end I had to have low dose fertility drugs to kickstart my ovulation, because apparently that wasn't happening, so bit hard to have a baby without that. I had 6 months worth of medication before I had to go back and have further tests etc.

After 5 months there was nothing, and I started to think that it was a more serious issue. Then that last month I was ill so couldn't take the medication when I needed to, and me and my ex-husband only had sex once because he'd been on nights, then we'd had a row etc, life just getting in the way. So that was it, no baby that month. Wrong! One time was all it took, lol.

I was absolutely gobsmacked to get a positive test, but just goes to show that sometimes it just happens when you least expect it.

How long have you been trying for? Relaxng is definitely the way forward, but it does seem like the most impossible thing to do when you are so eager for it to happen.

xxx

Congratulations. It is difficult as heavy periods have always been an issue and also painful periods. Very difficult when the drs just ignore it.

Have been trying for 3 months now which isn't long I know. We are going away soon so hoping a relaxing holiday will help.

Xx

Lady Ness wrote:

Oh you may want to get checked for PCOS, and stis at the gum clinic, as these too can produce messed up periods, and more cramps etc.

I have to agree with Lady Ness. I have PCOS and my periods were mental ranging from 24 days apart to 51 days. I also had breakthrough bleeding you described. I found out I had Pcos before I had my first son, then went on to become diabetic but that runs in my family but pcos can cause insulin resistance and glucose intolerance. Best to chart your charts and any odd bleeding take it to your gp who will refer you to consultant at hospital and follow up scans x

I was given metformin which is most known for being a drugdiabetics use to control sugar levels but at low doses it can help ease pcos symptoms. I took it 6 weeks and got my bfp for this pregnancy, on 3rd boy now :) its not impossible. Just you need to hassle doctors and get your hormones checked and bloods done x

Holly Love wrote:

Congratulations. It is difficult as heavy periods have always been an issue and also painful periods. Very difficult when the drs just ignore it.

Have been trying for 3 months now which isn't long I know. We are going away soon so hoping a relaxing holiday will help.

Xx

No not long, but it always feels like forever, you will get there though. A relaxing holidy sounds like a perfect idea. I hope you have a fab time :)

xx

I just wanted to say my doctors and midwife have told me it doesn't matter how expensive a test is or the brand. It depends on the sensitivity.

Hey :)

I'd like to add if you are trying for a baby and you are stressed over it.. It is possible to have a phantom pregnancy where ur mind let's you believe u are actually pregnant and you experience symptoms. I know it sounds nuts eh and I would have said the same except I experienced it when we were trying ourselves. It was at that point I thought stuff this and forgot bout trying and more enjoyed the experience and stop stressing and I fell pregnant very soon afterwards.

Also, pregnancy test don't really work on me.. Cheaper, expensive, doctors or shops.. I need a blood test to confirm the levels of HcG in my blood. So it might be possible you may need one.

Listen to your body, if you feel something isn't right or u are pregnant but test is showing negative,push doc for bloods.

Either way, I wish you luck and I hope you get sorted soon xxx

I get you with the trying for a baby. We have also been trying for three months but it feels like a lifetime waiting each month to see if your period comes then complete disappoint when it does. Relaxing and not thinking about it happening everyday is so much easier said than done...especially when you have in laws who ask you every weekend any word of a baby yet?! Oh well hope you get sorted Holly and your baby dream comes true. x

Thank you lorah13. My nagging isn't from in-laws its from my own mother. Doesn't help that I work with babies either. Hope your baby dreams come true too x

Lorah13 wrote:

I get you with the trying for a baby. We have also been trying for three months but it feels like a lifetime waiting each month to see if your period comes then complete disappoint when it does. Relaxing and not thinking about it happening everyday is so much easier said than done...especially when you have in laws who ask you every weekend any word of a baby yet?! Oh well hope you get sorted Holly and your baby dream comes true. x

I got asked about babies every fews weeks, for the enitre time we were trying! Eventually after a very upsetting onversation with my ex-husbands GP who incorrectly informed us our chances of conceiving were unlikely (he was a moron) my ex lost the plot and told all the nosy bods that we couldn't have any children so could they shut up and stop upsetting his wife! 7/8 months later I was pregnant! To say people were then very shocked was an understatement. Still it's not fair of people to always ask, becase all sorts can be happening that they're not aware of xx