A what not to do

Hey love honey.

I have recently broken off contact with three of my usual suppliers (none sex toy), for sending me short dated "voucher codes" for 5-15% off, triggered by me placing large orders.

If one of your sales guys suggests it, just give him a slap.

It might look good on powerpoint, but in my inbox, it looks like "we would have sold you that for £20 cheaper, but we saw you coming, hahaa".

Unless you backdated it, that would be awesome.

*insert manly nod*

That's pretty common practice and the point is to make you spend more. Stores don't really care that you could have used that money for your most recent order - they just want you to come back again! A couple of years ago, the WH Smith in my home town did this every single time I bought something and usually the expiry date would be about a week!

Morrisons sometimes give me vouchers for more money than I can spend (and more importantly carry) in one trip as a single person with no car. I did manage to use one by buying a couple of bottles of alcohol I wanted anyway and THEN they gave me a voucher for money off if I spent £50! I'd have had to buy yet more alcohol on top of regular groceries in order to spend that much (not fun when I have to carry it myself!) But it was only for a couple of £ of so I threw it out! I just can't spend £30-£50 on groceries because I'm not strong enough to carry them!

So, yeah, I don't think this is anything to worry about, even if it's slightly annoying. It's really just about the money. No business wants customers to spend a small amount of money if they can tempt them into spending a lot!

I never thought that about LH's voucher codes. Of course I rarely remembered to use them either. Had a couple from DotD's just before sales that would have been useful too.

Tesco does something similar to Morrisons and my situation is similar to Cat Lady's. I'm on my own as well and don't have a car. Tesco's vouchers are clearly geared towards families and it does feel like they're taking the piss when they keep upping it. I finally figured out how to stock up on certain things to make use of the £3 off of £30 vouchers and what do they do? Make the next set £4 off of £40. I stopped caring at that point.

But LH is so good with sales theirs always seemed like one more sale. I do wish I'd been born the day AFTER Christmas though instead of the day before.

Advertising it in advance is fine, but they dont make the link. They just sent me an unrelated voucher the next day.

It ****ed me off enough to block their emails and delete them from my bookmarks.

Kebert. Thank you for this post. As a thank you for such a great post I would like to offer you 15% off the time it takes to load the page the next time you visit this post. Thanks for your custom

Muahahahaha :D

Must admit, I am not a huge fan of this type of discount voucher. Straight after I already bought everything I wanted and skint! (Sob)

LH does have a lot of options across the range of products and prices though, which is good. The sales are pretty frequent as well.

I haven't shopped at Tesco much due to location difficulties but I thought regular customers with the Clubcard tend to get a lot of vouchers geared towards the kind of products they usually buy with some other things thrown it, as well as the money off vouchers. That's how it works for my mum's card. I rarely get to use mine because I refuse to get the bus to Tesco when I just have to walk 5 mins down the road to Morrisons!

This sort of thing is unfortunate for anyone who loses out (so many times I see clothes I've bought go on sale later, but when I wait, I lose out), but I don't think we are going to stop places from doing it. :(

It wasnt a complaint about LH (although advertising something free on FB at £6 when it was actually £3 is skirting the edge in my book), I'm quite happy with the service.

KebertXela wrote:

It wasnt a complaint about LH (although advertising something free on FB at £6 when it was actually £3 is skirting the edge in my book), I'm quite happy with the service.

Morning!

Sometimes the price of the product changes after graphics are commissioned and, in haste, we forget to double check.

This is set to change however, with the formation of a new team dedicated to Lovehoney special offers. Hurrah!

I suppose the other side of this is that when you buy anything, you buy it as you are happy with the price (if you're not, you'd perhaps wait, unless it was an item of urgent necessity), if the price then reduces afterwards, you feel 'cheated' but you had the option of waiting to see if the price changed or having the product there and then at the price of the time.

I used to work in retail, and had customers coming in once a product has been reduced in a sale asking for the difference back as they felt annoyed it had happened. Reality is, what can you do, if they hadn't worn the item for example then potentially they could just return the item at full price and buy it again at the reduced price...

With regards to money off offers after a purchase has been made, Lh used to do this with the offer of a VIP code of £10 off if you spent £50 within the next 14 days, (this is now wothdrawn), so I suspect what a lot of people who wanted to make a larger purchase did is buy something low value to get the code and then buy the more expensive items using the code.... Which you can do if you know retailers who operate in this way and there are a few out there...