Am I the only one?

Thanks everyone who has responded so far, while, as I mentioned, I’m comfortable with who I am and my preferences and am not searching for validation, it’s still really nice to know that I’m not the only one and that others both have the same outlook, and recognise the value of self exploration as I do.

What a place! This is why I love Lovehoney.

6 Likes

I’ve done a lot self exploring, whilst in relationships and out of them. I loved being single too, relationships are messy and difficult, but yeah it’s the best way to find out what you like and what you don’t like :relaxed:

4 Likes

Hi @newbie_analyst I’m single too, have been since I was 18. I’ve not had sex for 7.5 years and don’t get me wrong I do miss it a lot but I don’t buy toys to fill that gap as it were. I enjoy the research on what my next purchases are and very much look forward to receiving them. But I do this purely for myself. My self exploration has grown this past year and I’ve enjoyed every minuet of it. I’ve tried things I would never have dreamed of back when I was with someone and I think I’ve grown in my self confidence greatly. I love Masturbating and do it every day weather that’s just my fingers or full on dp with butt plugs and dildo. Like I say, I don’t do that because I miss sex I do it purely for the way it makes me feel. The pleasure is amazing and the relaxation afterwards is rewarding so I don’t see it as weird or wrong in any way.

7 Likes

Hi @Analaddicted, that sounds exactly the same as me, great to know there are others with the same or similar mindset to myself. Perhaps the only real difference is that I don’t really miss sex, or anything about a relationship, I’m really a die-hard introvert, happy with my own company. I too love masturbating, and exploring my own body and trying new things, I think it’s something that should be encouraged, it’s liberating, good for the soul.

4 Likes

As the bloke in the relationship, I have been in both scenarios. Before my partner and I got together, I had a break from relationships for a good 5 years and I have to say (quietly), I absolutely loved it. The time to explore what you like (and dont like) is so important.

Having had that time though, made it even better for me when I got to share the filthyness with a like minded partner in crime

6 Likes

@newbie_analyst I too am an introvert and I think that’s why I’ve been single for so long, I find it difficult to put myself out there in the real world and meet someone. I think I miss sex as a way to have a connection with someone but don’t crave it by any means. I think most of my wanting of a relationship comes from the part of me that wants to be a mum so badly, I’m almost 31 and it’s not looking likely. It seems the older I get the stronger feelings of missing the relationship and sex get but I think that’s where my emotions etc are getting confused. I think if I was actually in a relationship I would get overwhelmed and want to be on my own again. I find it exhausting being around others for too long and love nothing more than doing my own thing. I totally agree with you, masturbation is good for the soul :blush: I wish it were talked about more widely. I know for whatever reason for women it seems to be a taboo subject and rarely anyone admits to doing it and I think it’s such a shame we are made to feel we can’t although I’m unsure of why this is. I’d love to be able to talk to my very few friends I have about it but none of them admit to it. I have 1 friend that I talk to openly and we discuss what’s on our wish list etc and it’s liberating to do so. I joined this forum because I can openly discus matters that I wouldn’t with anyone else and since I joined I feel so much more comfortable with myself and the things I do knowing I’m not the only one out there that likes them or feels a certain way so I am so thankful I discovered this place where I can truly be myself and not have to filter details etc. Gosh I can ramble on haha :grin:

6 Likes

Shouldn’t be ashamed at all. Just be you :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Definitely not weird. I was thinking about this earlier and I feel like we’re finally getting to a point where more men are talking about their experimentation rather than it being taboo, which I think is fantastic. Still a long way to go mind you.

7 Likes

Almost any time someone starts a sentence with ‘am I the only one…’ the answer is ‘no.’

4 Likes

Unless it’s ‘Am I the only one that has a penis beaker?’ :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Sounds great to me, I think people that jump from relationship to relationship are weird, but that’s each to their own!

both me and my other half were single and enjoying it before we met both for around 10 years with no sniff of a relationship, we then met and we only thought this was going to be a hook up! :laughing:

Enjoy yourself :smile:

2 Likes

Define normal :wink:

1 Like

Sounds more ‘normal’ than being afraid to be alone.
I was happily single for ages until I met OH - and I did want kids, which was a factor.
The Lovehoney toys we buy are pretty much for me - OH will help with testing, and welcomes clit vibes and glass dildos into our time together, loves my lingerie, but everything else is for solo play really.

2 Likes

Even though I am in a relationship, I do not find anything weird or abnormal about this whatsoever! As others have rightly said it is perfectly healthy and natural! I have experimented with toys on myself before and after meeting my parter I find it just adds some excitement rather than the same old mundane thing everytime

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with it at all, we are in a long term relationship but we both have our own toys and do masturbate on our own, and we both agree that if anything happened to the other we’d rather stay single than enter another relationship.

3 Likes

Completely normal. I’m thoroughly of the believe that there is no set framework to which anyone has to live (within laws naturally) and that everyone should find their own way without judgement.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with being single, middle age and enjoying single life. EDITED BY MOD

1 Like

Some people are single and living with parents through no fault of their own, they’re not sad.

6 Likes

Best not to over-generalise. :slightly_smiling_face: Lots of people live in lots of different circumstances, and who are we to judge?

Ah, @WillC pipped me to it. :slightly_smiling_face: Sorry, I didn’t mean to pile on. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

From a possible suitor point of view if myself started dating a guy who lived with his flat mates or alone it would not be an issue.

If I dated a guy who I find out lived with his parents and he has alway lived with them and is middle age, I would not carry the relationship on. Even if they have disabilities most people can still have some independence in supported living.

It would not be a turn on for a guy to take you to his parents home for a romantic night when they are down stairs watching emmerdale. Nothing wrong or sad with being single, middle age and having sexual fun alone or having sexual fun with other singles it’s just if someone living with their parents and doing it whilst their middle age.

1 Like