Am I wrong to be annoyed about partner's comment?

Fully agree that you are right to be annoyed but as a man myself I have done and said stupid things in front of others in jest without thinking if it would upset my amazing OH. In fairness she always pulls me up on it and I rightly apologise! As a male I think we are just not very bright sometimes :man_facepalming:

Been there, done that and got the T Shirt…We are quite hopeless sometimes! That doesn’t make it any less painful but we must know when we have said the wrong thing and apologise straight away…and learn from it!

Its not that i don’t agree with you here, but have you tried viewing it from his side. He’s not been married before, where as you have. He has a level of commitment to live up to but no experience. Playing it down is probably just a way of hiding his feelings. It can be very daunting.

I am not married and the pressure i get from others is phenomenal. I dont believe a marriage should be a sign of how much i love my partner. It such be the amount of love and commitment i show her.

The advertisements do say us men should talk more, but if all his other friends are getting married, who does he talk to with out potentially insulting their actions.

1 Like

@Mrs.John - what a top bloke you got :clap::clap:

2 Likes

@Mr_amp_MrsDLPS he is a good guy. I forget it sometimes :laughing: but I am very lucky. But quite frankly I wouldn’t tolerate being disrespected (now or then).

2 Likes

This.
I tried to post something last night and couldnt word it wothout sounds like a horrible person. But this is spot on.

Im in agreement with your partner, i do think he should consider how he says such a thing infront of you, but end of the day, the pressure non married guys get in long term relationship is unreal.

Your feelings should be considered but so should his.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your replies. We’ve done a lot of talking and he understands how it must have felt for me. To then men who reminded me of how it must feel from his perspective too, thank you for reminding me to see both sides. I have said that no way to I want him to feel backed into a corner to the point he feels he has to propose or say we’ll get married, if it does ever happen, I want it to be because we’re both entirely happy and committed to it.

He does acknowledge how I feel though and has said he will be more thoughtful if the situation arises again, which I think it will next week. We’re going to his cousins wedding and I’ll be meeting some of his family for the first time, but at least we’re both on the same page now.

Anyway, I’m glad I asked the question and for for all the replies, since we’ve talked openly about how we feel, we seem to be a lot closer, if that was possible. So, right now, I am totally happy with how things are and that thing that was eating away at me has gone and I feel far more relaxed and at ease xx

7 Likes

And remember that old “joking” habits can pop out from time to time, so don’t beat him up over a slip up. Maybe a facial expression that will remind him ooops…not that joke again!

All the best,

2 Likes

As with anything that is causing you concern
’ talk, talk, talk"
Sounds like a decent bloke if he can reflect on things and see your point if view. You also saw his side of things . That suggests you are a solid couple that can have a good future .x

2 Likes

I was looking through my profile and had forgotten I’d started this thread and felt you deserved an update!

So, we’ve done a lot of talking about our future together since I started this thread, and we’ve decided we’d like to get married in Gretna Green. I’ve been married before so we just want a quite ceremony, just the 2 of us, then we’ll have a party for family and friends about a month later! Hoping to do it later this year or early next year!

We’re thinking of just going away and doing it with no fuss, so you lot will be my sounding board and where I come for advice!! Xx

10 Likes

@Rhilee Fabulous news & congratulations :clinking_glasses: :champagne:

1 Like

Make sure you have 2 witnesses for the ceremony (legal requirement, but can be the people officiating the ceremony) :+1: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Happy for you both, the OH and I will most likely be doing something similar in the summer :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Congratulations! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :champagne:

1 Like

Congratulations to you too! I asked them about witnesses, and for £30 they will provide them! Xx

1 Like

Congratulations to you both!

1 Like

Congratulations, i hope all the plans go well.

Well this worked out well.

Congrats

1 Like

Didn’t it just! Xx

Apparently my excitement to show an interest in the happy day was “not appropriate”. So in that case, I hope we get “updates” on this great day for you. Still happy for you getting over the hurdle. XOXO

1 Like