Anonymity

I have to admit I love the anonymity on this site (both mine and other peoples) and find it a great way to be open about so many things.

But without knowing exactly who it is I'm talking with, I sometimes find myself thinking about who it is I know in my own life they remind me of and sort of associate them together in the back of my mine. And even wondering if people I do know are on here (I do have one friend who has also liked Lovehoney on facebook).

Just me??

im a bit less anonmous than you on here, used to have my face on and everyithing.

I cant now for career reasons but i feel better knowing it is so anon here

I have a couple of Facebook friends that have liked LH and often wonder if I talk to them on here without realising lol

I only have one person from here on facebook as its my real life fb account so very very private and its someone I have know for a whille and trust.

Its really nice to be able to be open on the forums, but for me, certain things (work/family/bereavement issues) are very private and despite anonymity I would never discuss them on here.

But yes, there are some people on here that remind me of a family member or a colleague at work. I often wonder if i would get on with them in real life. Who knows. I dont believe i know anyone from here that frequents the forums who i know in my personal life. But i have been suprised recently to find two people who live very close to me. Again, I do not believe these people know me in real life and i would be slightly embarrassed if they did.

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

But you are all as real to me as people I see down the street, friends etc. You are a lot more than just some text on a screen to me. xx

Aw, thanks Avrielle. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't think of you as not a real person, just that my brain likes to fill in the gaps.

dont be embarressed dee have fun :)

I know what you mean. There's a few people on here who I sometimes wonder might be person X or Y that I know offline. There's also a couple of people who know I use Lovehoney, so sometimes wonder if they've joined the forums and if so, if they've worked out who I am. I try to keep certain bits of information about me private for that reason, just in case, but everything I do say is honest, and love the fact that almost everyone on here seems so honest and open.

TheKittyKat wrote:

I know what you mean. There's a few people on here who I sometimes wonder might be person X or Y that I know offline. There's also a couple of people who know I use Lovehoney, so sometimes wonder if they've joined the forums and if so, if they've worked out who I am. I try to keep certain bits of information about me private for that reason, just in case, but everything I do say is honest, and love the fact that almost everyone on here seems so honest and open.

totally agree if your sure no one knows who you are no point being dishonest x

i don't show who i am on lh but if you follow my none-vanilla blog............

Now you've all said that, I've looked at my friends who also like LoveHoney on Facebook. It's strange to think I might be talking to them really candidly about sex. (At least one knows who I am though ;) ) I would hope though that as they're like minded people that it wouldn't be a bother if they did know!

As it happens, if any of you think you know me, ask and I'll tell. :P

Blueeyes82 wrote:

i don't show who i am on lh but if you follow my none-vanilla blog............

Don't worry, no-one I know.

I think It can work for you and against you, on one hand keep your identity secret gives us the freedom to discuss more openly are sex issues, wants, needs desires we can ask for help or advise ect ect ect on the other hand I think it limits us to what we can discuss out of the sexual areas

Iv noticed posts previously mentioning fake profiles, trolls, attention seekers, people telling stories in hopes of getting " feel better" gifts ect

So this makes me cautious of what I disclose I myself needed to unload a few weeks ago regarding a issue I didn't want my family worrying about till I had real answers to give them but after seeing previous posts I felt I couldn't openly talk about it due to people making the assumption I was trying to pull a scam of some kind people who know me in the real world would know differently but then I wouldn't feel comfortable talking to them

Does that make sence lol x

Hellkat wrote:

I think It can work for you and against you, on one hand keep your identity secret gives us the freedom to discuss more openly are sex issues, wants, needs desires we can ask for help or advise ect ect ect on the other hand I think it limits us to what we can discuss out of the sexual areas

Iv noticed posts previously mentioning fake profiles, trolls, attention seekers, people telling stories in hopes of getting " feel better" gifts ect

So this makes me cautious of what I disclose I myself needed to unload a few weeks ago regarding a issue I didn't want my family worrying about till I had real answers to give them but after seeing previous posts I felt I couldn't openly talk about it due to people making the assumption I was trying to pull a scam of some kind people who know me in the real world would know differently but then I wouldn't feel comfortable talking to them

Does that make sence lol x

Yeah I know what you mean, but personally I still try and keep to topics of sex and/or more frivolous matters. Don't think I'd see Lovehoney as a place to unload.

I get where your coming from Hun but sometimes knowing others have shared an experience or know someone who has helps you get through iv seen this work wonderfully on posts on here already

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I think of you all as real life people anyway, why wouldn't I? We are all so open and honest with eachother a lot of the time and the forums are like a second home to me. Trolls are far and few between, but I hate it when one comes along, also those who lie and make things up about themselves. I also don't like arguments and friction between members here. It makes me sad. :-(

But you are all as real to me as people I see down the street, friends etc. You are a lot more than just some text on a screen to me. xx

What is a troll?

DoorGlass wrote:

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I think of you all as real life people anyway, why wouldn't I? We are all so open and honest with eachother a lot of the time and the forums are like a second home to me. Trolls are far and few between, but I hate it when one comes along, also those who lie and make things up about themselves. I also don't like arguments and friction between members here. It makes me sad. :-(

What is a troll?

DoorGlass,

A trool is someone who lives on a forum and generally likes to cause problems for posters by asking obtuse or stupid questions designed to creat problems or start arguments.

Everyone states a point once in a while that may not be in line with others opinions but a troll usually only asks questions designed to get a rise from people - and they're post history usually clearly shows this to anyone that thinks to look.

Hope that helps.

P.S . . . They also are usually small dumpy folk that have florescent pink hair with a waxy plasticky feel, so be wary ;-)

I was accused of being a troll on here a few weeks back.

I dared to challenge the opinion of one of the long serving members on the subject of bullying.

Be nice or be outcast!

Never mind.

Yes DoorGlass this, like any forum, can lean torwards cliquey if not kept in check. The LH bods and regular posters do a good job of steering things and keeping them open though.

As for anonymity, there is no such thing. If someone really wants to find the ID of a poster then they can. It is just a case of how hard they try.

I have made references to my ID on here over the years, and because some of my work is delicate I have to be careful not to join in some of the threads that I would like to. Paranoid? Oh yes. lol

I really like the anonymity of this forum, it's nice to be able to talk about things that I wouldn't feel too comfortable discussing in a Facebook style arena. Personally I don't want to upload photos of my face or make references to areas of my personal life i.e work, names, location etc and so far I haven't felt any pressure to do so, which is great!
I aso like the mystery of not knowing everything about the people I've spoken to so far, it's fun!

Totally agree with boing boing, it makes it much easier to discuss topics here without embarrasment or fear of being recognised