Another Girly problem

Have looked for an appropriate thread and can't find anything exactly right but feel free to re direct me if you can :)

Basically, as a few of you will know from previous posts on birth control pills, i cant take any thing as it makes me bleed every week, its been happening since i was 15, tried various different ones, all same probs, came off the pill in '07 and fell preg 2nd pill free month and went back on the pill after my boy was born before my periods had returned for the random bleeding to start all over again.

Well, 2yrs later nothing had changed, tried another 3 different brands of bc pill and same thing everytime, came off it all together in sept to try to concieve again and now im getting the bleeding between periods OFF the pill!

I have an appointment with a nurse in a couple of hours for something else and intend on bringing this up (can get an app with dr, my local surgury is shit). But, has any one else experienced this and got an answer out of it?? googled it and lots of posts, but no one ever has answer for it.....

It's really starting to worry me now as this is obviously my body and not the pill and my DR has refused to give me a smear test untill im 25 despite me begging him for one for the past 4 years, i doubt theres much a nurse can say on this much less do, but i would like her opinion on it. Have also searched this in "The top womens health forum on the internet" and the subject isnt even on there!

SO.....any one.....?

Sorry, should also point out, this IS NOT spotting, its full on bleeding (tmi sorry) and i get period cramps or any other PMS symptoms with it, whereas i do when it is that time of the month

If you are bleeding between periods when you are off the pill then I personally would push for a smear. Does it also happen after sex? I only ask as that was something I was asked when I had problems with my coil. If they wont do a smear then ask for an examination to see if you have any form of errosion which may explain the bleeding, but still push for that smear.

suze9 wrote:

If you are bleeding between periods when you are off the pill then I personally would push for a smear. Does it also happen after sex? I only ask as that was something I was asked when I had problems with my coil. If they wont do a smear then ask for an examination to see if you have any form of errosion which may explain the bleeding, but still push for that smear.

No probs with bleeding after sex atall, i've had an examination (several atcually) and nothings ever wrong, also had STI tests etc to rule out things like clamidyia as apparantly that can make you bleed but nothing ever comes back

Strange, push for the smear then because if all other options have been used up in trying to explain your bleeding then it warrants being done. What is the age for 1st smear in your area as I would expect that by the age of 25 then you should need one done. I think its great that they are giving the injection to young girls now but the blanket age ban on smears is cutting out the group that were too old to have the injection but are deemed too young for the smear and it should be done regardless if the female in question has issues just to be on the safe side.

I do hope they allow you to have one done even if it just brings you peace of mind that nothing untoward is going on xxx

This sounds hormonal. Have you had any hormone testing done? It could be that the pill is just not your form of contraception. Have you tried others?

I do think you either need to change Doc or get some tests done as this obviously affects the quality of your life.

Good luck.

Could it be that your body is still trying to adjust back to normal?

You probably already know that it takes time for hormones to come back to normal levels after being on the Pill. Since you didn't tolerate it very well while you were on it, I'm wondering if is possible that your body is taking a little bit longer to adjust not that you've stopped taking it.

Having said that, I'd be doing just like you are now and pushing for them to give me a good reason why it was happening. It might be possible for the nurse to intervene on your behalf. I hope you get some help.

Yoko wrote:

Could it be that your body is still trying to adjust back to normal?

You probably already know that it takes time for hormones to come back to normal levels after being on the Pill. Since you didn't tolerate it very well while you were on it, I'm wondering if is possible that your body is taking a little bit longer to adjust not that you've stopped taking it.

Having said that, I'd be doing just like you are now and pushing for them to give me a good reason why it was happening. It might be possible for the nurse to intervene on your behalf. I hope you get some help.

I don't think its my body just adjusting, obv it could be but everything was fine for the 1st 3months off the pill, so it seems to me that was my body reajusting and this "is normal" for my body.

Sweet-kitten wrote:

This sounds hormonal. Have you had any hormone testing done? It could be that the pill is just not your form of contraception. Have you tried others?

I do think you either need to change Doc or get some tests done as this obviously affects the quality of your life.

Good luck.

Have also asked about having hormone levals checked and got a "no you can't" changing my dr is the next port of call, the guys a pig, no one around here likes him lol.

Just hope i can pull my self together and explain it all right to the nurse, ive written it all down but i get so upset about it sometimes i just cant talk about it, i know that seems slightly over the top, but this has been going on for over 6 years now and not only does it play on my mind alot that something potentially could be very wrong and no ones listening to me, it affects mine and the OH's relationship and it sure aint predictable and if i stand up in public one more time for my insides to fall out all over the place i am going to actaully die of embarrassment, not to mention its costing me a fortune in tampax External Media i think i should get them free tbh lol

Sweet-kitten wrote:

Good luck.

sorry forgot this bit, Dr has said that nothing hormonal will work for me, injection, implant etc etc are all just different ways of taking the same hormones, so the side effects will be the same, the only other non hormonal contraception in the copper coil, which i cant have due to bad periods. any way, contraception is not the issue at the mo as we are ttc, it seems that it was just wrongly blamed for this problem for a long while

missorgasm wrote:

sorry forgot this bit, Dr has said that nothing hormonal will work for me, injection, implant etc etc are all just different ways of taking the same hormones, so the side effects will be the same, the only other non hormonal contraception in the copper coil, which i cant have due to bad periods. any way, contraception is not the issue at the mo as we are ttc, it seems that it was just wrongly blamed for this problem for a long while

Bullshit. They all might be the same overall branch of hormones, but the way they're handled by the body is totally different. I can't get the injection because it makes me bleed non-stop (13 weeks, woo!), pill gave me 'normal' periods, coil has given me the odd smear in place of a period and usually nothing, and the implant I never tried but was warned off because that doesn't tend to help control periods in cases like mine, but again it's different.

OK, I see what you mean now - sorry, I didnt realise you were OK for the first 3 months after you stopped taking it. I don't blame you for getting upset over it; it is upsetting, and its having a big impact on your life. Its even more galling when the Dr wont take it seriously.

You're right; this definitely needs to be investigated. If they wont consider it a medical problem worth treating, how about pushing it from the angle that its causing you problems trying to conceive? It might be that they'll take it more seriously if you say you fear that it's causing fertility issues?

At our surgery there is a female doc who works 2 -3 days/week. Whenever I have anything of an "intimate" nature to discuss I ask to see her. Is that an option for you?

I really hope you get some relief; this must be incredibly unpleasant for you

BashfulBabe wrote:

missorgasm wrote:

Bullshit. They all might be the same overall branch of hormones, but the way they're handled by the body is totally different. I can't get the injection because it makes me bleed non-stop (13 weeks, woo!), pill gave me 'normal' periods, coil has given me the odd smear in place of a period and usually nothing, and the implant I never tried but was warned off because that doesn't tend to help control periods in cases like mine, but again it's different.

Doctors often say this and I completely disagree with it - I've been in and said "this pill gives me X side effects, can I switch" and they'll say "well, it's all the same stuff but here try this one". Side effects have always been different with every pill and that's well characterised - it may be the same stuff but different doses mixed with different %s of other things has an effect.

I really thought I'd have no problem switching to the pill I'm on now because I've never had real problems with moods on the pill but this one has made me emotional and depressed right at the worst possible time!

It's worth trying different things to find something that suits you! And definitely swap your doc MissO! Sounds like the one you have is dismissive and arrogant.

Adx

I am gutted because I can't take nothing and haven't been able to for past three years.

Condoms are poo lol

LittleMiss1981UK wrote:

I am gutted because I can't take nothing and haven't been able to for past three years.

Condoms are poo lol

Can you use spermicides?

You could always try using the cap http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cervical_cap not a common method of contraception but a possible option!

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

LittleMiss1981UK wrote:

Condoms are poo lol

Can you use spermicides?

You could always try using the cap http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cervical_cap not a common method of contraception but a possible option!

Adx

Nah, nothing like that is allowed in my body. Due to the treatments I am on, even a cap could be dangerous.

One day I will get better and won't need them. At least they are free lol

Oh that's a shame!

I hope your treatments are all over soon and that they're successful of course!

Adxx

The oh had probs that way but had a special coil inserted now all is wonderful, very little bleeding at all

If your Dr is fobbing you off then ask for a second opinion then and there, you're entitled to it.

we had this with a couple of brands but eventually my oh found a brand tht worked for her trail and error is all i can offer sorry to hear about perticment

trial*