Antibiotics playing havoc with my lady bits and other Q's

Ive been on really strong antibiotics this week for yes another UTI anyway last night my OH commented on how I "tasted different" ... not something i like to hear in the throws of passion.

Im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem... i'm also a bit annoyed that my thrush seems to be back AND the uti hasnt budged.

has anyone else ever been given UTI antibiotics to keep to use when needed??

I haven't had antibiotics in years, but there is something you can do to help rebalance gut ecology. You could try probiotics but in my experience they're not very powerful, and not worth the money.

Far more effective is something called kefir. Its a fermented milk product which you can make yourself at home. You buy kefir grains (very cheaply online), add them to milk, wait 24 hours and hey presto, you have a very powerful probio drink. The taste takes a bit of getting used to, it helps if you add fruit or something else to it. You'll need to buy non-homogonised milk (pasteurised is fine) to make it (the only place I've found it local to me is at Sainsbury's).

You can google "kefir" to find out more. There's plenty of info out there.

i already take probiotic pills. Thrush has been dealt with yay!!!

meant to say thanks yoko... ive written it down for future use :D

last time i had a uti i took all the cranberry powder sachets, had cranberry extract tablets, drenched myself with water and it didn't quite go away- came back full blown but then went away by itself after about 5 days- was pretty impressed by that.

but i'm guessing you're a bit past the stage of seeing if it goes by itself

do you take probiotics all the time? because i heard you're only meant to take them in 6 week courses

katmiaow wrote:

last time i had a uti i took all the cranberry powder sachets, had cranberry extract tablets, drenched myself with water and it didn't quite go away- came back full blown but then went away by itself after about 5 days- was pretty impressed by that.

but i'm guessing you're a bit past the stage of seeing if it goes by itself

do you take probiotics all the time? because i heard you're only meant to take them in 6 week courses

hey sorry only just seen this! I take them when I remember. I dont think they make a difference to be honest although a lot of friend tell me I should be taking them as I have had so many antibiotics in the past few months.

I have been on and off antibiotics for UTI's over the last few years and now the doctor (at the Sexual Health Clinic) wants to treat me for pelvic inflammatory disease as the pain and blood that seems to be happening is not normal or linked to the cystitus.... which I am happy to get crossed off the list as well my own GP just prescribed me antibiotics for UTI's and told me to take it when I feel it flaring up.

funnily enough the daily double dose of cranberry capsules seems to be helping with all the issues i've been having.