UTI's The bane of my life

Well I have just been hit with my second UTI in a month. Hurts so bad it reduces me to tears. I have suffered on and off for 15 years with these bloody things and I should technically be an expert by now. You know, cranberry juice, loose underwear, showers instead of baths, wash and pee after sex. Of course I am not a perfect human and sometimes you just cant be bothered to get that shower after sex and BAM! There you are, curled up on your bed, dying. lol

This is not really a question or asking for advice. I am just moaning because oh my gawd it hurts!

Anyone else suffer?

^^^^^^ exactly the same!!! Had it about four times past six months at least. You need to watch your acid levels in the food/drink and make sure you have loads of water. I got mine again this week even though I've started drinking cranberry juice lol grrrrr Xx

yeah i know how you feel although i only seem to suffer with them when im pregnant with my second i had a constant one a was antibiotics for about 10 weeks if not long suckss starting to get the odd pain here an there now my pregnant again so been knocking back water an cranberry juice

Oh shit, I hate those. I used to get one or two a year, but I have been clean for a while now. I keep my fingers crossed. My heart goes out to you.

I am lucky, never had those, but my friend had. There is some herbal tea you can buy in my country that helps to clean it. But not sure about UK. She drank that and cranberry juice and plenty of water.

Same here :( suffer from them quite regularly, usually brought on by sex.
I now take cranberry capsules on a daily basis whether I've got it or not, they're more concentrated than the juice (also hate the taste lol) and it does seem to help :)

Thanks everyone. Well I drank so much water and cranberry last night that I was peeing so often I couldnt sleep lol. Went to the doctors today and the dip test said I am clear of infection. I know 100% I had/have one and think I have just drank enough to flush most of it out of my system. Still getting pain and cramps though so I guess without antiiotics I better keep on top of drinking a lot, to make sure it doesnt begin to multiply in my bladder again.

I do feel better today though and chelsea your blog sums it up well, I particularily liked "peeing like a racehorse on fire" lol xx

Funnily enough I woke up this morning with terrible tummy pain. Went to A&E and turns out I have a bladder infection possibly on its way to the kidney. Eep! Xx

My OH had much the same problem, persistant UTIs for near 2 years. They more or less dominated or sex life and really limited what we could do. She tried a 3 month series of Macrodantin, which worked for the UTIs, but led to constant thrush, and she was prone to UTIs immediately after coming off them.

Now, she has a different antibiotic - Trimoxazole - which she takes immediately after sex, and which has resulted in zero UTIs since starting on this process. She also rarely gets thrush anymore, and so we believe that this is the best way to go. She's had numerous scans and a cystoscopy in the past, with every doctor failing to come up with a proper solution, until the Trimoxazole was suggested. So maybe you could look into that?

Let us know if you've any more questions about it, or just want to talk a bit - UTIs are something that nearly ruined our sex life, but they can be dealt with. We're hoping things work out for you.

S+S I am pretty much an expert on UTI's too, for the same reason. They dominated my life around the age of 18 to 20 where eventually I went for a procedure to have my urethra stretched. I had tried all the home remedies I could find info about and the same as your partner, got put on long term antibiotics and after a few years they seemed to stop. (By that I mean only 1 or 2 a year) I stopped the antibiotics years ago now and managed to keep the infections at bay.

Now they seem to be coming more frequent again and I am not happy, give me the flu, give me a headache but the pain of UTI I cant stand urghhh!

The weird thing is today my doctor told me he tested my pee and it shows no infection. As a long time sufferer I know 100% I have one. The only thing I can think is that I flushed it out over night because I drank so much fluids. Anyway if they keep hitting me I am going to have to consider long term antibiotics again I guess but like your partner, they give me thrush too! (I have a supply of thrush meds in the house because the doc knows I get that regular too)

I just think my body is hyper sensitive.

Antibiotics can cause thrush as they upset the natural bacterial balance. Taking antibiotics long term without the proper testing just creates resistance. A dipstick can tell you whether you have an infection - its just gives indicators such as blood, protein etc. Only a lab can test for bacteria through flow cytometry or growing it. The most common cause of a uti if E coli.

(ps I do this for a living)

I get my results back from the lab on Friday so if anything is cultured I should get treated then. Hope I dont have to wait until Monday or I am in for an ouchy weekend!