Beds...

so, we are needing a new bed! the one we have is metal and squeaks way too much, even turning over is a nightmare! have youngish kids and i really hate the fact they might be wakened by us having sex. Can anyone recommend a good sturdy bed that will last

The things you have to consider when buying a bed & you have kids! Lol
I'd perhaps go for something with wooden slats across the bottom. We have a pine bed frame. Or you could see about divan beds? Best to go into a bed shop and try them out! 😉

neighbour too lol, we have older people on each side of our terraced house and hear not a peep, however we can hear 1 neighbour sneeze as our bedrooms are on the same side so i cringe sometimes at what can hear from our house lol. have looked at the ikea mandal but will need to see in the flesh! im thinking something perhaps lower to the floor.

A divan bed without headboard would probably be your best option plus you get the bonus of built in storage to hide your toys away

We've had a couple of modern beds which end up squeaking etc .

We've gone back to a good old divas without a headboard , no noise at all ( from the bed anyway )

I went from having them stylish leather beds with headboard and wooden slabs underneath the matteress, to a divan..although that bed didn't squeak, it didn't last 6 months after the wooden slabs snapped underneath. (neither i or my OH are heavy in weight nor were we REALLY rough in the bed).

For me a divan bed was the best investment ever, it's silent and is sturdy enough to hand the roughest tumbles.

Oh my god I need a new bed and matress too! I'm so unmotivated to spend the money though...

Wodden or divan beds with a foam matress do not squeek in my expereince

X

I have a wooden captain style bed so it has drawers and cupboards underneath. Great height for edge of bed action, and has a slated headboard perfect for gripping onto or being restrained too and remains silent!

We have a metal bed and ours started to squeak. What I did was loosen off the bolts that hold it together and spray a silicone lubricant ie wd40 between we're they touch and tighten them back up as tight as you can.

Worked for us or you could rub a wax candle on both parts that touch but you would have to take it apart.

We have a divan bed which is brilliant for hiding our restraints which would sometimes fall through the wooden slats in our old bed...and also our matress on our divan is quite high so makes the bed perfect hip height ![](upload://h7LJ67OOrR57VDYrj5ZEwwHAfLG.gif)

A draw divan make sence. We have a King size with four draws, one is full of toys.

Any 'enthusiastic' sex can be silenced with a pillow behind the headboard.

We have a king sized divan and it's not noisy

I am too in need of a new bed. Currently have a divan, and this has been the best. Had a metal one and it was awfully squeeky.

New Divan for me is a must, but need to sort my room out.

Hi we have been with "Lovehoney" for about 10 months, but this is our first posting.

We have had a water bed for about 15 years, in fact we are on our second bed. They are brilliant!! Forget about all that water slopping about in the dodgy 60's and 70's films, the one's that look like a wave machine, thay have come along way since those days. You can now get them in different patterns of water movement, they can even give you two seperate movements on the same bed, with two seperate mattresess.

We originally got it for my back problems, which I am happily to report haven't got any worse over the years. We have four draws under our bed, and they are slightly set back so that you can still open them even if you bedside cabinets.

As for the noise? well apart from a little movement of the water swelling about when you move, they are great, and I wouldn't be without one........

BED , so so very important. Great thread.

My personal advice being a big guy who likes to be physical in this department is a divan. Because it has 8 cantact points to the floor.

Usually a storage draw for all your LH goodies.

They are a good hieght for doggy.

Get a good memory foam thick matress and pillows to help with allsorts of postional support. This will also act as a shock absorber and stop the squeeks.

Lastly you get what you pay for . Dont scrimp.

We have leather sleigh bed with drawers in the base and wooden slats, it's completely silent :)

we were in ikea yesterday and their malm ottoman bed seems very sturdy but i cannot find many reviews for them. Im not rushing in and buying the 1st one i like so think we need to do some more shopping

filthygorgeous wrote:

neighbour too lol, we have older people on each side of our terraced house and hear not a peep, however we can hear 1 neighbour sneeze as our bedrooms are on the same side so i cringe sometimes at what can hear from our house lol.

Oh, this was me in my last place. I could hear the neighbours' phones on vibrate through the walls, so they must have heard absolutely everything we were doing. I had to move the bed away from the wall. Ooops.

Just thought i would update. We went looking at beds and for circa £500 (which is what we were looking to spend max) i didnt feel there was too much choice. Ive had a silentnight divan previously and a cheaper one and i found that after time esp with 2 kids the bases tended to sag a little and inside them its like firewood covered in fabric. I did see the malm ottoman bed in ikea but at £300 for the frame and then a good mattress we would be well over our budget. Now, i totally love a bit diy and really wanted a good sturdy chunky bed so after doing a bit of googling and with the help of you tube i seen a lovely simple bed frame, so i made it lol. It cost £55 in total and is rock solid (or it seems it for now lol) if it turns out im not as great at diy as i thought and it collapses(!) then its not a huge deal as it cost so little to make, had a great time doing so too and Hubby cant wait to try it out :-)