Creaky, squeaky bed!

I have a bed from Ikea, it's all wooden apart from metal runners to hold the slats in place. It was only £100 so obviously not the best quality but I've only had it 9 months and it's terribly creaky which is a bit offputting during sex.

It doesn't bang against any walls, I've tightened all of the bolts with an alan key... but I have no idea what else to try. Any suggestions?! x

It could be where the slates meet the mental rail that its squeeking, it could be that one of the slates it loose or that they are actually too tight and dont have any room to move.

No idea how to fix it tbh

A spray of WD40 where metal meets wood might work, or where wood is attached to wood it that doesn't. WD40 shouldn't affect the wood itself, and as long as you wipe up the excess liquid before you put on the mattress or bed linen, it should be fine.

WD40 often gets rid of the squeek in hinges and stuff, so it should help this problem too!

Ours squeaks horribly, ours is all metal. Very offputting, especially when we worry we will wake the toddler who is in the cot in our bedroom!

May have to try some WD40 Gibson5, we haven't tried that yet.

I'd echo the WD40 suggestion. You might also find that the strategic addition of some metal brackets to reduce any play around the wooden joints might help -- but that would be a question of experimentation (i.e. sex, add a bracket, sex again, add another bracket, more sex, and so on ).

To be honest, I rather enjoy hearing a bit of rhythmic creaking and squeaking of the bed during sex, but I can understand it beng annoying if it's the wrong sort of repetitive, or if there are others around and you don't wish to be overheard.

i like a squeaking bed during sex.. maybe thats just me tho :)

if there is no wd40 to hand then rub some silicone lube on it ;)

ZombieCpl wrote:

if there is no wd40 to hand then rub some silicone lube on it ;)

and Metal beds can be welded fixed again!

make sure everything is very tight.

I've worked out that the creak comes from the metal rail down each side of the bed. It's not the slats. Everything is done up tight! WD40 was my first thought but it's not metal on metal that's making the noise it's metal on wood so I don't think WD40 would work!

Grrrr!

candle wax between the metal and wood :-)

How to Fix a Squeaking Bed Frame -- 7 steps (with pictures):

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Squeaking-Bed-Frame

Hope it helps!

Me and the OH have a 100% metal frame and it can be very offputting, especially when all hell breaks out and it's just a pure hardcore session, sounds like the damn thing is going to come apart below us.

Although that did happen with a wooden frame once, that's why we bought the metal one.

maybe put some fabric strips on the metal rails or on the wooden slates? or even something like kitchen paper?

Dot, I just love te idea that your sex is SO vigorous you have to lube the bed as well!

brockleyfox wrote:

Dot, I just love te idea that your sex is SO vigorous you have to lube the bed as well!

Pahahahaha thanks!

I wish that was the case though.... the bed squeaks even during low impact lovemaking. There's not enough vigorous activity for my liking :(

Thanks everyone. i think I'm going to take the damn thing apart and put it back together again, tighten all the bolts and lube it up! xx

dotdashdot wrote:

brockleyfox wrote:

Pahahahaha thanks!

I wish that was the case though.... the bed squeaks even during low impact lovemaking. There's not enough vigorous activity for my liking :(

Thanks everyone. i think I'm going to take the damn thing apart and put it back together again, tighten all the bolts and lube it up! xx

put grease or candle wax on the nuts bolts and washers before you put them together not only does it help stop squeaking you can tighten up tighter

Our headboard keeps hitting the wall which is also offputting, we just stuff a cushion down the back of it lol xx