Changes you've made this year that you'll carry on

I keep hearing about how people have adapted to new routines, way of working or started new habits/hobbies.

Thought it’d be fun to ask what you’ve started or stopped due to lockdown that you’d like to continue even after Corona (whenever that is)?

For me, I’ve started eating more salads as I’ve been working from home and not have to worry about wasting any. I’ve also been working on the 100 press up challenge and won’t to carry on with pushups regularly

3 Likes

Working more from home.

3 Likes

Well even tho the plans were put in to place in Jan one thing we will carry on doing is growing our own veggies and keeping chickens :relaxed:

5 Likes

Social distancing. I finally have a valid reason to avoid people.

9 Likes

To actually be in the now with my kids. To put my phone away, forget about the washing and just sit and be with them!

3 Likes

@Blonde_Bunny I agree with you on that one. The thing about social distancing is that it works with all infectious disease, like flu and colds. A bit more personal space and a bit more hygiene is a good thing.

The working partially from home will carry on I’m sure. New hobbies I’ve started will too, and I won’t go back to some in-person old ones.

3 Likes

Oh the other thinking we are definitely keeping is the way we do food shopping now. Before, we bought stuff then tried to make meals from it. Now we plan what meals we are having and stock up accordingly. Allows for a much more targeted list, and my husband does it guerilla-style. In, get the list and out. He isn’t swayed by offers and yummy stuff, so we can’t eat it as he doesn’t buy it, oh and I’m very impressionable so buy all sorts of crap

3 Likes

I have a wormery that we got during lockdown to help reduce our food waste. I have also eradicated most plastics in the house and switched to eco friendly, uk based, or local providers for items. Gone back to using a Milkman and a local provider for fruit and vegetables.

I also have been studying which I will continue to do as want to work in counselling.

Been working on my fitness too!

4 Likes

Some really good points raised :+1:

I agree with @Blonde_Bunny and @KinkyMira that social distancing is a good thing although I don’t like the blanket rule at present, be nice when we can get close to friends and family (when we want to) but keep our distance from others.

The working from home and better work/life balance is something I think many will be keen to keep going. And I’m sure once companies realise the savings they can make from downsizing offices it’ll be a win-win.

I heard a good quote the other day which was along the lines that sometimes things take decades to change but then a decades worth of change happens in a short space of time. I’m hoping the office space falls into this category! Will take some time to fully adapt but I can see it working well

4 Likes

I know I plan to.

1 Like

Just thought I would try a little positivity to what we all might do differently in 2021 that you may of taken up or tried to do during lockdown 1 or lockdown 2 ? Or maybe 3 in December ???

For myself we ( me OH and the kids ) started to grow some basic veg this summer so next years we are going to expand on this and get them to grow more vegetables :tomato: :corn: :hot_pepper: and see what happens .

10 Likes

Hopefully not worrying about COVID

6 Likes

@carzy Boris has got this sorted like Brexit :rofl::crazy_face::crazy_face:

3 Likes

Ooh. A great thread, I like looking forward and setting goals.

I plan to review my savings next year and look at my housing options (I had planned to buy a caravan this year but, you know, the year threw a lot of curveballs).

I also plan to save half my earnings, and reduce my possessions by half. If I can keep up with my fitness goals that would be great too.

5 Likes

@_nin thanks though we need a positive outlook xxx

1 Like

Live on my own :frowning:
but continue to grow veg :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m going to be doing some more charity volunteering, I’d also like to be able to move out of my parents house but I’ll need to save up a little more first :blush:

4 Likes

At the rate it’s going I’ll probably move in with my OH which will be very different. Only time I lived with a OH was after a couple years dating. Been staying at his place a lot majority of the time and very much am enjoying it. Also paint/sketch more.

4 Likes

I’d love to finally go abroad next year. I always wanted to see various places all around the world. but this never happened due to my marriage with my ex husband. Now I finally have a passport and people who will go with me so I can’t wait to go abroad.

7 Likes

It may sound cheesy, but just try to be a kind, better person to others. After this crappy year, i hope we can all be kinder to each other.

7 Likes