christmas traditions :D

Just saw santa!!! :D every year where I live santa comes round on his sleigh, pulled by a tractor instead of reindeer (they get tired) and he plays very loud christmas songs so everyone can hear him coming, everyone then flocks outside, like i've just done, and give him a wave and can donate to the elves for charity as they come around :D
Its so much fun and makes you feel so so so good and christmassy! :D
Course not everyone enjoys this tradition as my scrooge neighbour just proved my shouting at the elf who knocked on his door. I suitable gave him evils and he shall not be getting a christmas card. Poor elf is only doing her job afterall.
So what is everyone elses traditions?? :D dyou have your own santa who comes round? xx

Yes! We had our very own santa on his tractor pulled sleigh last night! Kids get excited and nipped out to say hello.

Fluffbags wrote:

Yes! We had our very own santa on his tractor pulled sleigh last night! Kids get excited and nipped out to say hello.

yayy :D haha isnt it just the best feeling? ^_^
i have no children unfortunately but I took my new kitten out to see him and she sat in my arms :D x

Ork wrote:

They knock at doors asking for cash for charity? If you tried that here they would set the whole thing alight, then proceed to lynch the elfs hahaha :v and someone would joy ride the tractor and sell it for scrap.

Nah but really, I get the point in it all but knocking on doors asking for charity is asking for trouble, not everyone can afford to give, or really cares.

You dont have to give lol. And besides its terrible to yell at someone for doing a job. If you dont want to give you just say nope or no sorry and they say no worries have a merry christmas and continue on their way its not an expected thing. Besides its christmas, he shouldnt have been such a dick, you shouldve seen Jacks face he just turned to me and was like "I hate your new neighbour" xx

Wouldnt it just be the best feeling if it was Lovehoney santa coming to deliver gifts for all the naughty boys and girls :D (Although, thats my postman a few times a month woohooo)

There's a town procession at home and kids can go to santa's grotto for a present - I have no idea if parents pay for that because I didn't question that as a kid. I don't know if there are any traditions in the uni town.

:D be brilliant if he had pressies atall hahahaha, but then he has alot of places to go! xx

Father Christmas is led round our village by a decorated VW Beetle! He used to use a double decker bus :o)

Cat Lady wrote:

There's a town procession at home and kids can go to santa's grotto for a present - I have no idea if parents pay for that because I didn't question that as a kid. I don't know if there are any traditions in the uni town.

Awesome :D they have a grotto in our town centre aswell :D i presume they do lol but noone asks

bumble wrote:

Father Christmas is led round our village by a decorated VW Beetle! He used to use a double decker bus :o)

hahaha riding in style ;)

Ork wrote:

goodgirl93 wrote:

Ork wrote:

They knock at doors asking for cash for charity? If you tried that here they would set the whole thing alight, then proceed to lynch the elfs hahaha :v and someone would joy ride the tractor and sell it for scrap.

Nah but really, I get the point in it all but knocking on doors asking for charity is asking for trouble, not everyone can afford to give, or really cares.

You dont have to give lol. And besides its terrible to yell at someone for doing a job. If you dont want to give you just say nope or no sorry and they say no worries have a merry christmas and continue on their way its not an expected thing. Besides its christmas, he shouldnt have been such a dick, you shouldve seen Jacks face he just turned to me and was like "I hate your new neighbour" xx

Well... personally I would be annoyed by some random asking for anything at my door, bad enough when my dog goes out and they talk to him, then he won't come in and they keep him there by talking to him, next thing you know you have the watchtower in your hand... asking for charity is not something I like people doing.

They do it a lot at our town centre and get all hissy when people dodge them, giving and giving under pressure are different things. Personally I would have settled for the old fashioned blank stare and closing of the door, but coming to someones personal property and asking for money just isn't right. Being a dick isn't right either but it's something people should expect.

Meh i dunno these arent pushy collectors, id be annoyed if they were but they arent. And there should deffo be some leway around christmas, especially when theres children around. I agree with you though if someone really didnt want to or felt harrassed they shoulda just shut the door n said nothing. xx

Ork wrote:

goodgirl93 wrote:

Ork wrote:

Well... personally I would be annoyed by some random asking for anything at my door, bad enough when my dog goes out and they talk to him, then he won't come in and they keep him there by talking to him, next thing you know you have the watchtower in your hand... asking for charity is not something I like people doing.

They do it a lot at our town centre and get all hissy when people dodge them, giving and giving under pressure are different things. Personally I would have settled for the old fashioned blank stare and closing of the door, but coming to someones personal property and asking for money just isn't right. Being a dick isn't right either but it's something people should expect.

I'm with you, Ork. I hate doorstop sellers/charity collectors/religious canvassers, and the town centre sellers/collectors too. I always feel pressured and guilty when I turn them away so I prefer to avoid them altogether. I steer well clear of such people in town centres if I can.

I'd like to donate to charity in the future when I (hopefully) have a decent income and can afford it but I'd rather pick just one charity and donate in my own time and in a manner of my choosing. I'd just feel happier doing it that way.

Having said that, I would never abuse a charity collector. I'd just make an excuse about having to run or not having money on me. In a way I admire their courage in doing something I never could (I have enough trouble talking to people I know, let alone strangers in the street)

alright my point was there was no need for him to shout at her as ive said already if hed have just shut the door i wouldnt of been as pissed off at him as it was he was really horrid. Oh god I had a job once going around with questionnaires for the council, never again. people can be so horrid x

Shouting at people is mean and in most cases unnecessary. Could give someone a real complex :-(

I didn't even know about our local santa on wheels until about two years ago! I was SO excited!

I don't give much to charities I don't know enough about. Also, the ones who hassle you on the street to sign up and give monthly I totally avoid. Not because I don't care about their charity, but because I don't want to pay their wages! :)

Just trying to think back but I don't remember a single charity knocking at the door when I was little

There were the Remembrance Day poppy collection and the Scouts with theit Guy Fawkes

Nothing all at Christmas time

The only tradition we have is me and the OH opening our naughty gifts at bedtime on Xmas day..... Nice end to a nice day really!

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Nah, no real traditions for anything like that.

Though, when I was young I would spend a lot of time in a small village where one of my best friends lived (still lives) and there used to be an old bloke who everyone called "Santa" because he looked so much like him. I don't think anyone knows his real name! Heh!

But my friend was telling me the other day about how "Santa" played Santa at the local garden centre one year, and he had this one little boy sit on his lap and say "You're not the real Santa!" And pulled is (real) beard. When it didn't come off, the little boy was terrified! "I'm sooooo sorry Santa. I didn't mean to Santa!" Haha! Poor little kid thought he was going to get a lump of coal in his stocking!

hahaha! serves him right :P imagine all the other children. xx