Confused.com

Yesterday and today I have had 2 calls + a number of texts from an unrecognised number and text back as you do who and what do you want ? I work for ( my bank) very suspicious so left it there and contacted my bank who since tell me that’s this is now the norm that agents will contact me from a mobile number ??? I just thought I’d share it with you in case anyone has heard of this it’s a new one on me! Funny really the bank don’t want to know me in normal circumstances when I got no money the moment I have some they remember who I am ??? Why do you think that happens?

1 Like

I take no notice of stuff like that. If i want something from my bank i will contact them. There’s too many scams going around nowadays. It’s ironic that they text or phone you knowing how wary we all are!

6 Likes

I had a text message saying mr… has tried to set up a account but it failed then it said click on this link. I have never had any scam messages to do with the bank this was certainly a scam as the bank that was mentioned wasn’t even my bank.

Years ago someone did somehow get my bank details and was taking out money it was very small amounts so i never noticed it straight away. I only noticed because i saw o transaction for a oyster card. This was about 21 years ago. Now i check my accounts at least once a week.

3 Likes

@WillC @teacake I normally go direct to my bank , when I go in they ask if I have the app ( which I do ) but normally put money in cash they asked me what I want to do I told them and their response was do it online, I asked them I was unaware of the leap in technology! Why they said ? You can physically push money through my mobile and it will come out at the branch, they said no it can’t do that, that’s why I am here ! Lol

1 Like

Recently tried to do some online banking whilst on holiday (pay day) and instead of asking for the 3rd, 7th and 12th letter/number of my password they asked for similar of my “memorable info”
Of course, i had forgotten what that was, and if i knew i’d still have to write it down to work out the 3rd, 7th and 12th symbols!
It’s supposedly progress! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

It’s all business :man_office_worker:t2: when someone has something that invests into a company, i.e. the bank, they become very friendly as part of their customer satisfaction experience. But when you no longer have what they want then your yesterdays news :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@AJSTAR i must be out of favour with lots of people then lol :+1:

1 Like

You’ve got us lot @Gazza_64

No matter what.

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

3 Likes

I’ll take your money off you to stop the nuisance calls…

1 Like

Haha I share the same thoughts as only get junk emails for bizarre things :crazy_face:

2 Likes

@CurvyJilly :kissing_heart: @Craig1234 I got my mrs and kids for that mate :+1: @AJSTAR thanks I get enough of them too :face_vomiting:

This ia a new one on me, though all banks operate differently.

Hmm certainly sounds a bit strange. Don’t think I would trust anyone claiming they are from a bank from unsolicited calls. I would expect to deal with anything important in person.

I just happen to be watching these scambait videos on youtube recently and it’s scary how often people fall for scams.

2 Likes

No you do not “As you do” Text back. Doing so will show your number as now live, meaning the scammer can now sell your number onto other scammers who in turn will try a different approach.

A while back I wrote quite a long post on what scams to look for, it appeared to be not popular and is now lost in the either. Yet thousands of people are scammed out of thousands on a daily basis.

If you do not recognise the text ignore, if you do not recognise the email ignore, if you do not recognise the phone number/or its a withheld number ignore. Friends or people you know will leave a message. Never ever click a link in a message from some one you are not sure about.

I am sure you are all aware of the above, but some people are not.

4 Likes

Coincidentally i just received a text telling me i needed to pay £1.45 or my Evri delivery would be returned to sender. I have no deliveries due, and virtually everything i buy online the delivery charge is included in the price.
So i just blocked the number without clicking on the link.

2 Likes

That is a quite well known scam. Out of the hundreds of numbers they send that message to one person will probably be expecting a delivery from that company. Other names they use include Royal mail or some popular retail shop.
They are not interested in the £1.45 just your bank account details. To pay the amount you would have to click a link that takes you to a fraudulent website, you will then be asked to fill in your bank details to “Pay” the amount. Once you have done that you have just given your money away.

Sounds pretty easy to recognise as a scam right? Many people are still being caught out by this.

3 Likes

Definitely! There was a tax refund scam a few years ago and a lot of my workmates got texts. I pointed out to them that HMRC had all their info except their mobile number, and that if they were due a refund HMRC would notify them by mail.
I will add, that i am a sceptical bugger!

2 Likes

@WillC no mate just Worldly wise I’d say J like to think that I am switched on but you get a senior moment I always tell my eldest sir you get anything like that don’t respond if they want you they will write to you :+1:

1 Like

Cynically jaded i am! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Scammers elicit emotions, it will either be greed - in the form of being told that you’re getting a refund or fear - someone is taking your money.

There is a very common scam with an automated msg advising 2 payments have been requested, £600 by Amazon and £1000+ in some type of international payment. Press whichever button if you didn’t make the payments and then you get put through to the scammer who is going to take all your details.

Thankfully I’ve had a lot of customers phoning to query this and not give any info.
The delivery charge is an easy one that catches people out as most people have a delivery from somewhere on the way.

3 Likes