contraception, anti depressants and periods

Right, I need a little help, I have had the implant for almost three years and I will need to go get it changed in a few months. I started taking some new anti depressants a couple months ago, and lately I will randomly start my period (when before I only had one every six months) then think maybe I miscalculated, but then a couple of hours to a day later I will just stop bleeding all together. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem with contraception and anti depressants. It's doing my head in because I aren't prepared for it half the time?

Sorry can't give you any advice but can sympathize as my o.h just has problem periods, can also send you a hug

I dont know about anti depressants but could it be the implant? I take the pop mini pill which is almost like the implant but in pill form. Ive been on it almost 8 years now and have no periods.

but for the first few years it was unpredictable. Even just 2-3 years back (so about 5-6 years in) i would get odd periods. Usually it was when i weed there would be period blood, and i would put a pad on but there would be barely any blood on it. It would randomly happen so i started wearing those pantyliners incase i got caught out. The nurse at the gp had said that its just one of the unpredictabilities of the hormonal contraceptives.

Yeah hun, im the same ive got the implant, n now have2 have the pill 2, but still randomly starr bleeding sometimes onky for2 hrs then nothing, its a right pain x

I had never had any kind of problem with my implant until I got prescribed the anti depressants? Maybe they don't mix well? I've not got a clue :(

I've heard starting new antidepressants while taking an oral birth control pill can cause breakthrough bleeding, nausea, headache, all the fun hormonal things because of the way they both work in the body. Not sure on the implant but it sounds the same?

Could be worth a trip to the GP sooner rather than later to check it's nothing else. They may need to switch your prescription if they think it is a side effect.

Yeah, I think I will book an appointment for sometime next week! A load of rubbish! My body is punishing me for not being pregnant and not been sane xD

If you're implant is running out, they tend to go a bit funky and disruptive.
It's probably worth seeing about a mini pill to take whilst you finish up with this one and ease into the new implant. It'll just neaten stuff up.

Honestly though, if you're taking more than one medication, you're kinda fucked. There are so many side effects, and those on ''womens health'' aren't particularly deemed important to pharma companies, and you're just expected to deal with -.-

Try a mini pill, see what happens. It should clear things up, and once you get used to the anti-depressants it should settle anyway as you return to a stable hormone level.

there are web sites were you can type in all your meds and it will list all interactions/problems etcetera. Just Google medications interactions. Good luck.

fairehlights wrote:

If you're implant is running out, they tend to go a bit funky and disruptive.
It's probably worth seeing about a mini pill to take whilst you finish up with this one and ease into the new implant. It'll just neaten stuff up.

Honestly though, if you're taking more than one medication, you're kinda fucked. There are so many side effects, and those on ''womens health'' aren't particularly deemed important to pharma companies, and you're just expected to deal with -.-

Try a mini pill, see what happens. It should clear things up, and once you get used to the anti-depressants it should settle anyway as you return to a stable hormone level.

I think I will have to! But I think I want to find out where I stand with the anti d''s as I aren't sure these ones are helping so much at the min xx

paulsballs wrote:

there are web sites were you can type in all your meds and it will list all interactions/problems etcetera. Just Google medications interactions. Good luck.

Oh, I didn't know. I will give it a go!

What're you on?
You tend to have to go through a few before you find one that works, but it still stands, once you're on one for a while- whether you like it or not- it should settle down a bit :)

I have so many issue with contraceptives and taking other medcines, they always mess things up. Antidepressants definatey had an effect for me. I have to have medicine to stop my period pain and can not take any contraceptive not even the coil as it messes things up :(

The implant won't be running out, 3 years is the reccomended time to wear one but they've been proven to do double that effectively, unless in larger ladies. They can interact so best to tell your doctor and have one of them change, although they should have known that before giving you it, could be an uncommon interaction. Have you checked the booklets that come with both?

fairehlights wrote:

What're you on?
You tend to have to go through a few before you find one that works, but it still stands, once you're on one for a while- whether you like it or not- it should settle down a bit :)

Sertraline at the moment :/ it made me loopy for weeks! I was shaking and gurning. anyone would of thought I was some kind of cracking or smack addict!

YummyMummy15 wrote:

I have so many issue with contraceptives and taking other medcines, they always mess things up. Antidepressants definatey had an effect for me. I have to have medicine to stop my period pain and can not take any contraceptive not even the coil as it messes things up :(

Oh my. That sounds awful. I wouldn't mind but I have to take tablets for all sorts!!

Young and fun95 wrote:

The implant won't be running out, 3 years is the reccomended time to wear one but they've been proven to do double that effectively, unless in larger ladies. They can interact so best to tell your doctor and have one of them change, although they should have known that before giving you it, could be an uncommon interaction. Have you checked the booklets that come with both?

I got the implant just after the birth of my daughter, so almost 3 years ago. It has to be changed in the tenth month. and started taking my anti depressants a couple of months back. The doctor didn't ask me if I was taking other meds, so at the time I didn't think anything if it. Until problems started to occur! I was too emotional that I was finally been treated for my self harm and suicidal tendencies. X

I have always suffered horrendously with my periods. Seriously I get so overly emotional & take mood swings when I'm generally quite a happy person. The worst part though is the pain & sickness I experience for a week out of the month :'(I went on birth control from a young age as my gp advised me 2 due to the severity of my menstrual cycle suffering. So i defiantly sympathize with you chic.
Although I never did try the implant myself. I started with the pill but found myself forgetting on the odd occasion and also didn't find it helped. I moved onto the injection which was incredible my period woes were over, but this didn't come without consequence tho! I put on a fair bit of weight & nl matter how hard I tried I couldn't shift it. But at the time when I wasn't trying to get pregnant I didn't mind to much as it took all the suffering away.
Definitely worth seeing you're gp about it though. It does sound like maybe the anti depressants aren't agreeing with you. I hope you get it sorted out soon kinks

I'm on both, the anti depressants don't affect it, i've taken a break from them and still i can go months without, spot 2 months in a row, get cramp but no spotting, etc just like when i do take them. I've had the implant for a year, the

The implant just makes periods infrequent, i'd be very surprised if you wouldn't have experienced the same pattern without the antidepressants. I guess in one way i'm "lucky" in that 12-24 hours prior to any bleeding i get cramp so have a preparation warning, but then i wear liners every day anyway so i'd probably be ok if i don't get pre cramps.

Are liners not an option for you? I wear them as i think i have a rather heavy natural discharge (which reduced dramatically on the implant, no more feeling like its a light period every day!) but even now i can't stand a wet feeling, plus i was always bleaching the colour out of my underwear and i was paranoid about staining or odours etc.

Thank you all so much! I will definitely be going back the doctors! And eventually finding a balance!