Contraceptive Implant

i've had mine taken out because I'm exhibiting all the pregnancy signs. Just waiting now until my period arrives or I get a positive test.

Id warn you that the implant has very similar (if not the same) hormones as cerazette. Most people are fine on this, but I got a constant period for months....Probably not what you want when travelling...

I would like to point out in regards to that article that while it is sad for the women who got pregnant, they are naive to think that getting pregnant was impossible. No method of contraception is 100% guaranteed. Considering the thousands of women across the country who have it, it's probably not unrealistic for a few hundred of them to end up pregnant. As long as it was inserted correctly, I do think it's a bit ridiculous for the NHS to be paying out to these women - they must have known it couldnt be 100% effective when they had it.

Furthermore, Implanon is being stopped on the NHS for a new one. I can't remember its name, but it's biologically the same, but it's easier for the doctors to insert and shows up on X-ray scans which will help if there is a problem in its removal. Although they're not withdrawing Implanon, the new one will be used when they use up their supplies of Implanon.

Hmmm, I remember when I had Implanon about 6 years ago the doctor told me it was 100% effective, so much so that if it were to fail I could "probably sue them" (her actual words). I never held such faith in it, 100% leaves absolutely no margin for error whatsoever so I'm surprised that the claim was made at all.

As for them failing, I wonder if it was a dodgy batch (technical term...)? I've also heard of studies that show that an increased BMI can alter the effectiveness of Implanon, especially in the third year. I wonder if that was the case at all?

Didn't know that about the new implant, Ecksvie. Will have to look that up later.

When they were debating over what to put me on, they did mention Implanon and claim it was 100% effective, no risk of failure at all, so there does seem to be a habit of them not mentioning it to women. They've said the same thing about the coil. Still debating over how much I believe that, although I can buy that it's as effective as is possible outside of just abstaining altogether or getting snipped (the only truly 100% methods!).

It does sound like a dodgy batch though, since so many others were displaying serious reactions.

Ugh, I've just found that this story is on the front cover of the Daily Mail, the only paper we have in our house. My dad is bound to notice it and start preaching at me.

I know BMI does affexct the implant. They won't give it to you if you're over 130% of your ideal weight, and in the third year the dosage of hormone you're getting is lower than the first two, so it might have been a factor.

Exksvi / Alice - The next implant by the same company that shows up on xrays, etc. Is called Nexplanon

Implanon’s manufacturer MSD, a subsidiary of global pharmaceutical giant Merck, has now replaced it with an updated product called Nexplanon, which has a new pre-loaded applicator and can be detected by X-ray or CT scan.

Taken from that daily mail link.

We researched into the implant and from everything we found it looked great, my other half tried to get it done by her nurse but freaked out after the initial anesthetic and could not go through with it. Kind of glad having read this article saying how bad it potentially may be. However the pill has been a bit dodgy for her so far, for the past 3 months (every other month - twice), she has had double periods. Her doctor has just put her up a strength and told her to come back if she is still having the same problems.

Wow, how very Daily Mail.

How on earth could someone fail to notice that the implant wasn't actually in their arm?! I got shown how to feel where mine was under the skin after it was inserted.

That said, I got mine done at a proper family planning centre, and friends who just popped to their local GP for the implant seem to have had rather less smooth experiences with the whole inserting/removing process.

xx

MissFortune wrote:

Wow, how very Daily Mail. External Media

How on earth could someone fail to notice that the implant wasn't actually in their arm?! I got shown how to feel where mine was under the skin after it was inserted.

That said, I got mine done at a proper family planning centre, and friends who just popped to their local GP for the implant seem to have had rather less smooth experiences with the whole inserting/removing process.

xx

That could well be it. I got mine at a GUM clinic where I imagine all the doctors do that kind of thing every day. It's a good half an hour to my nearest GUM clinic whereas my GP is 5 minutes away, but I'd really rather go somewhere where I knew they really knew what they were doing.

Nexplanon, that's the one. I knew it had an X in it.

I've got the implant. Had it fitted at the family planning clinic. They told me it was more than 99% effective, less than one in a hundred woman fall pregnant in the first year.

Yep, this is basically the biggest non-story ever.

584 women have gotten pregnant on the implant.

1.4 million women have the implant.

Do the maths.

xx

*stops worrying so much*

missfortune, that makes a lot of sense.. thanks for calming my nerves ^_^ i'm all about sensationalist news reporting!! i called my local family planning clinic where i had the implant, uh, implanted... and they told me much the same thing, but that the side effects that i was experiencing personally should be checked out - so i've bitten the bullet and made an appointment with the doctor (yaay)

When I was travelling I had the injection.

Implants are bloody dangerous as when I had mine, stuck out my arm and got ripped out !!!

Me too. I chose the depo Injection for when I went on holiday and have been using it since.

It works great. It was crap for the first 3 months (spotting and extremely lethargic) but the second shot really helped with easing off my periods all together and my mood.

The Implant option always seemed a little extreme for me.

I think the reason why the story got so big was perhaps the boom in women getting pregnant with it.

Wow - I was told by my doctor that noone has gotten pregnant on it.

This is kind of surprising - Im happy I didnt go down that route (mainly from fear of needles, but still)

x X x wrote:

Me too. I chose the depo Injection for when I went on holiday and have been using it since.

It works great. It was crap for the first 3 months (spotting and extremely lethargic) but the second shot really helped with easing off my periods all together and my mood.

The Implant option always seemed a little extreme for me.

I think the reason why the story got so big was perhaps the boom in women getting pregnant with it.

I dont see why. For me it was between the implant and the injection, but it would be such a hassle going back every three months for an injection, especially considering I absolutely had no intention of having a baby in the next three years. To me, getting needled every three months seems extreme!

Anything with "Daily Mail" stamped on it is almost 100% certain to be exaggerated or absolute bullshit.

Proceed reading with caution and look out for actual figures rather than taking their "words" seriously!

Remember hundreds may be a tiny % of the total number of women and it doesn't tell you over how long in that snippet (refuses to go on the link - the Daily Mail is one of the worst publications after the sun) .

Adx

Ecksvie wrote:

Ugh, I've just found that this story is on the front cover of the Daily Mail, the only paper we have in our house. My dad is bound to notice it and start preaching at me.

I know BMI does affexct the implant. They won't give it to you if you're over 130% of your ideal weight, and in the third year the dosage of hormone you're getting is lower than the first two, so it might have been a factor.

I'm sorry for you.

Although I certainly wouldn't read the rag (S*n) I did see a headline today:

JO'S BODY ONLY HAD ONE SOCK

Or something like that. Great Britain ey? Gives a shite about the sock of a dead lady more than anything else in the world.

I've just done the maths. If the 0.05% failure rate held true, 700 women out of the 1.4 million would have got pregnant. If 594 women got pregnant, then it's actually done better than it was expected to.