Contraceptive Implant

Hi people... well we've just been given a great opportunity to take time out of work and travel.

My Mrs is currently on the pill (Microgynon) and its coming to that time in about a week just before we leave. As we're going to be travelling we're concerned that the pill might prove impractical (i.e. we'll both forget about it) and have been considering the contraceptive implant however the local clinic doesn't seem to have time to see us before we leave (its all been a little last minute). Does anyone on LH either use the implant or do/know anything regarding it?

We're going to try the drop in clinic at that time and hope one can be fitted then. We'll be away for a whopping 6 months so the injection isn't a practical alternative.... and yes.. we're very lucky!

Hey sxe couple21 - congratulations on the work/ travel thing - where will you be jetting off to for the rest of this year?

I didn't know anything about the contraceptive implant until last year, when a girl I used to live with told us about them. It seemed pretty odd at the time (you could feel the little implant on the top inside part of her arm - a rather novel experience the first time she drunkenly decided to show us :P), but I have to say it seems like a great idea. Considering the etonorgestrol hormone is released for about three years, it does sound like a good idea if you're going to be away for a length of time.

The only thing that I'd say, is ensure that there's a qualified professional (a family planning clinic or the such) where you're going to be moving to, because I'm not sure if all medical staff are qualified to remove the implant if any problems arose, or if the Mrs decided that she didn't like it.

There are some people who are unable to have the implant - history of cancer and liver disease are two factors (of the top of my head) that I believe means you cannot use it. Definitely something to check with the GP though, and it'd be general procedure anyhow!

Again, I'd say ask the nurse or doctor, but there can be side-effects, and occasionally irregular periods (particularly in the first year), but 1/5 of women with the implant stop having periods altogether. Other side effects appear to be similar to other contraceptive methods, but again vary depending on the person.

The implant is inserted using a needle, and under local anaesthetic, so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be painful. My old housemate didn't have a scar and it wasn't visible either, so that's an added bonus. I don't know if it would fit into your plan, but they usually insert it 5 days after the period has started (presumably to ensure the woman is not pregnant) so I hope you're able to get it done!

Hi sxe_couple21 - wow what a fantastic opportunity.

I think it's all going to be down to how long you have before you have to leave. Is your local clinic your only option for contraceptive advice - e.g. are there any others in the area (sexual health advisory clinics, well woman clinics, FPA, Brooke, etc) that can see you? My worry would be that you are rushing into using an untried contraceptive method that might cause your partner problems far from assistance. I haven't any experience of sub-dermal implants personally but I am using the coil, and that's not something you can get just like that, nor is it plain sailing.

Why is your OH on Microgynon anyway, if you don't mind my asking? Is it for contraception only or is it for other benefits i.e. menstrual regulation, easing of PMT/ cramps etc? If she has managed to take it thus far, why would your both going away cause difficulties? Can she not just ask for a 6 month supply then take it with her breakfast (and you can remind her!)? Or is there a specific reason why taking the pill abroad would be a problem?

Failing that, all else I could recommend would be a "party pack" of condoms, which you should be able to get from your clinic.

Whatever you do, the very best of luck and have a wonderful time X

Condoms are a bit of a nightmare, we really struggle to get ones that 'fit' well, don't tear etc. If thats the answer then we'll go with it but we'd both hoped to avoid having to use them.

She's on the pill purely for contraceptive purposes and has been for a long time now, the problem with it is that we will be in a (small) motorhome for 6 months, not leading a very regimented life and the chances of her (and I) forgetting about it is high.

We'll be travelling in western europe to start with so if problems arise I'm fairly confident we could find someone to remove the implant. I'm wondering if it may be irritated by sporting activity etc. if its inserted somewhere near the tricep.

Hey again - I was on Microgynon for almost 20 years (with a break for a pregnancy) with no ill effects, so if taking it for along time is a concern, unless there are any other problems with it, your OH should be OK to continue.

At the risk of sounding trite, put the pills next to your toothbrushes, so that when you go to brush your teeth or have your first pee of a morning, they are there to remind you (alternatively, put them next to the coffee). If I remember correctly, being a combined pill, you have a window of about 12 hours to take Microgynon, so your partner doesn't have to take them at exactly the same time every day.

Sorry if I am sounding like an advocate for the Pill (I'm not) - I am just thinking that you might not have enough time to sort out an implant before you go and that you will be stressing over that instead of enjoynig planning for your trip. Much love and a shed-load of envy

Firstly congratulations you lucky pair - what an opportunity of a lifetime.

Second - to agree with JayGee - I don't think there is enough time before you go to acclimatise to the implant. I have no had that one - but had many brands of pill and the injection - they all seriously messed with my cycle, and thus our sex life. Pretty much had none for 9 months due to being unwell all the time. But that's not to say that It may be successful for you an others, just citing my own personal experiences.

Enjoy!!

imagine a camper van, a small one, driving past you on the M1, then pack it full of everything you need to live for 6 months, plus some food and a tonne of sporting equipment, camera equipment and the rest, then take a look at that shiny green packet, on average it gets forgotten about at least once a year, in the van it will be more frequent, with the best will in the world I can guarantee it. think the stress and hassle of finding some levenel at that point in time might outweigh us rushing around trying to get an implant sorted before we leave...

I get where you are coming from....no pun intended. But 'most' contraceptive forms need careful monitering in the intial settling in time.

Where in her cycle is your partner - its most efective if implanted during the first five days after a period.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relationships/facts/contraceptiveimplant.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/relationships/sex_and_sexual_health/contr_implant.shtml

that period (no pun intended) arises in around a weeks time!

hmm when i first went to go on the pill my docotor said that if id got on with the one she gave me that in a year/year and half's time they could give me an implant of it, so this has me thinking that the implant is of the same make of the pill's you can get so im guessing that they wouldnt need to keep checking on her if shes been on the same pill for over a year, however you might be stuffed if they dont do an implant of her type of pill shes taking at the mo, cos i think naughty and jaygee are right that if its a new type of pill/implant you havent had before they will want to keep on eye on you.

Dxx

The trouble with an implant is that if it goes wrong or has annoying side effects it could wreck your trip. I know it's not what you want to hear, but condoms and existing OK pill are the best bets to be honest. Your choice, but I wouldn't risk contraception you hadn't tried before for a long trip sorry!

Oh and you can buy emergency contraception in advance as a just in case. Just explain to the chemist/doctor and any sensible one will think that's a sensible precaution.

My wife had an implant about sixth months ago. Apart from a bit of itching around the implant for the first few days she had no problems, and no period for about the first 3 months, followed by a period that lasted for weeks and weeks - not heavy but like the damn painters and decorators just wanted to keep touching up the gloss on the dado rail and wouldn't pack up and leave. Doctor prescribed her a couple of months worth of pills to get the pattern re-established and now things seem better. If you do it I'd recommend you get them to prescribe you a few packs of pills to take with you as well, but I'd say you're better of leaving it as if you want it out you're much better going to someone who has beent trained and does it regularly than having to go to a doctor in a country where they aren't used.

not heavy but like the damn painters and decorators just wanted to keep touching up the gloss on the dado rail and wouldn't pack up and leave

That is a perfect analogy and just what I was trying to find the words to say.

So much is written about the implant, how it frees you up etc....and they just skim over the negative parts...which is pretty damm important. Nothing worse than having the painters in for so long. I had the coil fitted - for pain relief....cured my pain so to speak but the painters stayed for an almost constant 8 months!! I was well cheesed off I can tell you.

To the original OP - I hope that you have been given some informed ideas....and choose whats best for you as a couple in the end. Still like the idea of putting the pills next to the toothbrush though.

Good Luck

as per usual thanks LH, we'll make sure to send a postcard.

very interesting, ive never been on the pill but have had the implant... it got removed only last week after 'the painters had been in'' since november. i now have a special ring with the same hormones as the pill, implant and patch and its squeezable and goes inside your V-jay.... you wear it 4 3 weeks n have a week free. its great and make sex just that bit more sensual too. its washable and stuff just remember to put it back in. lol..

its been great and the painters have left the building. LMAO

its called nuvaring ..... check it out!

I've heard of comfort issues with the coil and as we're both pretty active all round I think we're in agreement that it wouldn't be ideal (nothing is).

The mobile phone reminder etc. is what we'll be doing, the problem is we won't necessairly be able to charge it reliably. Being near civilsation doesn't seem too much on the agenda and the van battery will only last so long running everything whilst parked up.

I'm sure we'll get round it.

I've got the implant, and I'm happy to share my experiences with it.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. There's a few minor side effects, but I do believe this is the best method for me.

I got mine fitted at the end of January this year. Had to wait ages to have it done since I'd missed a period before that, although I think my doctor wanted to wait out to check I wasnt pregnant, even though I knew I couldnt be!

Made an appointment as soon as my period came and got it fitted a few days later. It doesnt hurt - there are times when it's slightly uncomfortable, but it's really okay, and you can trust me on that because I have a really low pain threshold!

Once it's in, they wrap that part of your arm in a bandage and you have to keep it like that for three days. You can't get this bandage wet, so showering is a rather interesting experience. I had to wear long sleeves for that time to hide it from other people. Taking the bandage off was actually quite painful. I discovered after taking it off that putting pressure on the implant stops your arm from hurting, which I suppose is what part of the bandage was for. However, having your arm anything less than dead straight was quite painful. I ended up taking the day off college; I'm doing a computer based course and having my arm bent to the keyboard was not a fun idea! Still, this pain only lasted half a day at the most.

Three weeks later, my period rolled in, a week later than it should have been. Once it came, I bled every day for three months. No kidding. It wasn't serious bleeding, in fact most of the time I didnt even bother with a pad or a tampon, there was so little blood, but it was definitely there, and there seemed to be quite a bit coming out after sex too.

Three months later, the bleeding abruptly stopped, and I haven't bled since (about two and a half months ago now). Taken two tests in that time, not pregnant! No periods or anything. Woohoo!

To summarise,

Things I like about it:

-Not having to worry about putting it in before sex or having to remember to take a pill every day or anything. I only have to go back for a replacement once every three years!

- Less period pains. Before, I'd have one day a month where I'd feel terrible and want to day. Now I get the very occasional mild cramp.

-No periods, now the initial settling in period has ended.

-No loss of contact or feeling with my partner during sex.

-It can't fall out or go wrong (it could, but cases of it doing so are very rare) like the coil. It always works, I dont have to worry about taking a pill too late or repeated doctors visits for jabs!

-I went from a 34C to a 34F a few months after my implant was fitted! Woohoo!

Things I dont like:

-Mood swings. I'm not as bad as some people have said they are, I think I'm very lucky actually, but at certain times of the month it takes nothing to put me in a foul mood and keep me there for hours, even when the reason for being sad has gone. On the flip side though, sometimes I get really happy moods for no reason!

-Really minor thing, but no periods means no monthly confirmation I'm not pregnant. No worries though, I got a load of cheap pregnancy tests from eBay and I take one every month or two, just to set my mind at rest.

-Slight weight gain. Nothing serious though. Before I was on the size 12-14 borderline, now I'm just 14.

You'll notice there's alot more things I like about it than don't like. Given the research I've done, it does seem the best option for me. Heard alot of bad things about many of the others.

As a long term contraceptive, I would really recommend it based on my experiences of it. HOWEVER, if you're going on a trip, then be aware that many of the side effects take place in the early months of having it. Would your trip be ruined if your partner was bleeding every day? Could she deal with mood swings she might get? There's alot of good points to the implant, but remember there are side effects, and if you're going on a trip then you'll need to deal with these while you're away.

If you've got any more questions for someone who's actually had it, I'll be happy to help :)

Also, forgot to mention that it generally takes 7 days to become effective, so you'll need to use condoms during this time.

*jumps on shock news reporting bandwagon*

ARGH!! External Media

Hundreds of women have become pregnant after a long-term contraceptive implant (implanon) failed, it emerged last night.

Even more have complained that they were left injured or scarred by the rod inserted into their arm, which was supposed to protect them against conceiving for three years.

The NHS has had to pay compensation to women hurt when the implants were inserted and seven women who were left traumatised by unexpectedly becoming pregnant have received payouts totalling more than £200,000 – an average of more than £28,000 each.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1344132/Contraceptive-implant-alert-Hundreds-women-pregnant-birth-control-fails.html#ixzz1A8rsqt9d

*scratches at arm* i've been putting off going to the doctors about the side effects i've been experiencing... but this is probably the push i need.. i've been bleeding heavily every fortnight and spotting in between... i'm really worried now...!! :(